NFL Sunday Ticket on PS3

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited September 2011 in Internet & Media
My son is an avid Carolina Panthers fan, out of market obviously because we are in Baltimore. Don't ask me why, I tried to raise the boy right.... :rolleyes:

Anyhow he is all grown up and getting a place of his own. He is not permited to have a dish where he is moving. He wants the Sunday ticket package that will be offered streaming on the PS3.

First, is anyone on Icrontic considering this? Do we know anyone that might be? I'd really like him to get a good technical perspective on how well it works before he shells out $340 for the service. I'm a little skeptical, that's allot of live HD streaming content all at once. He will have a 20 megabit cable connection, so I assume the bandwidth will be as good as the next guy and it should work fine, but I'd really like to see what people think of the service after week one before shelling out.

Anyone have interest in this package? What do we think, do you think they will pull it off on US broadband?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Carolina Panthers? How the hell does that work.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Carolina Panthers? How the hell does that work.

I don't get it, Baltimore has a fantastic franchise and an amazing football tradition. I'd understand someone jumping ship on the O's, at his tender age he can't recall a single good season for them, but the Ravens! What they ever do to him?

Seriously, he is a Panthers fan. He has been since prior to the season where they lost to the Pats in the Super Bowl. He has helmets, posters, flags, the whole nine. He usually goes to a bar to follow it, but circumstances dictate that the young man is going to be spending more time at home than he planed on this season, so he is weighing the PS3 Sunday Ticket option.

Technically it will be impressive if it works as advertised.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    My dad goes the MLB route on his laptop with a shared 5mbit connection and it works just fine.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Black Hawk wrote:
    My dad goes the MLB route on his laptop with a shared 5mbit connection and it works just fine.

Countless friends of mine have the MLB package on their PS3 as well. HD feeds are near perfect and the menu system is swank. Choosing between games is almost criminally easy, with constant updates, news, etc. on other games going on at the same time as the one you're watching.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Countless friends of mine have the MLB package on their PS3 as well. HD feeds are near perfect and the menu system is swank. Choosing between games is almost criminally easy, with constant updates, news, etc. on other games going on at the same time as the one you're watching.

Is it as good as broadcast HD picture quality?
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I would say to go for it, the quality can sometimes fluctuate, but it is mostly crystal clear HD, if my experience using MLB streaming is any indication. I also use ESPN3 to watch college sports on a regular basis, and while its quality can suffer from time to time, its usually good enough to get 720p.

But seriously? The Panthers? Cam Newton? REALLY? I'm a Yuccaneers fan for NFL ball, but that is because they were the nearest team to me growing up (before Jacksonville). How did he not turn out a Ravens fan? I am stumped.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I haven't got the sports packages, but VUDU (1080p), Netflix, and Hulu look spectacular streaming on our PS3 with a FIOS connection. I think it will be good.