fragmented files from outlook express

I believe my computer is bogged down by fragmented files from using Outlook Express and I can't remove them.

I do not have the password to Outlook Express - this is an old, backup computer - my other one kept rebooting on it's own.

Is there a way I can remove all these files from my computer? Thanks.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Your computer can't be slowed down by files that are sitting there on the hard drive. That said, what version of Windows is it, and (if possible) what version of Outlook was it running?

We can help you recover the space.
  • edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Your computer can't be slowed down by files that are sitting there on the hard drive. That said, what version of Windows is it, and (if possible) what version of Outlook was it running?

We can help you recover the space.

It's XP version 2002
    The Outlook is an old version!
    I don't know, how can I find out? Thank you very much.
  • edited July 2011
    I have a huge amount of fragmented files on my computer. I have defragmented it many times and there is gobs of red fragmented files. I am afraid of downloading free software that may be harmful to my computer. Does anyone have anything to recommend?

Thanks to Thrax who explained that files sitting on the hard drive do not slow down my computer.

It appears I do not have much memory left (23%). Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

-Suzanne
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Download and run ccleaner first and foremost

http://ccleaner.com
    edited July 2011
    Open My Computer, paste this into the address bar, and hit enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft -- delete the Outlook folder inside there.

Now paste this into the address bar, and hit enter: %appdata%\Microsoft -- delete the Outlook folder inside there.

This will delete all the Outlook files and settings for whatever mail account was configured in the program. If there's more than one user account on the system, repeat these steps for every user account.

Last, but not least, you can uninstall Outlook from add/remove programs in the control panel to get rid of the program itself.
  • edited July 2011
    Thrax,

I opened My Computer, pasted %localappdata%\Microsoft into the address bar and my Firefox browser opened and I got:
    Sorry, Bad Request.

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

When I have looked for Outlook from add/remove programs in the control panel, there is no Outlook, but I have unchecked the box so it is not functioning.

I look forward to any suggestions.
  • edited July 2011
    Download and run ccleaner first and foremost

http://ccleaner.com

Hi primesuspect, I went to the link and right now cannot afford to buy anything - I've been unemployed for over 2 months and hurting. But later when I can I will try this; thank you very much.

-Suzanne
    edited July 2011
    CCleaner is free. You have to look hard to find the free link, so just ignore the buy link.
  • edited July 2011
    Okay, I downloaded CCleaner - thanks for pointing out that it's free and for recommending it.

I am now using it and trying it out - thanks so much, guys!

I'll let you know how it goes.

-Suzanne
  • edited July 2011
    CCleaner seems to be working well!

Thanks for the tip!

-Suz