My C Drive missing

edited July 2011 in Science & Tech
My PC With WIN XP Pro has crashed.Observations as under:

1. Before crashing...it made strange (sexy some what !)sounds...and flashed message that
"Your computer has been f***kked"....abusive language used !!!
2. NTOSKRNL missing after reboot.
3. I tried to boot PC though a Bootable floppy
4. Unable to transit from Drive A (Floppy) to Drive C
5.Booted the system through an ERD Commander CD and checked.
6.Found Sysinfoserv.exe , Ghostmp3 9sexy in MSOcache on C;Drive
7. Also found MYRVC.exe in Sys32 directory
8.I removed sysinfo and myrvc files.
9.copied NTSOKRNL from a healthy system and transferred to my affected system in the ERC Commander environment
10. After reboot through floppy,still no trace of C: drive.
11. Nor the system is booting on its own.(Now there is no msg that NTOSKRNL is missing)
12.NTLDR, NTDETECT, boot.ini are all in place
12.Tried Repair option (R),using WIN XP OS CD
13, Tried and successfully reconstructed boot.ini (after backing up original boot.ini) as described by some one in this forum.(Repairing XP in Eight Commands).
14.Still no use, My C Drive is still not accessible after reboot through floppy.

Well how to proceed further. Matter urgent. I dont wnt to format and re install windows for the time being.
Any help please ??

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Follow all of the directions from http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp/ exactly, then report back here. It sounds very definitely like you got a virus which deleted/removed key files, so a reformat and reinstall may be the only way to fix it (and is probably the most advised).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    He already followed those steps.
    edited June 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    It sounds very definitely like you got a virus which deleted/removed key files, so a reformat and reinstall may be the only way to fix it (and is advised).
  • edited June 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Follow all of the directions from http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp/ exactly, then report back here. It sounds very definitely like you got a virus which deleted/removed key files, so a reformat and reinstall may be the only way to fix it (and is probably the most advised).

Thanks Tushon,
    I have already tried this. And fixed boot.ini related problem.Still no use.
    I wont format and re-install Win XP for now. I want to fight it out and try restore the system at any cost !!! From console recovery, I will try options : Such as C:fixboot [drive] and C:fixmbr[devicename] .

Will let u know the results. Be in touch.

thanks
    foxkid

I got some tips in fixing
    edited June 2011
    Good luck.
  • edited June 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Good luck.

Well, Tushon.

Itried my best to restore the system but no use.I could not rebuild boot.ini. Sysinfoserv.exe has wiped out all my various programs and all text files are modified with abusive text.All exe files have been reduced to 13KB (dead files).I reformatted the system reinstalled WIN XP. I have to start all over again. Ofcourse I had zipped andd backed up all my important data. Zipped data is intact. Before formatting i recovered these booting the affected system through ERD Commander CD.

foxkid
    edited June 2011
    Good deal. I thought that would end up being what was required :(
  • FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited July 2011
    I... Uhhh.... wut^?
    edited July 2011
    You can't "lose" the drive, but it can fail and cause you to lose data, or, as in this case, a virus can manipulate existing files/data to an extreme that makes the system unrecoverable. I wouldn't pay a data recovery service to go through renaming files and hoping the virus didn't also inject content into those files.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I once had a party where a juggler showed up uninvited. Guy would juggle anything he could - beanbags, drinks, knives, whatever was around. I happened to have a stack of hard drives laying around - asshole started juggling them.

Surprise surprise, he was also a sleight of hand expert, and let's just say he didn't camp on a moral plateau. He left that party with a hard drive that still had windows 3.1 installed on it from a long time ago.

tl;dr, I once lost a drive.

<3
    edited July 2011
    Best way to lose a drive, amirite? Way better than getting mugged.