the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Minecraft
(acronym acronym acronym)

suggested locations
    near Blue Mine

design:
  • Factory?
  • Saddam's Palace?
  • Nuclear Power Plant, with cooling towers?

Definitely will have machinery to supply:
  • unlimited water (duh, 1x3 water trench)
  • unlimited cobble
  • unlimited stone
  • unlimited, easily-harvested wood (capped tree farm)
  • unlimited coal (from trees)
  • in-game demo of complex constructions, like double-decreasing-radii arches, given 2 (or more) coordinates

other:
  • warehouse with massive amounts of storage
  • a new public mine, pre-laid-out for maximum extraction (I have 2 of these so far and haven't needed to mine them more than 50% to fund everything I've done on the server so far)

Comments

• MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like a great idea to me, and an even better way to help get the PWA off the ground.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited June 2011
    • Saddam's Palace?
    combining these would be cool
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    • Saddam's Palace?
    combining these would be cool

One's a presidential palace and one is an industrial complex? :P
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    One's a presidential palace and one is an industrial complex? :P

Your point?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    IMO: The public works building should be simple and utilitarian. Save the extra resources for building the actual works.
    edited June 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    IMO: The public works building should be simple and utilitarian. Save the extra resources for building the actual works.

I'm +1 on this. I've got an idea in my head for a minimalist structure, constructed in a very complex way. Basically a modern art sculpture for a building that uses hardly any resources. I just tried to sketch it and it's too complicated to sketch, but should be easy to build. Best way I can describe it is the shape of Boba Fett's ship, but laying down on the engines and made of stone and glass. It'll be easy to wireframe it and tear it down if people don't like it. I'll try to get it assembled tonight so people can see the basic layout and suggest changes.

I rode the long, long, long trip up to Blue Mine. I started flattening a mountain just ESE of the final turn before blue mine, but was 4 in-game days into it when I noticed a much more spectacular spot on top of a natural plataeu with outcropping SSE of the final turn.

I've built a simple shelter with basic storage there, a basic construction trailer.
    edited June 2011
    Construction of PWA HQ is coming along, I've been delayed for the past week with party planning for the wife's 30th b-day.

I started constructing a fence around the perimeter of the plateau, since I was spending about half of the daylight killing the mobs that would appear overnight. Had 5 creepers one night, spent the entire day trying to kill them from inside the construction trailer.

There's a small tree farm there now, with a basic cobblestone generator. Will be redesigned when 1.7 drops this week.
    edited June 2011
    Got some work done, the basic frame is there. Tree farm is farming.
    edited July 2011
    Coming along. Most of the framework is there. I fear that although this is a very difficult thing to do technically (2-axis curves), it's not very striking visually. Might scrap it.

Link to the location on our google maps, but the site has progressed much further than what is pictured, you'd need to see it on the server.

Debating doing a more traditional building.
    edited July 2011
    A few pics. One of some friend that were not helpful.

The other is of the current HQ building, without glass roof or walls. I'm debating on whether or not to stick with this design or just make a normal square building.

I like the idea of the difficulty of a modern-art style building, but I don't know if it translates in-game too well.

2011-06-26_13.52.54.png

2011-07-03_15.36.36.jpg
    edited July 2011
    A lot of the resource generators rely on pistons for transport, so this is on hold until we have those.

Didn't want y'all tho think I was slackin'.
    edited July 2011
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Seems like some of the items on that tree are mislabeled. For instance, in the 3rd column, the top two items should be Light Grey Dye and Grey Dye, shouldn't they?
    edited August 2011
    The PWA area ended up being established waaay far away from the site where I was building. I found a relatively flat spot near the PWA area, flattened it, and began work on the PWA building. Nothing there yet, but will begin making cobble generators, etc. shortly.