ICMC Community Project 1: Spawn - Idea thread

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Minecraft
Icrontic Minecraft Community Project 1: Spawn

Out of date thread, See planning thread HERE

I am going to start doing Community Projects on the IC Minecraft Server. More details will come later but basically these will be mostly preplanned projects. Materials will be 100% mined by members of the IC-Public Works Administration (President: the_technocrat). & 100% built by hand by community builders. Community Project 1 is Spawn. Right now I would just like to hear some ideas on our future spawn and surrounding area.

Spawn will be moving from its current location, I will select a location on the server for us to build on once we decide on something.

Things you need to keep in mind while throwing out suggestions:
  • There will need to be an open courtyard in the middle for actual spawning and Rules/Help sign posting.
  • This will welcome all visitors to the IC Minecraft server, It needs to be EPIC.
  • Size really isn't too much of a concern, but try to keep the height to something that can be built at sea level.

Castle? Field of Pyramids? Amish town? Gardens of Icrontia?

Please keep this thread to throwing out and building on ideas. Discussion/Decisions will come later.

-Digi

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    A lush flowery meadow!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    A scale model of our lord and master, Brian.... oh wait, I don't think MC can render that much space at once ;D I keed... I keed

Seriously though, I think we should do a gigantic Icrontic logo right next to spawn.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Somebody hack the gibson and just replicate Joe's mountain near spawn.
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited June 2011
    I like the giant Icrontic logo idea.

You know, I wonder if it would be possible to make a sort of welcome "animation" with a large series of pistons. Something like the Icrontic logo, or "Welcome to (Icrontic logo)", rising out of the ground after a switch is stepped on or flipped. And then resetting shortly afterwards.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    We could have them drop in on a giant compass rose within sight of Grand Central, which itself already gives directions to other sights.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    CB wrote:
    We could have them drop in on a giant compass rose within sight of Grand Central, which itself already gives directions to other sights.

I C Wut U did Thar Mr CB. Your thought of keeping spawn where it is has been noted.

Giant IC logo would be cool, animated even better.

Keep the ideas rollin!

-Digi
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    we could make a actual huge castle or hell a water temple. HAHAHAHA
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Actually, speaking of water temples, there does happen to be a huge plot of undeveloped land near IC town, which has had Bandy's name on it for a while. If he's willing to give up those claims in favor of a spawn area, that would be a perfect spot.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I suggest having a generic and pretty garden space, surrounded by other future community projects of tremendous difficulty and scale.

Also, +1 for renaming the 'community projects' to 'Icrontic Public Works Administration' IC-PWA

I've been working on a sustainable factory to mass-produce stone (not cobblestone) for massive projects like this. Admin resources not needed, it's all done with trees, water and lava.

Edit - was looking for a massive canyon to build a replica Hoover Dam, but we don't have those kinds of canyons on our map, that I can find. Was going to start making to-scale replicas of the Wonders of the World.
    edited June 2011
    Location suggestions noted, though Bandrik's land will not work for ideas like T_T's (which happens to be similar to what is floating around in my head) and there are also structures around that area that I do not want to be the first thing our visitors see ;)

Further, I like the idea of an IC-PWA, I would love for all materials to be naturally mined. As you seem to already have some stuff going in that direction T_T, Would you be willing to become President of the IC-PWA? You can work with other builders to create factories of all sorts and mass produce materials for ICMC:CPs?

-Digi
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    To enhance the sheer awe of people joining our server for the first time, I would suggest a spawn location on a floating island in the middle of an area extending to render distance mined completely to the bedrock, where the bedrock is covered with light blue wool as to mimic emptyness. Also, there would be nethergate transit off of said locale, and perhaps a giant floating Icrontic sign in the distance. XD

The gathered materials could be set aside for future projects.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited June 2011
    How about making a large icrontic head (with the hat and all), with the spawn located inside of the sphere? There would be multiple rail outlets to all the corners of IC, and a map of each.
    I've also been thinking about how hard it would be to have maps of each cardinal direction in chests, so if you are trying to sight see IC, you dont get quite so lost.
    edited June 2011
    I've also been thinking about how hard it would be to have maps of each cardinal direction in chests, so if you are trying to sight see IC, you dont get quite so lost.

I really like this idea. Being able to provide maps from spawn would be excellent. We'll have to look into what it would take to make this happen.

-Digi
  • KemicaKemica B.C Canada
    edited June 2011
    I hope this isn't too off-topic.

Can non-whitelist visitors help gather materials of any sort?
    Like, if I go sheep punching, and there is a chest I can put things in for people to use?
    If so, I'd be happy to help out. I've been pretty bored in Minecraft lately but still wanting to play, a purpose, especially if it involves punching sheep, sounds fun.

Edit: I went on an epic sheep punching quest. I can indeed collect wool. However I need to log out at night to avoid getting pwned and losing it all. I put the few bits of wool into the chests in front of "Snarky's abode" that said free for public use.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Or... make the Coliseum "underground" at ground level, then build the arena floor on top if it. :)
    edited June 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Or... make the Coliseum "underground" at ground level, then build the arena floor on top if it. :)

Spawn looks for the highest available block to spawn on. No matter what level it is at.
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Not creepers, we wouldn't want to lose the nice design of the building to 'splosions.

All Community Project builds will be protected so that nothing can damage them

I like the way this thread is going. I feel the Coliseum build might be better as a project after we get spawn squared away but I don't want to squash the excitement, If you guys want to build a Coliseum, then we will make that happen.

Keep the ideas coming!

-Digi
  • edited June 2011
    I like the idea of the Greco-Roman building to spawn in, just off the top of my head I can imagine spawning in a big open air building with columns (and a roof....pesky rain) leading you to a rather modest but large staircase showing you the way to go to get to rail lines. The inside could be built high enough to have statues or creations lining the halls.

Imagine spawning inside this

4rcSh.jpg

we could even tie in the rail system to the back. I would be willing to build a sub station that could direct to grand central or possibly everywhere, we could just call it Penn Station at Spawn
    edited June 2011
    If we need another idea for a community project, I'd suggest having us build a city in the nether, I have some coords that look like they'd make a good site to build at.
    edited June 2011
    I like the idea of the Greco-Roman building to spawn in, just off the top of my head I can imagine spawning in a big open air building with columns (and a roof....pesky rain) leading you to a rather modest but large staircase showing you the way to go to get to rail lines. The inside could be built high enough to have statues or creations lining the halls.

The big problem with this being, as has been mentioned, the fact that you always spawn on the highest available block. It is not possible at this time to spawn inside anything that is covered. You will always spawn on top of it instead. The Colosseum could work because it's open-air thus we could simply have people spawn on the killing floor. If something like the Pantheon was built, people would end up spawning on the roof.
  • ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    edited June 2011
    I'm drafting up a large open air piazza with a double row of columns really quick in cadd, I'll screen shot it, and yall can let me know what you think.

Edit: like this minecraftspawn.png
    edited June 2011
    After having constructed 1 of the columns of that monstrosity, I think I may need to scale it back 2 or 3 column sizes, 48 blocks is so tall.
    edited June 2011
    Go big or go home.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    The real fishhead would never back down, -_-
    edited June 2011
    I'm game to do the big one, it's gonna be 288 blocks per column, what do you guys want to make them out of? White is a nice imposing color, but it would take a damn large amount of wool/string or snow just for the columns, then like a cobble stone base and a brick/something else reddish roof?
  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    i like this also, i agree and will help with what i can.
    edited June 2011
    Just got done crunching the numbers on the basic plan I made:

Floor: 25668 cobblestone
    Half steps:2016 cobble steps
    Whole steps:1348 cobblestone
    Colonnade: 25344 wool/snow
    Roof:19320 brick?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    lulz I love this. Using CAD to spec out minecraft buildings ... that is some win!
    edited June 2011
    Ok, well if you guys want to do what I drafted up, we are going to need a relatively flat area with a size of 148 x 196, I'd recommend starting by laying out the half step perimeter. Then after the basic structure is put up, we could build a big fountain/statue in the middle. And if we have enough gold, replacing the top 3 rows of each column would give it a nice appearance.
    edited June 2011
    In true Greek style... I'd suggest we build this on a plateau.

It will also help keep the creepers out.
    edited June 2011
    Good ideas flowing here, Feel free to throw out other ideas guys. I don't want to commit to this (as awesome as it is) just yet. I won't be able to get into the setup of this until after Epic (in a week), so hold off on the planning for now :-P

-Digi
This discussion has been closed.