1.7 Discussion

MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
edited July 2011 in Minecraft
Look what Notch posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJr86d2IUo

(I don't know how to embed. Sorry! :( )

Pistons! I'm pretty excited for this, there's a lot of possibilities here. The secret entrance he shows in the video is awesome! Plus, it looks like slime balls are going to maybe be easier to come by...?

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    That looks pretty sweet. I love the hidden staircase/door idea. I might have to incorporate that into my keep. Also, the fact that pistons can work like valves for controlling water flow is definitely something that I will be making use of in my water-harvested grain fields.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'm excited now we can make better crop harvesters and such. I am really looking forward to the secret entrances. This game just keeps getting better!
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'm looking forward to making hallways of death, where a switch moves a piston, then my evil imagination takes over.
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited June 2011
    cola wrote:
    I'm looking forward to making hallways of death, where a switch moves a piston, then my evil imagination takes over.

The first thing that comes to mind is a floor switch that will "seal" the hallway and allow water to fall into the hallway. Drown them out! It'd be especially cool if it was then impossible for them to step off the switch to deactivate the circuit, and instead have a hidden switch elsewhere that would reset it.
    edited June 2011
    or have an entire wall that crushes them like in the movies, or pour lava, or drop sooo much sand on them, the possibilities are endless :D
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited June 2011
    With this, who needs Notch's adventure update, we can make our own hardcore dungeons ahaha.

But really, I'm pretty excited to see what this adventure stuff is all about.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited June 2011
    I'm seeing alot of indiana jones stunts going into minecraft!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    This is starting to look like Dwarf Fortress writ large and in first-person.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Malpercio wrote:

Embed
    Ctrl+C
    icrontic.com/minecraftglory (not a real link)
    Ctrl+P
    edited June 2011
    The question is, can you attach pistons to pistons to make elevators or long distance pushes?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    cola wrote:
    The question is, can you attach pistons to pistons to make elevators or long distance pushes?

Watch the secret entrance he plays around with, I am pretty sure the top 4 blocks are doing just that. There are pistons behind the 4 blocks that pull them back and then pistons to the side that pull them to the side.

Now how many you can stack will be interesting to play around with.

-Digi
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure he is attaching pistons to pistons, it looks to me like you can 'slide off' blocks from sticky blocks, just like he shows in the twirling 2 blocks with 4 pistons. I could be wrong though, and I hope you can piston to piston!
    edited June 2011
    The blocks move back and then to the side (or out then forward on return), I can't picture in my head how he would do that without a piston stuck to another.

-Digi
  • edited June 2011
    Pretty sure this is how it's done

http://i.imgur.com/EzC69.png

Also a recent server list is slated to be included in 1.7, and redstone will now snap to repeaters like it does to torches
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Malpercio wrote:

Click share - embed - copypaste

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uZJr86d2IUo&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited June 2011
    @notch wrote:
    1.7 is still nowhere near done. If people want, we could do a piston-only release and push the adventure stuff up to the next update.
    @notch wrote:
    I see about 90% "yes" replies. No promises, but I'll discuss it with Jens tomorrow!
    edited June 2011
    Pistons on Thursday, apparently.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Malpercio wrote:
    The first thing that comes to mind is a floor switch that will "seal" the hallway and allow water to fall into the hallway. Drown them out! It'd be especially cool if it was then impossible for them to step off the switch to deactivate the circuit, and instead have a hidden switch elsewhere that would reset it.

Use an RS-NOR latch. Step on the plate in the hallway, seal your doom. The other plate/switch is outside the hallway.

Bonus points for adding windows so you can watch the victim suffer and choose whether to release them or not.
    edited June 2011
    Problem being that windows can be broken, allowing the victim to escape. To really seal their doom you'd want to make the chamber out of obsidian.... possibly multiple layers of it.
    edited June 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Problem being that windows can be broken, allowing the victim to escape. To really seal their doom you'd want to make the chamber out of obsidian.... possibly multiple layers of it.

Actually, if you had a layer of obsidian with windows through a layer of lava it would be a true death chamber, problem is hiding the lava...
    edited June 2011
    There's been a ton of trap designs on /r/minecraft. My fave so far is the one that loads you into an elevator shaft and propels you upwards into a vertical tube of obsidian, capped by a lava block. truly inescapable.

my favorite trigger so far is an automatic cobblestone generator that outputs a stream of cobblestone debris onto a wooden plate - if anyone walks near it with an open slot, they pick it up and trigger the trap. This one suuuucks because any 'tard can break a pressure plate or not push / break a button.
    edited June 2011
    1.7 is out, if you hadn't noticed :)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Make sure you get updated to 1.7_01 (might be difficult at the moment due to minecraft.net's penchant for unavailability immediately after updates). There are a couple of crushing bugs (right-clicking on a sheep with an empty hand crashes the game, etc) that got fixed right away.

Also, if you have modded items (blockIDs that don't exist in the stock game, etc), you'll likely have trouble with chests.

Edit: Yeah, I forgot. If you want to play with IC, wait to upgrade.
    edited June 2011
    Actually, DON'T make sure you update to any version of 1.7. The server is still running 1.6 and will be for the immediate future.

A PSA from your grumpy neighborhood sysadmin.
    edited June 2011
    Can someone who is familiar with connecting to previous version servers make a post about how to do this? Every time I start up MC after an update, it just updates. I can make a backup copy and go back and replace it but then it just updates it when I start it up again.

A Detailed tutorial would be an asset to our community and would most likely get stickyed.

-Digi
    edited June 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Actually, DON'T make sure you update to any version of 1.7. The server is still running 1.6 and will be for the immediate future.

A PSA from your grumpy neighborhood sysadmin.

Bukkit for 1.7_01 is out.
    edited June 2011
    It's not a recommended build, I'm not installing it on my server.

@Digi - Install the new version of the Minecraft GUI (http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp). It will prompt you when there's an update and let you choose not to update yet.
  • edited July 2011
    Damn bukkit is getting faster, the recommended build for 1.7.2 is already out
    edited July 2011
    Damn bukkit is getting faster, the recommended build for 1.7.2 is already out

niiiiice