EPIC 2011 Magic: The Gathering (Non-League) Draft

ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Community
EPIC 2011 Magic: The Gathering (Non-League) Draft(s) - This is not the league draft, please see Spencer's thread in the Events forum for info regarding that event!

Note: Info below subject to change as needed. :D

Date(s): Sat. June 25th, from 3:30pm-8pm

Format: Draft

Cost: $10 per draft

Set: Scars of Mirrodin Block (Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia)

I (Colgere) will be the judge for this event. If you have any questions during the event, raise your hand, call out "Judge", and leave your hand up until I acknowledge you (cause I could be dealing with multiple questions at a given time). For the sake of keeping the tournament running smoothly and in a timely manner (as well as my sanity), all rulings made by me are final. (grin)

Players are responsible for bringing any sleeves, tokens, dice, counters, etc. they wish to use during this event. I will provide paper and pens for keeping track of life totals and notes.

Draft Structure:
I will be only running an 8 person draft. This is to speed up the tournament(s) so we don't run into other events going on during EPIC. This is subject to change depending on demand and available space.

Decks are required to be a minimum of 40 cards, with no maximum. Whatever is not used in your main deck becomes your sideboard. As this is a casual tournament, you may change the cards in your deck between games, meaning you don't have to restore your deck to its initial build at the beginning of each match. You are of course, limited to the cards you draft plus any basic lands. After the draft is completed, players will be given approximately 20 minutes to construct their decks. I anticipate beginning play approximately one hour after the start of the draft.

The draft will be composed of 1 pack of New Phyrexia, 1 pack of Mirrodin Besieged, and 1 pack of Scars of Mirrodin (This is a different order than in the past, as WoTC has changed how draft sets are designed; they are now intended to be drafted starting with the newest set within a block).

The packs will be drafted in that order, and packs will be passed in a left-right-left manner. This means when drafting pack 1 (New Phyrexia), you will pick a card and then pass the pack to the left, for pack 2 (Mirrodin Besieged), you will pass to the right, and then for pack 3 (Scars of Mirrodin), you will pass to the left again.

Tournament Structure:
Each round lasts 50 minutes and there will be 3 rounds total. This will be a round-robin tournament, meaning even if you lose, you get to continue playing. Each match during each round will be played on a best 2 out of 3 basis. If a given match goes to time, the active player will finish his/her turn, and then the match will continue for 5 additional turns total (not for each player.) If the current game is not finished at the end of the 5 turns, that game will be declared a draw. The point value for each match (not game) result possible is given below:

Match Win = 3 points
Match Draw = 1 point
Match Loss = 0 points

At the end of three rounds, the person with the highest point total for a given draft will be the winner. In the case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be the head to head result (if applicable). The second tiebreaker will be their respective opponents win/loss records. If still tied, there will be a one game (not a whole match, just one game!) playoff.

Prizes:
Ok, the part everyone really cares about! (grin)

First, tickets (if any) awarded for this event will be distributed as per standard EPIC rules, with any additional tickets to be awarded according to event results.

Additional prizes listed below:

1st: The entire set of the new Commander deck series (Here's the WoTC Commander website for more info). That's right, all five decks!

2nd: 6 packs (2 packs each of Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, & New Phyrexia).

3rd & 4th: 1 pack of each.

I will close signup for this on Wednesday, June 15th at 5pm. This will give me time to get the product. I'm also going to answer a couple questions ahead of time, and will update this as needed.

Q. Do I get to keep the cards I draft?
A. Yes, regardless of how you do, the cards you draft are yours.

Q. Do I need to bring lands, or will they be provided?
A. They will be provided. I have plenty. (grin)

Please post in this thread if you wish to sign up for the draft. Also, post in this thread with any other questions you may have, and I will arrange to update this post with the answer. Remember, this is a casual event, so have fun! (grin)

Participants:

1. mertesn
2. Zanthian
3. Lincoln
4. CB
5. BobbyDigi
6. SpencerForHire
7. Winfrey
8. QCH

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I would like to participate :)
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'm going to go ahead and post "in" on behalf of Lincoln, since I know from personal conversations he wants in (and he'd probably kill me if he somehow didn't get in.) :D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Yus!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In, pending finalization of schedule.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Ahhhhhhhhhh Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah

[in]

-Digi
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited June 2011
    In.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Very in, good sir.
    edited June 2011
    QCH is in (from the League thread). Again, don't want to be injured :)
    edited June 2011
    And according to my math, that makes 8. I will reveal the first place prize when I get home from work tonight. :)
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    ...what about changing up the typical to accommodate additional people? ...just wondering here.
    edited June 2011
    Second table? Magic & ZenMode may be interested; I bet you could fill it up by then.
    edited June 2011
    *Original post was a confusing cluster, see post below for more relevant discussion.* :)
    edited June 2011
    What kind of space do we have available Lincoln? I unfortunately have not seen the place, so I don't know if 16 people could fit in the room. I could run 2 simultaneous drafts (and have the winners of each draft meet for the ultimate prize, so to speak) if there was room, I was working under the assumption that that was not the case, however.
    edited June 2011
    For the time being, if people are interested, continue to sign up, so I know what level of interest there is. If there happens to be sufficient interest to justify a 2nd table, and there is room at the place for it, I am willing to run a second table. Also, someone already in may change their mind, in which case, the slot will be offered to the next person signed up.

Sharkydart is considered next in line, due to his post above.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    i should've posted when i first thought about it. i'm going to end up 9th person again this year, for the same reason.
    edited June 2011
    So does this mean you will be at EPIC?
    sharkydart wrote:
    i should've posted when i first thought about it. i'm going to end up 9th person again this year, for the same reason.
    edited June 2011
    Well, it is time to reveal the 1st place prize for this event. As I said, I think most of you will approve of this as it's a prize that I'm pretty sure no one has.... because it isn't even out yet.

Set to be released on June 17th, the 1st place prize for this event is the entire set of the new Commander deck series (Here's the WoTC Commander website for more info). That's right, all five decks! The nice part about this is even for those who don't play often, it makes for a good pickup Commander\EDH game, since the decks are ready for use out of the box. Of course, you can always customize them as you see fit. Even better, each deck contains new cards never before released in Magic, as well as some useful cards for other formats. (Commander cards will be considered legal for use in Legacy & Vintage formats, for those who partake in those).

Hopefully this passes muster as a prize for first place. If you have any questions, let me know. :)
    edited June 2011
    :Floored:

I wish I had a chance at winning :-P

That is so awesome Colgere.

-Digi
    edited June 2011
    Wow, awesome Colgere!

And yes, I'm quite sure you could run 2 draft tables with ease. At worst, we could move it upstairs into the cafe (we have clearance to use a significant portion of the upstairs as needed).
    edited June 2011
    Ok, the event is now on the calendar, set for Sat. June 25th, from 4pm-8pm. Lincoln, could you update the opening post with this info, I can no longer edit the opening post myself.
    edited June 2011
    done!
    edited June 2011
    Sorry Lincoln, start time has changed, moved up to 3:30. End time is still 8. No rush on editing the post, just when you can. Thanks!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    This event will begin immediately after the group photo, right now that is estimated at 3:30 PM on Saturday.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    That's a seriously awesome prize.
    edited June 2011
    Just to be clear, signup is still open until June 15th at 5pm. With Lincoln's indication that there is available space, I am expanding the available slots to 16 (9 of which are currently filled). Post here if you have interest.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I am interested in playing, but as always since I have nobody else in Florida to play Magic with and sold all my cards to Ben years ago, if you need a final player and someone wanted to pay my entrance fee I'll give them my cards at the end (and whatever prize if I happened to win.) If there are enough others that want to play that's fine too...
    edited June 2011
    I'll buy Joe in for the Lulz... er for the cards!

-Digi
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Awesome!! Do I get a sweet "Sponsored by BobbyDigi" shirt to wear?
    edited June 2011
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    Awesome!! Do I get a sweet "Sponsored by BobbyDigi" shirt to wear?

This is an excellent idea. I'll see what I can do.

-Digi