Kerbal Space Program

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Welp... designed a couple rockets that I got safely into orbit (and back again). Designed a couple absurd ones that blew up. Now I'm bored with this game.

* ardichoke ADDs off

Try putting payloads into orbit and getting home without disturbing them. I can do one, trying to find a way to do 3.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Next I will try to get them back down on target... Then I'll work on the orbit part. But it is SO fun to get that baby going as fast as possible and hit that point where it doesn't slow down. Maybe 8000 m/s constant will be my next task.
    edited July 2011
    Heh - yeah. So what's the fastest anyone's crossed the 4.5-5M threshold at? With the original parts, of course, not with the cheater fuel tanks, tall solid boosters, etc.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I am terrible at steering the rocket. I can go straight up, but orbit is a bitch.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I am terrible at steering the rocket.
    edited July 2011
    I am terrible at steering the rocket.

So was I. You need a more stable rocket. Think of the horizontal plane as a 2D wheelbase. I found that it gets more stable as you distribute power over a greater area.

Some rockets I've built were strong enough to get off the pad with the liquid engines at 30%. Anything more and the rocket wouldn't be steerable at all, it'd wander as soon as I took the SAS off. Too much power in a given area, given the relative height of the rocket.

Basically, a 1-meter (one engine) area where power is applied works fine for a 1-liquid rocket (maybe 3 meters tall) A 10-meter tall rocket with one engine is more difficult, but a 10-meter tall rocket with 10 engines seems to be easier to control, as long as you throttle them back.

Ans as usual, symmetry is your friend. Don't trust your eyes. One booster that's slightly taller than the others can build a different pressure area on that side of the rocket when it's pushing on the pressure areas of the liquids next to it. It'll tip you or spin the rocket easily.
    edited July 2011
    I've never played KSP. I was just going for the innuendo.
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I've never played KSP. I was just going for the innuendo.

Your mom was going for my innuendo last night.
    edited July 2011
    A short story, then?
    edited July 2011
    lol

kind of an anthology ;)
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Ans as usual, symmetry is your friend. Don't trust your eyes. One booster that's slightly taller than the others can build a different pressure area on that side of the rocket when it's pushing on the pressure areas of the liquids next to it. It'll tip you or spin the rocket easily.

Symmetry is not my friend. If I arrange 8 SRBs around the base for initial launch, all lined up perfectly with symmetry, the dang thing still spins like crazy as soon as I take off. (The big SRBs from the mod pack are even worse; they smash against everything due to lack of bracing AND spin it.) Do the wings do anything at all? :/
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Heh - yeah. So what's the fastest anyone's crossed the 4.5-5M threshold at? With the original parts, of course, not with the cheater fuel tanks, tall solid boosters, etc.

First attempt: 6 stage rocket!
    4.5Mm in 17:48, 7636 m/s
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    RootWyrm wrote:
    Symmetry is not my friend. If I arrange 8 SRBs around the base for initial launch, all lined up perfectly with symmetry, the dang thing still spins like crazy as soon as I take off. (The big SRBs from the mod pack are even worse; they smash against everything due to lack of bracing AND spin it.) Do the wings do anything at all? :/

From my experience, the wings make it spin like crazy and that's all they do.
    edited July 2011
    SRS modules are more effective at stability than wings. I think one of my bigger rockets had something like 12 of them. (they would be jettisoned off as they became redundant - no need to carry 12 into your last stage)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Wings have helped a few rockets.... specially when the rocket is tall and top heavy.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Every rocket I've put wings on has been terribly hard to control, even with lots of stabilizers. As soon as I dropped the wings off them, they'd fly nice and straight and under control.
    edited August 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Every rocket I've put wings on has been terribly hard to control, even with lots of stabilizers. As soon as I dropped the wings off them, they'd fly nice and straight and under control.
    Yep, me too.
    edited September 2011
    Version 10.0 just came out!
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Goddammit - this game directly contributes to less "Prag in bed in boxers" time - asshats.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Jimmysaddictinggames.blogspot.com
    edited September 2011
    They deleted all the default controls though, loading the new version, you have to go set all your keyboard controls.
    edited September 2011
    <iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VcHaDCPH9UQ&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Holy crap, dude. Nice work!
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    O.o

A winnar is CannonFodder!
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    My multi stage rockets just overheat and explode if I use any solid boosters :/
    edited September 2011
    Can you post a picture of what you're trying to make?
    edited September 2011
    kerbal.png

Maybe I just have too many solid booster engines, but they overheat and explode before they use up their fuel, and there's no way to get them to detach until their fuel is used up because the force they give out is too much for the next stage's engines to overcome.

And thanks so much for the mod links, makes a big difference!
    edited September 2011
    What with the mod stuff, i'm having no problems now!
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    kerbal.png

Maybe I just have too many solid booster engines, but they overheat and explode before they use up their fuel, and there's no way to get them to detach until their fuel is used up because the force they give out is too much for the next stage's engines to overcome.

And thanks so much for the mod links, makes a big difference!

I'm not positive, but I don't see any radial decouplers between your solids, when you stick them directly together you usually get bad heat issues.
    edited September 2011
    Ah, ok! Thanks!