This thread made my Friday.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    GHoosdum wrote:
    This thread made my Friday.
    I think you might be talking about this thread
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Actually I found this one to be significantly more entertaining.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Before it's closed, Grav... source me that crazy bad ass looking nyan cat please.

Edit: Found it.

-Digi
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    It....It's brilliant!

nyan_cat_timelapse_by_kingaby-d3dygfa.jpg
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    That reminds me...

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vahx4rAd0N0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited May 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    I think you might be talking about this thread
    I agree, just thought it was relevant :crazy:
  • edited June 2011
    Tim wrote:
    I own no SSDs. I am not yet convinced of their reliability. They are also too expensive. The speed is nice, but really, how much speed do we need? There comes a point where more technology is only there to boost sales, like white iPhones and dual core CPUs in smart phones. All it is really good for is making a bigger price tag. I do not care much about the manufacturers claiming X million hours MTBF, all I know is I see people ranting about SSDs failing early.

So I'll stick with old fashioned hard drives for a few more years yet.

Ditto here.

I have been running dozens of IDE/SATA/SCSI drives for about 20 years now and in all that time I have only had two drives completely fail on me. The rest got too small and are now paper weights or were moved out due to upgrades.

I can't justify the cost difference versus performance when you can buy 2 identical SATA drives, run Raid 0 and be just fine.
    edited June 2011
    areamike wrote:
    Ditto here.

I have been running dozens of IDE/SATA/SCSI drives for about 20 years now and in all that time I have only had two drives completely fail on me. The rest got too small and are now paper weights or were moved out due to upgrades.

I can't justify the cost difference versus performance when you can buy 2 identical SATA drives, run Raid 0 and be just fine.
    Except that the likelihood of failure increases exponentially with increasing size of a RAID 0 array and a single SSD is faster than RAID 0 array with 7200 drives (especially SSDs with newer controllers, such as OCZ Vertex 3)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248560
    Keep in mind that the Vertex 3 (and other more recent controllers) are boasting speeds almost double of the stuff quoted in that thread. Here is a more recent review from Anandtech