Upgrading CPU, worth it?

edited June 2011 in Hardware
I was thinking of upgrading my CPU until I can afford a complete upgrade.

Currently I run this:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor AD775ZWCGHBOX

The processor I am looking at is this:
AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Processor HD9850XAJ4BGH - 2.50GHz, 4MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket AM2+, Processor

The quad core is on sale right now for 59.99. Is it worth upgrading or should I just wait until I can do a complete upgrade, i.e. mobo, ram, processor, video?

If it matters, my motherboard is:
MSI K9A2 Neo-F AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    While it is a good upgrade, buying into socket AM2+ right now is a bad move, just because AM3+ is just around the corner, and with it a slew of crazy performance upgrades.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    What Brian said
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys.

In lieu of the AM3+ coming out soon and since my board supports AM3. I went ahead and did as you suggested and skipped the AM2+.

I did however, go ahead and upgraded to this processor:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Prior to the upgrade I had read many reviews about the processor and the biggest complaint was the OEM fan noise. Since putting it in, I can't notice a difference from my Dual core's OEM fan noise. Although I do have a case that has very good air flow so that may be a contributing factor.

The upgraded CPU is running idle at 31C which seems good to me and is actually cooler than my Dual core I just pulled out.

It appears that the upgrade has also increased my overall PC performance quite a bit. Even though I am still running a board with DDR2, my future plan is to upgrade the board ram and video card later and use the "old" parts for another modest gaming rig for my kids.

Thanks!