Kids and gaming today.

Slayer5227Slayer5227 Elkridge Member
edited September 2011 in Gaming
The more I talk to my friends who are heavy into gaming like I am I realize that kids my age (I'm 16) have no appreciation for games made years ago. I had a conversation with a few of my friends. We were discussing which FPS was the greatest of all time. My friends said Call of Duty and their favorite being MW2. I said TF2 was easily the greatest multiplayer first person shooter ever made. Then we discussed our favorite single player FPS of all time. Theirs was once again the Call of Duty singleplayers. I said Half Life 2 or Quake 2. They told me that all those games suck and the graphics are terrible. So graphics tell an amazing plot and pull you in to a deep gaming experience? The more I talk to kids my age, the less hope I have for the future of gaming.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    There was once a time when the elite thought that the world was going to hell in a handbasket because all the kids were reading these new-fangled "novels". "Long-form fiction in prose?" they asked incredulously, "What is the world of literature coming to?"
  • Slayer5227Slayer5227 Elkridge Member
    edited August 2011
    So same thing applies here ya think?
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I do admit that CoD multiplayer is fun, but I would have to say that games like Portal 2 and the Half Life series have SO much more to offer a person in way of depth and immersion into the story. I think you'll find that most of the people that believe CoD is one of the greatest series of all time have done very little PC gaming and haven't explored many of the great titles that we as PC gamers have.
    edited August 2011
    I'm not gonna say that I was never like that but then I dabbled into PC gaming and Cliff introduced me to a lot of classic PC titles and I have ever since been an elitist in that sense haha. I have never been deeply immersed by Call of Duty. Portal 2 and Half life 2 are great examples of what an amazing plot, character development, and voice acting can do for a game. PC gaming does open up a lot of classic titles to play that I would have never touched otherwise.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    CB wrote:
    There was once a time when the elite thought that the world was going to hell in a handbasket because all the kids were reading these new-fangled "novels". "Long-form fiction in prose?" they asked incredulously, "What is the world of literature coming to?"

In this case, the difference is more about what kind of novel they're reading. They're all FPS games, but they're of different genres. It's less comparing new-fangled novels to older forms of literature than it is comparing (for instance) sci-fi novels to alternate history novels, or something like that. Or maybe just literary fiction to commercial fiction.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Kids today also don't know what real video game music is. Everything today is done by Hans Zimmer. Years ago, we had masterpieces like this:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BGNSHNf-nlU&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Jesus, it doesn't get much more complicated than that for the NES. Impressive.
    edited August 2011
    I remember a lot of amazing scores from when I had an NES and SEGA there were a lot of greats, Silver surfer was amazing!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Starman wrote:
    Or maybe just literary fiction to commercial fiction.

That may be a better point. I mean: look at stuff like Twain and Bradbury. Considered pulp junk in their own time, and now they are thought of as literary masters.

Even Shakespeare was considered "commercial" and "common" in his time. There are countless reports of commenters who felt that Shakespeare and his contemporaries were ruining 'real' theater for all the people who really knew what theater was supposed to be.

But whether we're talking about medium, genre, or a specific artist, people in the know always think that the new, popular stuff is crap, and that the people enjoying that stuff are dullards.
    edited August 2011
    I'm not saying all games made today are crap or even the popular stuff. I enjoy Call of Duty and all that, but there is no appreciation of classic games in my generation it seems. My point being that the new stuff is good (sometimes) but the old stuff gets over looked because it's "dated"
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Jesus, it doesn't get much more complicated than that for the NES. Impressive.

Too bad the game totally blew, the soundtrack was marvelous. I consider that song one of the finest, if not my favorite NES track.
    edited August 2011
    CB wrote:
    But whether we're talking about medium, genre, or a specific artist, people in the know always think that the new, popular stuff is crap, and that the people enjoying that stuff are dullards.

Absolutely. This is a point on which I agree. Now, I do have some elitist opinions (what with being an admitted elitist, and all), but that doesn't mean that everything that's not HL2 is trash. I'm not so big on the Call of Duty franchise, but there are plenty of FPS games that I think are grand. Hell, I liked the first Modern Warfare just fine. I haven't played the second one, though.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Whenever I talk to my kids about the games they're playing, it makes my heart hurt... for exactly the reasons Slayer is talking about. And not even because they're 'bad games,' but because when I bring up a predecessor they've played, they rip on it.

I have nothing more to add to the conversation than that I'm glad a sixteen year old kid is willing to give oldie/goodies a chance. :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    My sons are 13 and 12 and both are at least respectful, if not downright into, classic gaming. I'm making sure they understand gaming's roots; but I think this is something only a gaming parent can do for their kids.
    edited August 2011
    I'm really pleased at how this was received I am by no means ripping apart newer franchises. I just like to point out that the majority of kids today don't appreciate classics. The Call of Duty series is good but it's by no means a classic or the best of all time in my opinion. Again I'm glad to get the opinions of everyone posting here.
  • FreshyPFreshyP Don Cheadle Cyberspace Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    My sons are 13 and 12 and both are at least respectful, if not downright into, classic gaming. I'm making sure they understand gaming's roots; but I think this is something only a gaming parent can do for their kids.

Dude, classic gaming is so awesome, of course I'm into it.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I remember when Asteriods was THE fps game! Back then, no one knew what FPS even was!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I'm old enough to remember when this was state of the art.

s_Pitfall_2.png

Age helps us all gain some perspective. What amazes me are all the little milestones, all those things that you never thought possible, the real "wow" moments for the hobby. My first memory of a video game was an original Asteroids machine in a Pizza Hut. You thought, okay, its cool, I just try to get everything I can out of this one quarter. Then, you could play at home on your TV, that in and of itself was a huge deal at one time. Then they made games that were not just arcade games to play at home, they were different experiences dedicated for a home player. Pitfall was one of the first games that did this really well. If you are a gamer long enough you gain the perspective of saying, oh, that was really innovative, or maybe even saying, that game saved the hobby or propelled it forward so I could enjoy the games I have now.

A game like Quake II, it basically popularized gaming across modems. Other games did it prior, but it was the game that got people to say, okay, maybe this online PC gaming thing has a future. If you were not there for it, it's kind of hard to know what it meant at the time and how its connected to the things we enjoy today.
    edited August 2011
    I think the coolest thing about this whole gaming hobby or PC gaming is that moment when you are completely satisfied with a game and the ending was just incredible and left you speechless. The connect you get to characters and the emotion you can put into a game. That is one of the cool things with the modern technology is that it's much easier to get drawn in, because it's so darn pretty and realistic. Classic games do this with the incredible plots and that is what I love about gaming is the satisfaction you get from another story finished and another chapter closed.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Slayer5227 wrote:
    I think the coolest thing about this whole gaming hobby or PC gaming is that moment when you are completely satisfied with a game and the ending was just incredible and left you speechless.

After reading this I encourage you to play Final Fantasy 10 and Metal Gear Solid 3 if you haven't. Try not to choke up at the end, you will fail.
    s_Pitfall_2.png

Dude look at that wicked sick scorpion! That's like a 6 ft. tall arthropod. Modern game enemies have NOTHING on that scary badass.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    The defining moment in gaming for me remains not the advent of "door" games on BBSes - you know what I'm talking about Tradewars fans - but something a little more innovative. I speak of GameConnection for MajorBBS exclusively. I remember when we first discovered it; I was assisting on admin duties with a BBS at the time. "Wait, for a few grand, we can let people play Doom multiplayer on the BBS!? We don't need them locally networked with IPX/SPX?!" (Seriously, this predated widespread PPP. So it was a Big Freaking Deal. Usenet with a UUCP connection was the pinnacle of cool.)
    Pings? We didn't know, didn't care. Buggy? Oh hell yes. But holy crap, now you could play Deatmatch against somebody 50 miles away instead of just 50 feet. Eventually it added support for more games; Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen, you know the progression probably better than I do at this point. These days, people seem to freak if a game doesn't have multiplayer over the Internet, or they can't get it from Steam.

And now I want the tarzan SFX from Pitfall for a ringtone.
  • FearmyblinkFearmyblink California Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    That's strange, most of my friends (18 years old range) almost all agree that cs:s was the best multiplayer fps. i also think it is, but i haven't really dabbled in TF2 really. CoD 4 back in its prime was a very good game and a fun experience i must say, all of the CoD's since then however have been lack luster.
    edited August 2011
    Canti wrote:
    After reading this I encourage you to play Final Fantasy 10 and Metal Gear Solid 3 if you haven't. Try not to choke up at the end, you will fail.

I've played Metal Gear Solid 3 and I did tear up I'm not gonna lie. The ending to MGS4 made me choke up a little too. I have never touched FFX I don't know if I can drop 60 hours into a game.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    You're 16, the older you get the less chance you will have to drop that much time into a game. Do it now while you're young. Besides it's really more like 30-40 if you don't get too much into maxing out your levels and finding everything like I did when I was your age. I put well over 300 hours into it over a few play throughs.
    edited August 2011
    Is it available on PC or do I have to play it on cosolololololol?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Consolololol.
    edited August 2011
    Awww :(
    edited August 2011
    You could run it on a PS2 emulator but I don't know how reliable that would be.
    edited August 2011
    If you have a PS2 already (or a backwards compatible PS3), what's the harm in playing FFX on it? A console is fine, too.
    edited August 2011
    I have a PS2 I just don't really like playing without a mouse and keyboard