Expo 2011 Beer Tasting

RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Community
5129221125_22ce6b0400.jpg

Awwww yussss!

It's that time again folks. Let's try some beers, shall we?

Here are the options for this tasting:

Old Ales - Horizontal
American Barleywines - Horizontal
Imperial IPAs - Horizontal
Belgian Witbier - Horizontal
Saison/Farmhouse Ale - Horizontal
"Big Beers" - Assorted styles

I'm going to try to seat at least 14 people if I can. I may order additional glassware to seat more if there's the demand for it and if Ghoosdum can hit me with a primo timeslot that doesn't gank any tourney time.

I want to get the beer menus figured out within the next week, so I'm giving ya'll just 2 or 3 days to get your responses posted. Please, only respond if you've got your ticket. I'm allocating seating based on two factors; those who voted for the winning tasting get seats first, based on what preference they ranked it in, and who voted first. So vote ASAP!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6L87BZL

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    So In

-Digi
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    did done
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Im in ftw
  • CantiCanti
    will drink anything you give him. In
    =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    will drink anything you give him. In
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In!
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    BELGIAN WITBIER.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    :(
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In and Done.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    BELGIAN WITBIER.

This
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Saison/Farmhouse Ale
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    And Ryan was all "where's RootWyrm with his cry of Belgian Witbier?"

And I was all like "so in if I can make the hotel thing work. Also Belgian Witbier!"
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In!

Just remember, you're not 'in' until you complete the survey!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Where's the "vote 1 for everything but Witbier" option?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In and surveyed.
    edited June 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Where's the "vote 1 for everything but Witbier" option?

I would recommend your #2 option be Saisons.

Besides, after that care package of brews we got you in the fall, the only thing a wit tasting would offer is the chance to drink them side by side. You've had more witbiers than I've had at this point!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In.

Saisons/Farmouse first, old ales 2nd.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I would like to join, but not quite sure what the deal is. We pick one beer each, taste and then tell what we think? Does one have to know a lot about tasting stuff? I do drink a good deal of beer, but I'm not varied in types at all...
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Ryan, have you heard about Brewery Vivant's Farmhouse ale? It's really good, and it's right down the street from us. :) Even if that isn't picked for the tasting, I can get Andrew to bring some to Epic.
    edited June 2011
    Jokke wrote:
    I would like to join, but not quite sure what the deal is. We pick one beer each, taste and then tell what we think? Does one have to know a lot about tasting stuff? I do drink a good deal of beer, but I'm not varied in types at all...

What's gonna happen is a certain theme will be picked. That's what's being voted on. Whatever theme is picked, I'll be selecting some very fine specimens of beer to fit that theme. All but one of the themes on the voting roster is a 'horizontal' tasting, meaning all the beers chosen would be similar in style, allowing for comparing and contrasting. The "big beers" theme would allow for a variety of styles and the common thread between the beers would be their above 12% alcohol level.

The beers are poured at the same time, and we'll walk through the beers together, but blindly - not knowing which glass holds what beer. Once we've all had a chance to try the various beers, I'll reveal what beers we're tasting, but not yet which beer is which. You'll have a chance to rank the beers by preference if you want, and take notes on beers if you're trying to develop your palate, but finally, towards the end of the tasting, you'll find out which beers are which.

By trying them blind, and by trying beers in a similar style or theme, it gives you an opportunity to figure out which beers you like the most without any bias or preconceived notions.

Does that explain it OK?
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Sounds great! I'm in if there's still room.
    edited June 2011
    That'll be determined once I have the style selected and the votes tabulated, but since you're voter #10 and I plan on seating at least 14 people, it's about 99% certain you'll have a seat. :)
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Mmmmmm. Beer.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'm up for a beer snob moment. Gotta take a break from buying wine anyways.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In!

Side note: Do we have room for this? I was under the understanding that "no outside food/beer" was allowed until after 10?
    edited June 2011
    Awesome. I'm going to close the voting at 11:59pm EST on June 7th. The style will be chosen, I'll do the math on how many I can seat and get the cost hammered out, and hopefully by then I'll have a timeslot and whatnot hammered out as well.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Interested in doing this, but holding off on the survey until I can figure out just how much we're talking about. Do you have even a rough estimate on cost? Ballpark?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Interested in doing this, but holding off on the survey until I can figure out just how much we're talking about. Do you have even a rough estimate on cost? Ballpark?
    From the survey
    The cost for the tasting will be between $14 to $20 depending on which choice is picked. I can't be more specific because I don't have the specific beers picked out until after the tasting style is chosen.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In. I'm a sucker for ales.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Can I be in, but only if it's Belgian Witbiers?
    edited June 2011
    You're not obligated to join if you don't like the outcome, if Belgian witbiers are chosen and you voted for them it just means you have first shots at sitting at the tasting. If you voted it first and it loses, but your second choice wins, you'd get a spot at the tasting on a second tier basis but you could say no.