Computer maintenance, cleaning etc.

helicon1984helicon1984 Sovici, Bosna i Hercegovina
edited June 2011 in Hardware
Hi everyone,

I've got a couple of questions about how to properly clean the inside of a computer. It's been almost 2 years since I've opened my rig and of course, dust has settled quite nicely on the fans and the CPU heatsink. You would think there'd be more in 2 years but it still needs cleaning. The comp. has started making definitely more noise recently, especially the Video Card. I finally opened it a few days back to inspect the situation and the first thing I noticed is that my Corsair TX 650W PSU has been turned the wrong way inside my Antec 300 with the fan facing down?! So, I went and bought a can of compressed air and a microfiber cloth but I first wanted to ask a couple of questions here.

I've read a lot of articles and I get that I should be careful with static electicity and that the compressed air shouldn't be blown directly on any fans. What I want to know is:
- What are the parts that I can use the compressed air on? Can I dust off the motherboard with it or could it break some parts off?
- My graphics card's fan is facing down so should I take it out and clean it?
- Do I take off the top 140mm fan and clean the blades with a cloth?
- Do I have to take off the CPU fan and heatsink and do I clean them?
- I know I should turn my PSU the right way but do I have to disconnect it from the mobo before that?

A lot of questions, I know, and I wasn't sure where to post this thread but I guess the hardware section is the best. Sorry about the many questions but I figured this should be done the right way and every guide on how to clean your computer is missing something, so I figured Icrontic as always is the best option.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    You can use the compressed air on pretty much any component in there without too much worry, just don't turn it too far sideways or you'll start getting liquid that may or may not harm the system while it is drying (you can see what I am talking about if you spray it upside down on a surface like the floor/wall).

Worries about static shock are mostly overblown. Don't rub your feet on the carpet in the Amazon during a rainstorm while changing out computer parts and you'll be okay.

The graphics card can be removed and sprayed with compressed air, just be careful unplugging and plugging it back in.

You can certainly remove any case fan and clean it with a damp cloth.

You do not need to remove the CPU HSF to clean them unless they are particularly dirty/won't be blown off. If so, make sure you have new thermal paste to apply to the heatsink and get it spotless (soap and water, followed by water, followed by isopropyl alcohol)

You don't need to disconnect the PSU from the mobo, just make sure not to put any ridiculous strain on the connector/wires. The PSU fan should be down if it is top-mounted (and no top vent) or up if bottom-mounted.

Hopefully that answers it.
  • helicon1984helicon1984 Sovici, Bosna i Hercegovina
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the tips. The PSU is bottom mounted so the fan should face up. I'm not sure why it's facing down at all. I guess those that assembled it didn't exactly know what they were doing. Also, the graphics card's fan is facing down and when I turn the PSU the right way the PSU fan will blow directly on the video card. Is that a problem or not with regards to heating?
    The CPU fan and heatsink are dirty but if I clean them with the compressed air won't that blow the dust directly on the CPU or not?
    edited June 2011
    The fan for your GPU either takes air in and blows it "sideways" along the card, so the PSU directing airflow upward would help dissipate the heated air or the GPU is enclosed and takes in air with the exhaust going out the back of the case. Either way, no problem.

The CPU is covered by the HSF, so no dust would be "directly on" it.
    edited June 2011
    Great. Thanks for the advice.
    edited June 2011
    No problem. A clean computer is a happy computer ... I ended up buying a Scout air compressor for that purpose (longevity + an environmental streak)
    edited June 2011
    Nice. That's the way to go. :D