EpIc 2011 Boardgaming

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Community
As in past years, I will be running the official Boardgaming events at this year's Expo.

This year the boardgaming gets its own room, rather than just a table, but there aren't many other changes.

General Boardgaming

I will be bringing a selection of boardgames from my collection, and I will be running boardgames basically all day each day with the exception of a few overidding events like the food tour and the DTEC, which I expect everyoine else will likely be at anyway, and the Magic tourneys, which may use our space.

I'll be playing in many of the games, but my official job will be to teach and referee the sessions. Keep in mind that, due to the nature of EpIc, nearly every game we play will be a 'teaching game', since there is almost always at least one person who has never played that game at the table. This is welcome, and it's part of the point of the boardgaming event. This means that those who are regular to the game will have to be a bit patient sometimes. Also: as some rules can be interpreted different ways, all rules conflicts are up to my immediate and final ruling, no matter what experience or errata you might have. This will keep everything running smoothly.

All the games will be from my extensive collection. I'd kindly request that others not bring their own games to the event. The reasons are many, but the primary one is that I want to make sure that every board game that is played is one that I can quickly teach and easily referee.

Here is the list of games which are currently on the list to be brought:
  • CB's gamebox (a toolbox with a bunch of supplies and smaller games)
  • Setters of Catan
  • Carcassonne
  • Pandemic
  • Puerto Rico
  • Power Grid
  • Vegas Showdown

More games will be added to the list before the event. If you would like to see my list of games, and make a request Look here. Not every game in my collection will work for this event (Sid Meier's Civilization, for example, is right out), but if it's a game of sutable complexity, style, and length for EpIc, I'll add it to the list.

Participating in these official boardgames will earn the players tickets for prize jars, as in past years.

Players for each game will be decided by a sign-up list which will be put up in, or just outside of the boardgame room, so that people don't have to sit and wait for one game to be over in order to get in on the next one.

Catan Tourney

On Friday afternoon at 4:15 (or immediately after the Magic tourney, if it runs over) We'll play the first round of the Catan Tournament. The structure of the tournament will be determined by the number of people who sign up, but in general it will be in the form of a bracket.

We'll likely only fit the first round of the tourney in that evening, depending on participation, but luckily, there is enough room for two game tables in the boargame room, so I'll be able to run a Catan table simultaneously with other table. This way the Catan tourney will not dominate the remainder of the boardgaming for the weekend, as it has done in the past.

--

If you would like to request a game from my collection, join the Catan tourney, or if you have any questions, post here.

I hope everyone is looking forward to a weekend of boardgaming as much as I am.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In Catan Tourney. I promise not to win this year.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In for Catan Tourney.
    Requesting Dominion to be brought.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In for Catan
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I respectfully request Small World be on premises.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I would say bring Ticket to Ride because it's easy to learn and quick to play but then I remember that ridiculously long game you guys played. That game should not take 2 or more hours to play :crazy:
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In for Catan tourney. Also suggest Nexus Ops & Ticket to Ride. (And in my fantasy world, I dream of having exactly 7 players and sufficient time for History of the World, but not like to happen. :) )
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In for Catan.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In for Catan, Ticket to Ride, Power Grid, Carcassonne and Pandemic!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In for Catan tourney... Can we make the first round a normal round, not that silly advanced start (or play to 7 silliness that we did last year?)
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In for Catan!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    In for Catan tourney... Can we make the first round a normal round, not that silly advanced start (or play to 7 silliness that we did last year?)

You mean tournament rules?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In for all... whatever it there I'm in.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Does CB's Gamebox include a travel Chess Set? If not I request a chess set and present open challenge to anyone who would like to help me get my yearly Chess fix.

-Digi
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In:

* CB's gamebox (a toolbox with a bunch of supplies and smaller games)
    * Setters of Catan
    * Carcassonne
    * Puerto Rico
    * Power Grid
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Digi, I accept your challenge, as well as anyone who wishes to attempt to beat me in a game of strategery!
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'm up for a game of chess whenever... I'm just using the Expo to go game-crazy for 5 days! I'm even in for Twister if it's there.
    edited June 2011
    You don't have to 'in' for anything other than the Catan Tourney. Everyhting else you can sign up for as we go.

We wont be playing Chess in the boardgameroom. :/ (too few players per board for this kind of event). If you bring a set, I'm sure someone will play with you up in the cafe. :)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    CB wrote:
    We wont be playing Chess in the boardgameroom. :/ (too few players per board for this kind of event). If you bring a set, I'm sure someone will play with you up in the cafe. :)

Yeah... space at the cafe I'm not worried about. Space on my flight I am. Can anyone bring a set to use?

-Digi
    edited June 2011
    If that's all you're worried about, I can bring a set. :) I can't promise more than cardboard and cheap plastic.
    edited June 2011
    Added to the games list:
    • Dominion
    • Small World
    • Ticket to Ride: Marklin
    • Nexus Ops
    edited June 2011
    Catan tourney list so far:
    • CB
    • GHoosdum
    • Zanthian
    • Mertsen
    • Colgere
    • Canti
    • LazarusXeno
    • Crazy Joe
    • RyanMM
    • QCH
    • Sharkydart

Already an impressive list.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'll sign up for Catan, but I'ma have to learn how to play.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Dominion! F to the motherfreaking yeah.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    At Octoberfest, we played Dominion for about 12 hours straight. Its such a good game!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    ICHQ has multiple chess sets. One is Transformers. Aw yeah.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Lincoln wrote:
    ICHQ has multiple chess sets. One is Transformers. Aw yeah.

I want to be Starfire :D. You should totally bring Axis and Allies so we can play that for a week straight again.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Although I won't be attending, I suggest the Battlestar Galactica board game, its a very social game revolving more around the suspicions that everyone has of everyone else being a Cylon than die rolls or cards.
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited June 2011
    Gate28 wrote:
    Although I won't be attending, I suggest the Battlestar Galactica board game, its a very social game revolving more around the suspicions that everyone has of everyone else being a Cylon than die rolls or cards.

I am sure there will already be plenty of Werewolf.
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    In for Catan most definitely! :D
    edited June 2011
    Final Boardgames Bin:
    • Setters of Catan
    • Carcassonne
    • Pandemic
    • Puerto Rico
    • Power Grid
    • Vegas Showdown
    • Dominion
    • Small World
    • Ticket to Ride: Marklin
    • Nexus Ops
    • Great Wall

Current Catan Tourney roster:
    • CB
    • GHoosdum
    • Zanthian
    • Mertsen
    • Colgere
    • Canti
    • LazarusXeno
    • Crazy Joe
    • RyanMM
    • QCH
    • Sharkydart
    • Cola
    • HumerousMeg

Any other entries for Catan before I finalize the bracket? There are a few known Catan lovers not on this list yet. ;)