I got my Blizzcon ticket, did you?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Gaming
Long story short, I got my Blizzcon ticket! The world had better not end now!;D

I had 2 computers set up, my main PC and my laptop. I logged into my 2 battle.net accounts, one on each computer. From around 12:40 to 12:51, I kept a mild rate of refeshing on each computer.

Anyone who tells you to hit F5 is an IDIOT. If you do that, once the sale screen changes, you then have to move your hand from the keyboard to the mouse to go and click it! I use the mouse on the Refresh icon in IE8.

So around 12:51, I started getting excited and refreshing faster, and was sitting in front of the computer, fresh from the shower, and managed to calm myself down until 12:56 like I said I would.

So 12:56 finally came, and I went to full speed refreshing on both computers. 12:57, 12:58, 12:59, 1:00 IT CHANGED!!!!! HIT THE CHECKOUT ICON NOW!!!!!!!!!

My main PC got into the queue first, at #2029. Literally less than 2 seconds later, my laptop got in at #5700.

I did it, I'm guaranteed a ticket. NO WAY can they sell out from #2028 forward only!

So I watched the queue numbers and ticket stock percentages count down. My main PC hit zero, I got in, and GOT MY BLIZZCON TICKET!!!

The laptop got down to #1700 in the queue then they sold out.

Oh well, I got mine! I may try it again on the 25th, just to see if I'm fast enough to get a good spot again, then I will get out of the queue before buying anything.

And I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I was concerned that the internet lag between here and California would be enough to put me too far back in the queue, but it didn't.

My big queston is, how many tickets were sold in this first batch? 15,000?

For all you mathematical and statistics geniuses with nothing better to do, here's the queue numbers and percentages of remaining stock I wrote down as I went up through the ticket buying queue.:

Main PC - #2029, 100% #1176, 79% #626, 69% #294, 60% #110, 55%.

Laptop - #5700, 100% #4909, 78# #4400, 69% #4067, 60% #3887, 57% #3000, 37% #2504, 29% #2047, 16% #1700 - SOLD OUT.

This will be my second Blizzcon in a row. I hope I can afford to actually go! Last year I only had to drive 45 miles to get there. This year I have to fly in from Pittsburgh, rent a car, get a hotel or stay at a friends' house....

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    tl;dr

hurka durka
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    downvote.png
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    downvote.png
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited May 2011
    I would have gotten a ticket if I could have afforded it in the first place. This year I'm just going to stick with the virtual ticket, and maybe next year I'll be able to afford to even try to buy one haha. It sounds super cool, come October you best let us know how it goes!
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    What?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    The hell are you talking about?
    edited May 2011
    Feliz Cumpleanos! yesterday

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

:birthday:
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    What's Blizzcon?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Blizzcon is an event for gamers who play Starcraft, Diablo, and World of Warcraft, and is populated by gaming nerds of all shapes and sizes. Most are in the 15-25 age range, but there are some older people there as well. I have seen people in their 50's talking all hardcore about the details of their Human Mage characters in WoW, for example.

And of course, there is always THAT GUY. You know, about 6 foot 3, a good 400 pounds or so, with his 5 foot 2 girlfriend who is equally fat, and they wear shirts with their favorite game and/or character on it. He's so fat he does not have a clearly defined neck, his head just kind of flows into his chest somehow. And they were both so excited to come to Blizzcon that they both forgot to take showers for the past 3 days, and the waves of stink are coming off them like the waves of heat you can see rising off a hot paved parking lot in summer time.

If you can avoid the fat smelly slob couple, Blizzcon is a good time. I watched the Starcraft tournament closely last year, and between rounds I loked around at the WoW arena contests and other displays and things as well.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Why the hell would anyone want to go to that?
    edited May 2011
    Because this is fun to a gaming nerd? Kind of a niche market.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Because it's likely filled with 15-25 year old nerdy boys. Reason enough for me!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    So it's a con for pedos and lecherous ladies?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Tim wrote:
    IE8.
    wut?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Why do you have to pay for a ticket?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    You guys should all be ashamed of yourself.

Yes, Tim is Tim, we all know this. So he is excited about Blizzcon, So what? You all know what Blizzcon is. If an outsider came in and read this they would think we are a bunch of dicks.

Edit to say: Trolling is one thing, being outright mean as a group is another

-Digi
    edited May 2011
    Now, now, Malpercio and Annes didnt, and I only brought up the IE6 jokes.

Joe, mertesn, Thrax and other may live up to what you are accusing, but a lot of Tim "bashing" is brought upon himself via his own comments. /shrug
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I also realize I am PMSing a bit this morning, but I do stand by my outsider comment. Not knowing the community and reading this would reflect bad on the forum.

-Digi
    edited May 2011
    Agreed. Beat PMS with anti PMS foods (thank you google, for telling me about this when I google "anti pms lulz")
    edited May 2011
    _k_ brings up a good question. Why pay for a Blizzcon ticket? Well, I was there last year, I saw how things were handled, and I have figured out a couple ways to get in for free or at least for a lot less than the cost of a ticket, but if I type it here the mods will erase it.

Unless they agree not to.... then I'd be happy to share the plans! :)

I'm thinking of making a Youtube video on an account with a fake name.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    QuakeCon is free for everyone, runs fairly well as long as the electrical grid doesn't start doing rolling blackouts.

My real question, I guess, is why do they HAVE to charge for their con?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    They can and they like money?
    edited May 2011
    2qltwut.png
    edited May 2011
    I got in line for a Blizzcon ticket again on the 25th. I already had mine, but I wanted to see if I could get a good spot in the queue again.

This time I was only using my main PC, and I put my left hand to work operating F5, while my right hand had the mouse pointer in about the right spot to click the CHECKOUT icon when it popped up.

When the time came for the icon to change, I was doing such a good job of pressing F5 that I inadvertently pressed it one extra time. Then I had to move the mouse pointer down about an inch to click the icon.

Still got in the queue at 4500, and that was good enough to reach the front of the line with tickets remaining. I didn't get one, I just left at that point so someone else could have it.