We're moving to Detroit

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Community
It's been a long time coming, but Matt, Nicole, and I have been looking at houses in Detroit.

Matt and I also just launched IntoDetroit: A community and blog site for those who are interesting in moving to Detroit or are just into Detroit's awesome new story, culture, energy, or otherwise.

We'll keep you guys up to date!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Good luck.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Sounds like an adventure! Can we have a funeral for the old ICHQ and bury it?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Very interesting, I wish you well and commend you for doing all you can to revive that city.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    wait, all this time you've been telling everyone you live in Detroit and you didn't...

reminds me of cake and Borderlands...

<3
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    It's been a long time coming, but Matt, Nicole, and I have been looking at houses in Detroit.

Someone here is missing... :wtf:
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Winfrey wrote:
    Someone here is missing... :wtf:

Unless he's signing over the house to Kyle and Perry. Won't Scotty be surprised? :D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Sorry, Brian. Your online friends (rad friends) have talked it over, and we've decided that you're not allowed to move unless you remain within five-minutes drive of that $40/night-for-up-to-four-people LaQuinta.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Well, project's off then!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    One does not simply walk into Detroit.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    We've talked about you moving a few times and your line has always been that you're stuck to the Warren house. What's the plan man? Sell the house and take a loss? Just wondering the economics of it all.

Also, please please please please get a place like what my friend did. They remodeled a 4,000 sq ft loft above an old business to be their home and opened shops below it. That way Troublebaker could have her bakery and you could finally realize the dream of having an Icrontic space.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Holy crap, I think I'd sell my left testicle to live in that place.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Wow, That is a cool space. That would be awesome, but might be hard to find.
    edited August 2011
    Pretty sweet, I'd sell Ardichoke's right testicle to live there.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Canti wrote:
    Sounds like an adventure! Can we have a funeral for the old ICHQ and bury it?

Viking funeral is way more appropriate in my opinion.

I guess since his left testicle was claimed I would have to sell Ardi's right one to live there. Pretty sweet house broskies.
    edited August 2011
    Canti wrote:
    Pretty sweet, I'd sell Ardichoke's right testicle to live there.

Already called it Koreish :p. You can have BOTH of his kidney's though.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    G'luck, dudes. Just make sure you're aware of what you're getting into:

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aktLRiWXfqg&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Never forget
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    How da hell we asposta' keep peace?
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    What about the kids? Is Scotty keeping them? :D
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    That's just awesome. I've been itching to buy a house closer to the city or even in it - but we won't get houses nearly as cheap as you will. What's up with that 38k house? Is it stripped inside? Is there a ghost?
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I guess you could just have your neighbors burn down ICHQ 1.0, it seems like they were pretty good at burning up their own digs.

I'm excited for you all. Best of luck. Also ... Bobby --- nice video. I like how it ends with her walking in to a WhiteCastle. =-]
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Annes wrote:
    That's just awesome. I've been itching to buy a house closer to the city or even in it - but we won't get houses nearly as cheap as you will. What's up with that 38k house? Is it stripped inside? Is there a ghost?

It's Detroit. You can buy property for $1 if you look a little. People mostly don't want to live there, even in the nice places, so property is hella cheap.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    You can buy property for $1 if you look a little.

Where do I sign up?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Where do I sign up?

Detroit
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Wayne County Tax Sale. I helped publish it for two years, and gave technical consultation on the printing side of things for it. The "$1 house" myth is just that, there is no such thing; but you can find distressed properties for a few thousand bucks. Most of the foreclosed and tax sale properties are yours if you make up the back taxes and take care of any environmental concerns; you also have to show a building plan to prove that you're not just squatting on cheap property as a speculator. You have to improve what you buy. Detroit's not a free-for-all.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    One does not simply walk into Detroit.

You're right. This is how we roll:
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pni_BDSUlbM&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    And here people buy huts and cabins for $300,000+ :/

A bit off topic, but would it be possible for a non-american citizen to own a property in Detroit for the purpose of holiday spending? Some countries allow that, but within a limited time frame and not more than an amount of weeks or months straight without leaving the country for an amount of time. I guess the visa would sort that, but property? I know, some would call me nucking futs for thinking this way, but hey, every winter, i hit a penguin in the forehead on my way out the door and salute an icebear when hauling the ass to the mailbox.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    but hey, every winter, i hit a penguin in the forehead on my way out the door and salute an icebear when hauling the ass to the mailbox.

I think you live in Svalbard from the "His Dark Materials" universe.

http://www.ideal-living.com/?p=54 seems to be right up your alley as a jumping off point
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    And here people buy huts and cabins for $300,000+ :/

A bit off topic, but would it be possible for a non-american citizen to own a property in Detroit for the purpose of holiday spending? Some countries allow that, but within a limited time frame and not more than an amount of weeks or months straight without leaving the country for an amount of time. I guess the visa would sort that, but property? I know, some would call me nucking futs for thinking this way, but hey, every winter, i hit a penguin in the forehead on my way out the door and salute an icebear when hauling the ass to the mailbox.

Your options for ownership increase tenfold if you have a valid Visa or card, but a very broad "it's possible" is true. Your biggest issue will be securing a loan.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Koreish wrote:
    Viking funeral is way more appropriate in my opinion

You mean cover it in rocks with furniture and all? Doesn't sound very practical..
    I know, some would call me nucking futs for thinking this way, but hey, every winter, i hit a penguin in the forehead on my way out the door and salute an icebear when hauling the ass to the mailbox

Oh, it's not that bad over here... BTW, in Detroit, instead of shoveling snow, you'd have to cut cacti, and instead of saluting polar bears youd have to battle snakes and spiders. Because, if you haven't noticed, Detroit is EXTREMELY FUCKING HOT!

Oh, and Brian, I know it's officially called "Warren", but isn't that Detroit?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    the city of Warren has the the 3rd largest population in Michigan. It is NOT Detroit ;)