Private Signs

UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big NastyIndianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Minecraft
I don't know how everyone feels about this but I know there's a few people (myself included) that do not like the configuration that makes every sign private. Us UPS folks like to put funny signs everywhere because... well that's just what we do, but there are times that I want to expand or change a building but if there is a sign that was placed there in the past there is no way to get rid of it unless the original owner of that sign removes it or makes it public. I propose that every sign placed should be public as default but it the owner wants to make it private then by all means use the lwc command and do so. I would like to see what everyone else that plays on a consistent basis thinks about this and if the majority approves then see if we can get it changed.

Comments

• carwolfcarwolf Member
    edited July 2011
    yes plz change it
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited July 2011
    Similar experience here, I usually leave signs to say "Hi I was here" or to collaborate with other builders. I can kind of understand why it was set private with everything else, but it would be helpful for me and the people I work with if signs went back to public.
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    edited July 2011
    I'm with hitman on this one. I find the private signs a nuisance, and most of the time useless. I've even had to have someone go to the trouble to log on just to remove a couple of signs he left to leave me some info just so I could continue working, as I needed to alter the blocks the signs were on but couldn't. I also enjoy leaing comical signs for friends, and can't do that now that they're private as they'd be a real pain for them.

As for any signs that are actually important, say ones that are holding back lava or water, or ones that owner is worried that someone might change for whatever reason, let them lock it manually. Quite honestly, this auto-private thing is only convenient for chests in my opinion, maybe furnaces. Even with those I've found it kind of annoying.

But not to stray off on a tangent, if i'm talking about just signs, it's a big fat 'agree' to Hitman.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Agreed with everyone else, non-private signs again, please. Especially for the reason Gorzon said - we've all been placing signs to say hello or to have fun or whatever, but having to ask someone else to log in just to remove a sign in my way totally blows.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    ^
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I probably dropped the ball on this. It was reported to me and I don't remember passing the request on to Ardi.

Right now we are still awaiting a Recommended Build without issues to upgrade Bukkit, we will have to wait to address anything else until that point.

Sorry for the delay guys, it's going to be like this until Mojang creates it's own server software that gets updated with the game.

-Digi
    edited July 2011
    I suspect that it will be with the release of the game that they do that.

If you mess around in LWC there is a persist command you can use to make all signs public for a session, which can save time if you need to make a few!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I've looked into this. It seems there was a change to the settings with one of the recent LWC updates. Should just be a matter of disabling sign protection to take care of this. Let me know if you want me to do so Digi.

We can also leave Sign protection as an option but set the default for newly created signs to public instead of private.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    sweet that sounds great guys! Thanks a lot!
    edited July 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    We can also leave Sign protection as an option but set the default for newly created signs to public instead of private.

This sounds perfect :-D

-Digi
    edited July 2011
    While we will be able to change the signs being private by default, I do not think it is a good idea to blanket remove the perms from current signs. If you have any offending signs, shoot me a PM with the Coords and I will take care of them.

-Digi
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Fixed. See the changelog.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Thanks admins for the hard work!! This will be a great fix!
    edited July 2011
    Thanks Ardi! I know you're busy but this is great