How much could I get for

SlickSlick Upstate New York
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I am thinking of selling my server computer. I will just pop windows 98 on the harddrive and it will be good to go. How much do you think I could sell this machine to a NOVICE/INEXPERIENCED computer user ;).

500MHz AMD k2-6 processor
256 sdram
2 port usb card
10/100 nic
56k modem
plus a mouse, moniter, surge protector, and keyboard

I could also pop a 60 gig harddrive in it if it will jump the price, but it would probably be worth more if sold seprately.

Comments

• NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited June 2003
    I's say 100$ and charge 50$ more for the HDD.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Oh you could get more for it than that. Esp for someone that doesnt know much.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    What size monitor? I would go for about $250 for all of it.
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    It is an old ghetto 15 inch moniter.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    If you don't include the 60GB HD, what will you be popping W98 onto?

Prof
    edited June 2003
    I don't even think I am going to sell it. I get to much use out of it.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    you could always set it up as a print server or something like that. Or just trash it.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    I would guess you could get $200 for it. It probably depends what it physically looks like, so I would clean it up as best i could before i sold it.

~dodo
  • OldDogOldDog Whittier,Ca.
    edited June 2003
    Keep it, mod it, because you won't get anything for it anyway!
    nowdays you can buy a cheapass computer at Fry's with a faster
    processor for $200, and 15 in. monitors are worthless. I have
    several of them that all work fine and I got them for free! So the
    best bet is break out the dremmel and have some fun. Then post
    some pics.
    edited June 2003
    I do plan on keeping it and using it for various server activities. I was referring to selling to some computer newb though who doesnt know anything. Not one of you guys who could build the equivilant for like 50 bucks.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    personally...i dont think anyone would want that computer...lets face it...in the days where 3ghz r available...why would u want sumthing that 500mhz....i mean i cannot think of anyone (with the excepion of old grandmothers) who would want sumthing that slow
    edited June 2003
    Some of you guys just don't see the point. NOOBS DONT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 500 MHZ AND 3000 MHZ.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Not worth it. Just stay with it and experiment with Linux or something.
    edited June 2003
    What this computer would be worth to a non-technical person would be much more than it would be worth to someone comfortable with building and repairing computers themselves.

I first got interested in repairing computers about seven years ago when I was a building engineer. One of my buildings had a big law firm which bought all brand new computers. They sold all of the old computers which worked 100%, and tossed any which had a problem in the trash.

For the next few days I went home with a carload of parts. I spent my evenings messing around until I had built one fully functional computer (they were mostly 486's, with the occasional Pentium thrown in to make it interesting). I then used that as a tester for the other parts. By the time I was done I had about a dozen good computers, which I mostly gave away.

The point is, the law firm considered this stuff to be worthless - since they didn't know how to fix them themselves and didn't want to mess with having them repaired. A little know-how turned this "trash" into something valuable. (A 486 in 1996 was still worth a few bucks). There are lots of people who would like a spare computer for their kid to do homework on who would gladly pay a couple hundred bucks for it.

Don't ignore the value of your own expertise!:cool:

Prof
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2003
    Or build it the way you would have to off-load it on a newbie, then take it down to a local youth centre or seniors centre or homeless centre and DONATE it in exchange for a tax receipt of $400. Then you will be rid of it, you will have a tax receipt you can deduct off your income taxes, and some organization that could use another computer to let someone else learn on gets a decent enough computer to let them connect to the Net and hunt for a job or send e-mail to their grandkids.

Dexter...
    edited June 2003
    Great idea, Dexter!:cool:

Prof

PS: If you haven't done so already, please give us your input in the “This Weeks Utilities Discussion” thread under General Software!!!:nudge:
    edited June 2003
    No income tax. I am 16 and am having a hell of a time finding a job around here. Thats why I was thinking about selling it in the first place, money.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    Seriously, i would try the classified ads, it seems there are a good number of overpriced old worthless computers there each week around here. You might find someone stupid to buy it at $300, maybe. You start trying to get $500 and people would rather go and buy one from walmart or some other cheap place new.

~dodo
  • oddharmonicoddharmonic Dallas, TX
    edited June 2003
    I'd take it off your hands for around $200 -- it's a heck of a lot better than what my mother-in-law has now (a 200 or 233 MHz Packard Bell) and it sure would make her day since she's still jealous that I "upgraded" (haha, installed SpyBot and some RAM) my parents' box when we were home on vacation last month.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You shouldn't try to foist it off dishonestly. Don't try to screw someone in to paying more than it's worth...
    edited June 2003
    Why not? I have values, that just isnt one of them. Besides, I already said I was not going to sell it. It has to many server uses already that I wouldn't be able to host anymore.