Best deal on Netbooks

edited September 2011 in Trading Post
Hi, i am a student in college and was looking for what you guys think is the best deal on a netbook. Budget is at most $350, i really will only need it for documents and internet use.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    If you will be writing documents, why don't you go for something with a real screen, not one of those cursed tiny netbooks. OK, yeah, I know I'm quite a bit older than you, but I know college. When you are tired, are way behind in your sleep, and are working late at night on homework or a project, a tiny screen will just make everything worse, IMO.

You might want to take a look at used laptops on Craigslist, something with a better monitor. If your goal is portability, well, then I can understand your desire for a netbook. But then, some of the 15" laptops are quite thin and light weight.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Thrax linked the current eeePc in a previous thread:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759525-REG/ASUS_1215B_MU17_BK_Eee_PC_1215B_MU17_12_1_.html

Add some more RAM and you're looking pretty good. Also, if you're seriously going to use this as your only PC at college, bring an old monitor and USB keyboard/mouse from home with you. You can get old CRTs for free on Craigslist and the local Goodwill has decent keyboards and mice for <$20 total. Set up the desktop stuff in your dorm and jack your netbook into it when you need to do homework.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Also, if you're seriously going to use this as your only PC at college, bring an old monitor and USB keyboard/mouse from home with you.
    Yup, probably even better than my suggestion. You know, if my eyes were a couple decades younger, I admit, the netbooks would seem more attractive to me. I just despise small screens. To me, it just seems a huge step backwards.

That Asus that Thrax linked has a decent GPU/APU. It should be more than sufficient for a medium monitor displaying Internet pages and office applications.
  • edited September 2011
    I have a laptop that is fine, and dual monitors.. so its really only for taking notes and stuff, i couldn't use a netbook all the time, it'd strain my eyes way to much. I really am looking into one only because of the cost and the portable size. something that i can easily fit in my backpack and whip out. thanks for the link drasnor
This discussion has been closed.