Video card OEM that allows modding

RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Hardware
I was about to slap an aftermarket heatsink on an XFX 6870 when I noticed the tamper stickers on the heatsink screws. It's the first time I've run into those on a GPU in a while, but I've mostly been modding more downmarket stuff that isn't worth putting stickers on.

Anyways, are there any GPU vendors that explicitly allow aftermarketing heatsinks to be installed without voiding the warranty? Or at the very least, are there any ones that don't put tamper stickers on the things?

If anyone has a 6870 and can take a look at it to see if there's any visual tamper indicators, I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Per XFX Warranty as of 2011, aftermarket heatsinks are still authorized and cards with them are under warranty. However, you must register warranty first, then open a ticket to associate aftermarket heatsink with the card and verify compatibility with the aftermarket heatsink.

So, you don't void the warranty by doing so. But you need to talk to XFX before you do it. And that's as good as you're going to get.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    That's a decent enough solution. I don't like having to register the card, but since XFX allows the warranty to transfer once I know I can at least sell it down the line if needed. Thanks!
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    RyanMM wrote:
    That's a decent enough solution. I don't like having to register the card, but since XFX allows the warranty to transfer once I know I can at least sell it down the line if needed. Thanks!

Registering the card is worth it regardless. Gotta do it within 30. If you do? Double lifetime warranty. (You plus one buyer.) It has saved my butt a LOT of money. Support's knowledgeable too, so they DO catch the heatsink errors with the non-reference designs.