Brew Day 7/9/2011

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited September 2011 in Food & Drink
Spiced Pumpkin Weizenbier. I came up with this recipe with fall in mind as it should be aged well and ready around Oktoberfest.

Brewed in a traditional double decoction step mash. I had the potentially good or bad idea to add the pumpkin during decoction so it would cook in with the boiling grains. It smelled amazing so I am hoping it pans out.

Its hopped with an oz. of Tettnanger. A low acid noble hop. I don't want much bitterness to this.

Spiced in primary fermentation with ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

The yeast I went with will produce a nice sweet banana/clove flavor. I am fermenting it on the higher temp side to produce more clove as I think that will go with the pumpkin well.

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2011
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    ALCHEMY! You will open your own brewery one day.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Nice! That sounds spectacular. Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out.

I remember us all tasting some of the grains when you brewed at EPIC 2010 I think it was. Good stuff.
    edited July 2011
    Update on this. Primary fermentation is finished and I have moved it over to a secondary to let it settle out a bit more. Had a sample and it is fantastic. Going to bottle it up this week and it'll be good for Summer Shindig.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I've got a case of IPA ready for the fridge as of today 8)

Now if I could just find a way to get rid of my accidentally supercarbonated Saison...
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    But it's not Fall yet!
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    International IPA Day is August 4. :)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I was talking about Andrew's Fall beer. IPA is good any day!
    edited August 2011
    Its all bottled, chillen out for a week or two. I'll post when I try the first one.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Nice!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I desperately want to learn how to do this now. :thumbup
    edited August 2011
    I desperately want to learn how to do this now. :thumbup

Its very simple in principal, but like with anything you can make it as complicated as you want.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Read all of this if you are really interested. It gives a good overview of the entire process.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    MAGIC wrote:
    Its very simple in principal, but like with anything you can make it as complicated as you want.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Read all of this if you are really interested. It gives a good overview of the entire process.
    Too true. I was shocked at how easily my first batch came together. It's in the fermenter right now with at least another week to go before either bottling or a secondary fermentation. Start with a kit to get an idea of the basics, then start branching out. I got the starter kit Buddy J posted in this thread and a brew kit of their AK-47 mild pale. Did the brewing on Saturday and it was awesome.