1.8 Future Update

AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut?Meechigan Icrontian
edited September 2011 in Minecraft
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/7009276212/trickling-information-about-the-adventure-update

1.8 is going to be huge, and will probably include some stuff that will utterly break our current world.

With all of the updates coming, I'm wondering if we might want to consider another reset with 1.8, depending on how far out it is.

The final release date got pushed back a week, so that looks like it will be more around the 11/17/11 timeframe. At that point, like we did with the Halloween update, I think we DEFINITELY would want to reset.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    1.8 is going to be huge, and will probably include some stuff that will utterly break our current world.
    At that point, like we did with the Halloween update, I think we DEFINITELY would want to reset.

Captain, I'm prepping the rage buckets but I don't think we will be able to contain them
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi
    casts LavaWall to intercept rage buckets. It is super effective.

....And that is enough talk about nuking the server. The server will only be reset as a final option.

-Digi
    ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    casts LavaWall to intercept rage buckets. It is super effective.

....And that is enough talk about nuking the server. The server will only be reset as a final option.

-Digi
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Not trying to cause drama. I know how people are about their stuff, and I really dislike llamas. I've just been noticing a lot of chatter on other (some very large) server communities who are contemplating a reset either after 1.8 (npc villages and new geological formations, etc) or the gold release in November.
    edited June 2011
    I completely agree, and am way less time-invested than others. Just saying, based on the past reset votes/experiences, that it is better to have the rage buckets prepped now.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    As new (official) information comes along, decisions will be made. Rage based on speculation is not needed. Don't base anything off the past, I was not CM in the past. To be frank, I don't care what other communities do. This thread is an example of what I do not want on the ICMC forum. The title indicates we will be discussing a future update and the content has turned into a Nuke discussion. If it doesn't turn, I might Nuke this thread instead.

Whatever we do I can guarantee our server will continue to be Freaking Rad.

So, NPC Villages, New colors, Awesome MIRight?

-Digi
    edited June 2011
    NPC villages will definitely be a boon to SP and will add some interesting continuity to MP. I wonder if I could become a feudal lord. NPCs from the 4 lakes region would come to my castle to cast their first borns into a fiery pit, only to have my phoenix save them.
    edited June 2011
    I'm really looking forward to the new lighting engine and the new geological features. Apparently there are going to be underground chasms (I'm assuming narrow valleys running from somewhere around y=60 to y<10, which would be awesome).

With the chasms, I'd love to see that above-ground, too, but increasing the heightmap so we can get 300-block high mountains.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Haven't played lately (work gets in the way) but this new update sounds cool!
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Instead of a whole map nuke, we could just take out a few uninhabited chunks and let the server re-generate a closer area. Just sayin'
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Back to 1.8 topic

uOdFM.jpg
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I lol'd
    edited June 2011
    Those modders should have job offers ...
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I would love every single last one of those mods to actually be in the game.

I mean.. seriously. Weed. Then we could finally SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY. Hitman would shit bricks.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    If Notch doesn't do it, we need a weed mod just so Hitman and Kingpin and I can roll around smoking bluts and going nuts.
    edited July 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    If Notch doesn't do it, we need a weed mod just so Hitman, Kingpin, Bandrik, and I can roll around smoking blunts and going nuts.

FTFY

Also:

sqEPC.jpg
    edited September 2011
    1.8 update leaked early for people to play with over the weekend. Still super-buggy, but some of the new stuff is really awesome.

The new terrain generation code is fantastic. Huge valleys and cave systems, abandoned mines, NPC (not populated yet) villages, strongholds (one per world) and lots of new NPCs.

I'm particularly interested in the new NPCs like the Endermen.

Anyone been brave enough to grab the .jar yet and play with it?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Download link for the 1.8 leak if anyone is interested.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre/minecraft.jar
    Link for non-server version. Good find UPSLynx!
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    edited September 2011
    Sweet trailer. Looks pretty nifty. I like the rivers and canyons. Pretty neat. Too bad it's after IC server was created, but ah well.

One thing though.

FUUUUUUUUU....

That... that thing that attacks the camera at the end of the trailer...

Creepy. As. All. Fuck.

NOT looking forward to them. They are known as "Endermen", and are generally docile until you look directly at them. At that point, they run OR TELEPORT straight to you and END you.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited September 2011
    I'm playing 1.8 and I have like a magic bar or something. its crazy in here.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I refuse to play the leaked version I want to be surprised when the official release comes out.... tho its very tempting...
  • edited September 2011
    I've set up a server to mess around on while we wait.

captainmoustache.homeserver.com

no whitelist or anything just a place to explore and let me know if you want to be op'd
  • edited September 2011
    Now there seems to be some sort of mojang failure or DDOS that is keeping people from connecting to any and all servers, even local ones. :(
  • edited September 2011
    I've updated it to the "pre-release 2" so no more furnaces crashing the server
  • edited September 2011
    This is what we managed to explore so far before I reset the map today since spawn rates of mine shafts and strongholds changed.

DZUUJl.jpg

Notice the hole in the mountain, we have found TNT is a lot less laggy in large quantities
    edited September 2011
    Update looks amazing. I'm debating setting up a server with the following, so the 1.7.3 IC server can live on forever as-is.

- LWC(Chest protection)
    - WorldGuard(Block protection)
    - GriefAlert
    edited September 2011
    UPS Hitman wrote:
    I refuse to play the leaked version I want to be surprised when the official release comes out.... tho its very tempting...

official is out
    edited September 2011
    Update looks amazing. I'm debating setting up a server with the following, so the 1.7.3 IC server can live on forever as-is.

- LWC(Chest protection)
    - WorldGuard(Block protection)
    - GriefAlert

This sounds like a great idea. I also thought setting a server up so players can play in creative mode to set their homes up/build things (traps, etc) for a while (say 30-60 days), then have a date where survival mode kicks in.

It also appears that you can set creative/survival on a player by player basis on the server, which could have some interesting ramifications.
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, I'm kinda torn. I'd like to do 2 servers, actually:

1 server that resets regularly, getting a fresh map no less frequently than monthly, with downloadable map/screenshots/file for the memories / nostalgia

1 server that starts with 1.8 and goes to next major release (gold?)