Setting up a domain on a Dynamic DNS

gtghmgtghm New
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Hi guys I have been tyring to set up my server on my machine.
I'm useing XP pro and IIS, for now, I have a domain name and I have a couple of different dynamic updaters.
I am useing a link sys router.

I was following the directions at this site but it only seems to work until the dns expires. I can't seem to get the services to auto update the old dns to the new dns.
Also until yesterday I could use port 80 for both my internet connection and my server connection.
Now I might have gotten too cute because I found another peice of cat5 cable and connected my extra 3com nic to the router and bridged the connection.
I'm not really sure what that did but my inital intensions were to put my server on one of the nics and use a seperate port to handle it. However as I mentioned I bridged them and was thinking that doing that would be simular and the system would ballance things out... So some thoughts and suggestions would be ok on that, :grin

Basically here's what I want to accomplish in the end.
I want to run a server off of my home system through my existing cable connection.

I have the programs Dynamic DNS 5.0.13 and DirectUpdate
I have the following domain names
gtghm.dns2go.com (this one I think is going to expire soon)
gtghm.gotdns.com (this one I got free just incase the other one expires)
I have the standard linksys router.

I have had it configued but as I mentioned once the lease on the IP address expires for the cable modem it dosen't update.

Thanks
"g"

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Go into C:/winnt/system32/drivers/etc and look at the "hosts" file to see if your gtghm.dns2go.com is set in there
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited June 2003
    You might want to try a little proggy called "DeeEnEs" which will go out and update your DNS server with your new IP each time you connect. (I got it to use with dyndns.org)

Anyway.. a snippet from the docs:

Introduction
    This program is for those people who have an account at one of the website that provide dynamically updateable DNS entries for people who don't have a fixed IP address but still would like to have a host name where they can be reached. An example of one of those sites is dyndns.org where you could register myname.dyndns.org if that one was still available and have it point to your current IP address. Of course you want a way to automatically update the IP address when it changes and there are actually a number of programs written for this exact purpose. So why DeeEnEs? Because I just didn't like any of them, that's why.

Anyway.. the proggy can be found here:
    http://www.palacio-cristal.com/default.asp?main=/Products/
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited June 2003
    Ok DNL'ed DeeEnEs progy and got it going.
    It seems to be reporting my IP correctly but now I can't get past my router. When I type in my URL for my site it takes me to the logon for the router.

What am I missing?

I typed command ipconfig /all
    took the info and set my network connection to the IP that the router assigned and then input the DNS info.

Then I went into the router in the advanced settings and put in the port I'm useing and the IP address.
    But it still goes to the logon of the router.
    I unplugged both the router and the cable modem so they would reset but I get the same thing.

Thanks,
    "g"
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I've got the same problem, g. As soon as I enter my domain name, I get my router setup. Funny thing is it used to work for me and then one day it just stopped. I tried asking Linksys, No-IP.com, and anyone else I could annoy. Still no answer. I'd be interested to find out if there's a solution to this problem.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    Would that be because you are coming from an internal LAN port on the router? Perhaps if you came in from a remote location the domain would resolve correctly?

~dodo
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited June 2003
    dodo said
    Would that be because you are coming from an internal LAN port on the router? Perhaps if you came in from a remote location the domain would resolve correctly?

~dodo

No go, it took me to the logon to the router.

"g"
    edited June 2003
    do you have port forwarding enabled on the router to the server pc?

~dodo
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited June 2003
    dodo said
    do you have port forwarding enabled on the router to the server pc?

~dodo

Yep
    edited June 2003
    I believe a friend of mine is using the linksys in a similar matter, and he hasnt had any trouble that i know of. What model is the router exactly? and what firmware version?

If i recall, i think he has disabled the DHCP and assigned permanent IPs.

~dodo
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I've got a BEFSR41, static IPs, port forwarding all set up, v1.45 firmware. I used to be able to type in www.kwitko.net from within the LAN and it worked. Strangely one day it just stopped working. Funny thing is I didn't change any settings. With a BEFXR41, I don't get the logon screen, it just times out and the site is unreachable. It works for everyone but me now.

One of those things that I'll have to deal with, but it pisses me off since it used to work and then one day *POOF*.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited June 2003
    Well I guess I got tought a lesson about firewalls and tring to run a server.
    Luckly my first link in my crappy defence was a linksys router so it appears, on the surface anyhow..., that no damage was done to my system but I suppose that there could be some inpending doom that awaits me. So far I've fonud nothing in the system except for 2 files
    one was ".plugin140.trace" and the other was named simply "~"
    I have deleted them but who knows, being the amature that I am there could be something lieing in wait.
    Adware pro hasn't found anything nor has McAfee but we all know that thoes things are unreliable. :(

At this point it seems that the major damage is the router itself.
    Not sure if I can recover it.
    It seems to have a new IP address that is someing like 169.255.(can't remember).60
    All I know is that I have tried several times to do a manual reset and nothing happends. It will not go back to factory defaults.
    I've set it aside for now and I will try it again later but my bet is that the clever little devil has runined it for me.

What is troublesome somewhat, is that I have only posted on this site here, lately, about trying to set up my network.

I dunno, don't mean to imply that its a member I know that there are many ways to fine me other than this site and that even if it was it could have been someone unknown so please don't miss judge my coment here. I have no idea who or what did it, I'll leave it at that.

If any one has an idea of how I can recover the router I would appreacieate it as I was only borrowing the router, it belonged to my mom.

Thanks,
    "g"
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited June 2003
    Well I was able to get the router restored. I think that I am going to leave the server serving thing to the pro's, I just don't want to deal with the hacking thing.
    I'll stick to just doing the normal things. I might try again later but not until I know more on not only how to properly set up the connection but how to make it somewhat more secure.
    I know that if they want in they'll get in but I also know that I can make it harder than it was too... :grin
    Oh well lesson learned and seems to be no harm done except for some minor frustrations and time lost messing with it.

Thanks guys,
    "g"
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2003
    One thing you may want to check (if you haven't already) is whether you have Remote Management enabled on your router, and if so, what port it is on. This would be under Tools or Advanced in your router setup. If the Remote Management is set for port 80, then any port 80 web requests are going to get directed to the router, even if you have set the port forwarding to go somewhere else.

If you do find that Remote Management is set for 80, either disable it (unless you really, really need to tweak your router from somewhere else, which for most home users is not likely), or change the management port to 8080 if you do want to keep it active.

Dexter...