Ubuntu Linux 11.04 - interface looking better.

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Science & Tech
I keep an Ubuntu Linux CD around for testing people's computers with. My previous version was 8.04. I just burned the ISO of 11.04 and tried it, and it was much better. Mainly the user interface. It was much easier to look at the hard drives and what was on them. Haven't tried copying files to a flash drive yet, but I will.

In 8.04, you had to learn that stuff from Ubuntu fanboys a lot more. I used it enough to test out a PC, but didn't bother to learn much about how it worked or how to do things in it. 11.04 is far more user friendly!:thumbsup:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2011
    Yes each version gets better and better. But it's still not suited for general use.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    10.10's interface was better, imo
  • FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited July 2011
    I haven't tried 11.04 yet, because a bunch of people I know raged about Unity
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    It's easily reverted - when you log in, you can have it load "ubuntu classic" and it skips unity.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I like the refinements of Linux Mint 11 personally. Give it a spin if you have yet to try it.
  • FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited July 2011
    I like the refinements of Linux Mint 11 personally. Give it a spin if you have yet to try it.

Yeah I currently have Ubuntu 10.04 on one of my computers, and Mint 11 on the other, and I really find Mint to be enjoyable. I have been thinking about upgrading my 10.04 to 11.04, but I always find it too much of a hassle to upgrade, something always seems to go wrong.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Unity needs some serious performance tuning. Kind of pathetic that an interface that started as a netbook interface has gotten so bloated and resource hungry in such a short amount of time. Hopefully they can tame it in time for the LTS release in October.