TT's Amateur Beer Reviews

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Heavy Seas is the old Clipper City Brewery in Baltimore. I took Gold Ale and Marzen (or Marz Hon as we say) to Epic 09. The Gold Ale and Marzen are still as they were, just a new logo.

If there is a such thing as enjoyable stout from a bottle, Peg Leg is pretty solid, still, hard to beat a good Guinness pour from one of those widget cans at home. Let me say though, Pegleg, at 8% ABV is more of a drinkers stout, its not for just kicking back some fish and chips, have three Peglegs and you might just start singing some dirty pirate tunes.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    2.7 out of 5

Pours a very clear yellow with a tall fizzy head. Sweet honey-ish malt aroma. Sweet and fizzy mouthfeel with slight malt and microscopic astringent taste. Tiny sweet malt aftertaste. Drinkable, like carbonated water with a twist of malt. Pretty boring.
    edited May 2011
    3.5 out of 5

Pours a lightly colored yellow with minimal carbonation. SLight head with lacing on the glass, paper-thin bubbles on top. Aroma is of sweet malt with a hint of spiciness. Taste is quite different than expected, an earthy yeast surprise with a bit of medicine hiding in there. Bubbly and thicker on the palate than expected on an ale this lightly colored, with a spicy hops aftertaste.
    edited May 2011
    3.3 out of 5

Pours the standard black with a high initial head that fades back to a self-sustaining 1/4-inch coffee color. Less aroma than would be expected in this stout, with the only noticeable character being a light maltiness. Thin but creamy palate with decent carbonation. Noticeable dry spiciness throughout - tastes like they've included some rice alcohol with this one. Slight chocolate finish with a slight malt/hops aftertaste. Would be good for the dark beer beginner, very easy to process - seems like a "stout light".
    edited May 2011
    That last one was #52 - met my '52 beers in a year' goal 20 days early :)

Brewed 2 beers this weekend to "celebrate" (not like it's hard work...)
    edited May 2011
    4.2 out of 5

Pours a cloudy orange with a giant head - going from bottle to glass easily took 5 minutes with the massive head this beer produces. Suffice to say, great carbonation and a 4-inch pillowy head promotes a prominent aroma profile. What you get is a smell sweet malt with overtones of the required clove and hints of bubble gum. The taste doesn't disappoint - a good wheat base with more of the same - light, spicy hops to balance the malt with clove and a tiny bubble gum lining. It's refreshingly light on the palate with a lasting thirst-quench to it.. Slightly sticky mouthfeel afterwards.

fun fact: if you thought the beer's name was long, the full brewery name is 'Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan'. (psst, they're German)

fun fact 2: apparently they're "the world's oldest brewery" (according to themselves) - founded in 1040.
    edited May 2011
    3.1 out of 5

Pours the traditional Stout black with a creamy light brown head. Aroma is quite sweet, as is the taste. Very sugary on the palate with a light burst of carbonation. Very creamy with a slight hint of the traditional porter roasted taste. Finish is a light roasted flavor and a sticky mouthfeel.

If you're looking for a traditional Porter, look elsewhere. As someone who doesn't eat a lot of sweet foods, I find this one to be overly sweet - reminds me of that last sip of coffee when you didn't mix the sugar in too well.
    edited May 2011
    3.5 out of 5

Pours a dark brown with a good cream head. Aroma is of roasted malt with a slight yeast. Taste is complex with dark malt and spicy hops overtones. Slight astringent and chocolate aftertaste and leaves a clean but slightly sticky mouthfeel.

Mmm, blasphemous.
    edited May 2011
    3.3 out of 5

Pours an overly-carbonated dark reddish-amber. After the 60%-tall head settles in the glass, what's left is a bubbly and fragrant malty aroma. The taste hits the palate with a very roasted malt flavor, bordering on straight caramel. Think and creamy, the spice of hops is almost hidden behind the huge malt taste. Leaves a sticky-sweet malty mouthfeel. Nothing wrong about this beer, but is a bit of a one-hit wonder with the malt taste being its only outstanding characteristic.
    edited May 2011
    3.8 out of 5

Pours a hazy straw-yellow with a large, foamy white head. Good carbonation keeps a thin head and promotes a noted and pleasant wheat aroma with a whiff of banana and clove. Classy wheat taste brings tones of lemon throughout with some spicy clove and a hint of banana underneath. Wheat grain aftertaste leaves a clean and slightly sticky mouthfeel. Nice summer beer, and the aroma/taste immediately makes me think of a late summer wheat field.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    edited May 2011
    3.2 out of 5

Pours a very foggy orange with minimal head formation that dissipates quickly. Aroma is that of orange and bitter wheat. Taste is of bitter orange peel with a bit of spicy yeast. Mouthfeel is a little heavier than a regular ale and leaves a slightly sticky bitter citrus aftertaste.
    edited June 2011
    1.4 out of 5

Pours a cloudy orange with a creamy half-centimeter head that barely replenishes itself with an almost nonexistent carbonation. Strong lemon citrus aroma with wheat malt. Spicy flavor, slightly skunky and followed with a metallic tang and astringent flavor. Irritating to the palate and unpleasant.

Pretty disappointing for a local microbrew. i root for the small locals, but..no. Just no.

edit: changed from 1.7 to 1.4. Got tough not to do a drain pour of a half-bottle. Was rewarded with instant headache. This one's got problems.
    edited June 2011
    3.3 out of 5

Pours a clear straw color with a foamy head and good carbonation. Aroma is of faint orange peel and yeast. Complex spicy taste is like red apple with hops and a slight cover of clove and coriander with a good mouthfeel. Finish has a slight taste of detergent?
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I noticed you reviewed Guinness Draught. Have you tried Guinness Extra Stout?
    edited June 2011
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    I noticed you reviewed Guinness Draught. Have you tried Guinness Extra Stout?

Guinness makes 5 different versions of its Stout for different geographical regions, and I haven't reviewed them yet. I can't recall if I've had the Stout casually or not, but I'm looking forward to getting more into the darker beers as the weather cools down and my own brewing schedule moved from the golden ales to reds to darks. I try to taste/review as many beers as I can that are similar to the style I'm currently brewing so I can identify better what characteristics I like/dislike/desire my beers to have.
    edited June 2011
    3.0 out of 5

Pours a cloudy straw color with a foamy, lasting head that clings to the glass.Sweet wheat malt aroma with a touch of bitter orange peel? taste subdued and light while slightly sweet. Thick and bubbly mouthfeel leaves a wheat grain aftertaste with a slight highlight of bitterness & sour. Nothing too out of the ordinary here, just a decent, plain hefe.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    4.4 out of 5

Easy poor and well carbonated. Very dark amber with a thin head that replenishes itself for several minutes - helps the beer give off a very nice malt aroma with a slight yeast behind it. Nice spicy hop taste is combined with a bubbly and dry palate. Good ABV and the malt aftertaste isn’t bad either.

** this one just took #1 on my beer ratings list, just edged out Bells Porter (4.3)

Where does a newb find such a brew? :respect:
    edited June 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Where does a newb find such a brew? :respect:

Maudite is surprisingly available at select beer stores. Either in stock, or they can get it. I got mine at Cost Plus World Market in a make-you-own-six-pack. that included a Bells Oatmeal. Someone at my local store apparently knows their stuff.
    edited July 2011
    I'm on vacation this week and away from my homebrew. You know what that means... ohhhhh maaaaan!
    edited July 2011
    4.4 out of 5

Pours dark and nearly opaque with a brownish-white and creamy head. Very fruity aroma is clean and strong. Taste is bold, complex and very good. Fruit overtones are backed by soft coffee and chocolate traces, and a slight toffee sweetness. Hops provide a great balance and spice. Mouthfeel is bubbly and thick. Aftertaste is a slight spicy toffee with chocolate and coffee. Amazing beer - it's ones like this that put food to shame. Simply amazing.

Just tied Unibroue Maudite for 1st out of 63 beers reviewed. Somebody over at Unibroue has their stuff together. Don't have this one with anything. No food, no other beer, nothing.
    edited July 2011
    2.8 out of 5

Pours an opaque amber with a fizzy head that dissipates in 20 seconds or so. Smells strongly or orange, coriander, fruit and slight hop spice. Syrupy and heavy mouthfeel with a very strong bitter orange taste. Bitter taste overwhelms almost everything else, but there's a little bit of caramel ending.

This is what happens when you take a light and complex beer style (a summer wheat) and blow one of the flavors way out of proportion. Not enjoyable.
    edited July 2011
    2.1 out of 5

Pours a clear, dark ruby with a very, very tall and pillowy head. Sweet vinegar or red wine aroma. Strong sour flavoring of bitter green apples. Mouthfeel is watery. Reminds me more of a very strongly flavored hard cider than beer. I can understand people who might like it, but it's hard to get into the style.

2 very unenjoyable beers, back to back. :(

I've got one left in the fridge, really hoping for a winner.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Shut your mouth about Duchess. Flemish is where it's at!
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I think you're looking for the wrong thing with the imperial white. Imperial anything is an entirely different animal than it's counterparts (a standard white). Imperials tend to gravitate toward some of the IPA flavors and aromas, even in the stout arena.

Your description is pretty much precisely what I would expect to see out of an imperial white.
    edited July 2011
    I'm sure they're both exemplary institutions of their own styles - not a fan of the style, apparently.
    edited July 2011
    3.5 out of 5

Pours a clear golden and well carbonated. Bubbly head quickly dissipates. Aroma is a very light, almost undetectable hops. Orange citrus flavor hits the palate hard, followed by a good hops balance. The Unibroue yeast strain is there and recognizable. Easy hops spice and orange flavor stays in the mouth following a fizzy mouthfeel.

Other Unibroue brews do a better job of pairing flavors with what the yeast brings to this beer.
    edited July 2011
    4.1 out of 5

Pours a dark amber with mild carbonation. Fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Aromatic hops aroma readily come off this beer with a rich and slightly spicy boldly in front. Nice and think on the palate with decent carbonation. Strong hops flavoring more on the aromatic side than on the bitterness end. Mellows in the middle, followed by a strongly bitter hops taste. Nice IPA with a powerful hops character.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I spent the (ridiculously hot. FFFFF I hate the midwest sometimes) weekend with a 6-pack of Bell's Oberon. Such a perfect brew for the weather.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I picked up 4-packs of Unibroue Trois Pistoles (off the rec up there somewhere) and Unibroue Chambly Blanche (because it was something else from that company) and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Will continue doing so later this week.
    edited July 2011
    Oberon's a good summer brew. At one time it was my favorite, but the consistency is off in my opinion. Keeps going from awesome to tasting like soap to me.

Glad you liked unibroue. Try the maudite sometime.