IC:MC 1.8 and Beyond

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Minecraft
I would like to hear your thoughts on how to handle the server through the current 1.8 update and in the future.

What I want in this thread:
  • Your opinion on how we should handle the new changes.
  • Ideas on incorporating the new changes on the current map.
  • Your thoughts on starting a new map at Gold or even now at 1.8
  • Positive thoughts on other members ideas "I like so&so's Idea"

What you will not post in this thread:
  • Negative thoughts on others ideas "So&so's idea won't work...blah"
  • Rants about nuking the server or not
  • Drama & Arguing
These items will be removed. If you really feel the need to express something on this list, send it to me in a PM.

So let me have it, What is your thoughts on the future of the ICMC Server?

-Digi

Comments

• MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited September 2011
    I don't see any reason not to merge the best of both worlds. Now, it has been a while since I've hopped on the server, so I understand if my opinion isn't as appreciated as those who around more often.

I don't have too much of a sense of what is possible with the community tools available, but why not retain certain key pieces of our world, in particular, IC Town, and map edit into a new map?

I think it would also be useful to have members chime in on which of their creations they would like retained. I would think that this would be a better option rather than inserting our entire current map into a new map only because, as a community, we have discovered and developed far and wide throughout the map - while we would have new features along with our old structures, a large amount of travelling would be required in order to find new objects.

I suppose this would also make it very difficult to migrate the current rail system.
  • edited September 2011
    I like the idea of a new map with creations from the old map edited into it, MCedit is powerful and easy to use. we could do something along the lines of an old IC town with an area to build New IC town next to it and combine the two eventually. It would be simplified with the new plains biome which is large and flat and could be accommodating since little work would need to be done to get it looking natural.

I certainly have a creation I'm working on that I would really love to migrated if we started new and I know others do as well. Moving bases would be a tough one though as most are expansive and in least part underground, we could do something like an ark for everyone. You get 1 or 2 double chests to take with you what you want to the new world and that is it. So it's not starting from scratch but you would still need to explore for a new site to build a base.

Even with the new spawn being worked on now, most of the land around that has already been generated and won't have any of the new features of 1.8. Odd things are going to happen butting the new terrain against the old. I've seen the default ocean level has changed and I don't know how it would handle stronghold generation which are probably going to become important in the future updates.

Another option would be to go multi-world. There have been successful plugins in the past and I'm sure they will update for 1.8 to allow for using portals to go from old world to new.

At the very least we should wait for 1.9 since (baring any patches) snow biomes are absent in 1.8 so far.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I propose moving spawn very far away and starting a new but in the same map. So if we want we can still make a portal and go back to our old stuff. That is my first choice but I am not totally against just starting a enitire new . If there is a way to save our famous landmarks that would be great but again I have a feeling that would be to difficult to do. But if its not maybe everyone that plays could pick one building to move. idk just a thought. Regaurdless I am pumped for the game to be finally completed so minecraft will have an objective now.
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Another option would be to go multi-world. There have been successful plugins in the past and I'm sure they will update for 1.8 to allow for using portals to go from old world to new.

This.

If this solution is tested and found to be reliable, I'm 100% for this option. I want to keep all my hard work on the server, as I'm sure everyone else does, but in seeing what 1.8 has to offer, I totally understand the want to start fresh, and I'm really torn between the two. I think the multi-world option would be a fantastic solution. That said, I don't think we should institute any changes until the update that brings us out of Beta. At that point, I'll be more than happy with whatever we decide as a community. :rockon:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I like the Ark idea. In my head, we actually build a literal ark on the coast somewhere in our current world, we all get a small room on it, in order to store things, then when the game goes gold in November, a new world is spawned (or a spot far away in the current world), and the ark is moved via map editor to a spot on a coast in the new map, becoming our landing point in the new world, with all out stuff on it. That way, migrating to a "new World" would be more literal, and it would be , in itself a community building project.

If we really want the ability to return to the old world, the teleporter could be in the bottom of the ship, so it's like taking a quick voyage across the ocean.

A plan like that would totally get me back on the server to help build the ark and then to help explore and found the new world.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I would mostly just like to see the town and some of the surrounding area cut and pasted into a new world. If people want specific projects moved also and we can do that I think we should but no matter what I think we need a fresh map to be able to find many new things.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited September 2011
    I like the idea of an ark. I would like to see a new pure world that we 1.7'ers land in, rather than going through the mess of moving town and other structures. The houses in town are 11x11, it just seems silly to move something that small.
    I'm all for people taking and moving their houses onto the ark. I vote the ark be the ship pictured below, as it is not only larger than IC town, it also displaces close to 40,000 blocks, making it far larger than any ark we could build in a few days.
    Also this ship is already built, thus bypassing the usual large project 'stall' that seems to happen. (it also has beds for literally anyone that wants one)
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    edited September 2011
    I like the world portal idea the best if that's possible. It could even be merged together with the ark idea, and 2 arks could be made - 1 on the current world, and 1 on the fresh, new, 1.8 world, each containing the world-to-world portal and act as our waypoint.

Otherwise, I'd have to say my favorite option would be to poof a new spawn somewhere way the hell away (something like -20,000 , 10,000) so that people who want a new world have a brand spankin' new untainted area, players who want to continue using the old land have that option, and those who are so inclined could even eventually connect the two using some nether railroad magic.
    edited September 2011
    CB wrote:
    I like the Ark idea. In my head, we actually build a literal ark on the coast somewhere in our current world, we all get a small room on it, in order to store things, then when the game goes gold in November, a new world is spawned (or a spot far away in the current world), and the ark is moved via map editor to a spot on a coast in the new map, becoming our landing point in the new world, with all out stuff on it. That way, migrating to a "new World" would be more literal, and it would be , in itself a community building project.

If we really want the ability to return to the old world, the teleporter could be in the bottom of the ship, so it's like taking a quick voyage across the ocean.

A plan like that would totally get me back on the server to help build the ark and then to help explore and found the new world.

Excellent idea if possible!!! I am all for this!
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited September 2011
    In my ideal incarnation of a 1.8 and beyond world. We would create a home in an NPC city and expand in that manner. My minds eye sees this game played more like Dungeons and Dragons or som oher spelunking style game that allows you to mold the world via building rather than a lego world with small secrets hidden within.

Edit: Updated concept:

The Adventure Map
    A brand new map with the following rule: towns cannot be built... In order to build a town/city/etc you must find an existing NPC village and expand from it... They are the baseline for our entire world. Bonus points for uniform architecture with the preexisting buildings.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited September 2011
    Gorzo wrote:
    Otherwise, I'd have to say my favorite option would be to poof a new spawn somewhere way the hell away (something like -20,000 , 10,000) so that people who want a new world have a brand spankin' new untainted area, players who want to continue using the old land have that option, and those who are so inclined could even eventually connect the two using some nether railroad magic.

I hate you gorzo :rarr:
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I like most of the ideas being tossed around here. I'd definitely play by Spencer's suggestion of staying constrained to an NPC village. We would have to expand out naturally. It would give us a more "realistic" approach, and hopefully it would prevent some of the outrageous things that everyone does on their own. The disconnect by distance and self-created segregation kind of bummed me out on our current server - you never get to see the creations of others if you don't take a 10 minute long train ride. This idea would hopefully keep us together a little better.

The ark idea is cool, too. I've seen what 1.8 has, and I definitely want us all to play with those new elements. I think it could revitalize the game in this community. We obviously don't want to lose our hard work thus far (that effing Fluttershy took WAY too long to toss ;) ) so using a far off warp point with sensible travel time to our old stuff would be sweet.

Either that, or new server with a map edit to bring in most of our old stuff.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    If a new server is started, with limited transition, id play this game again, especially if there weren't space dicks being built.
    edited September 2011
    If a new server is started, with limited transition, id play this game again, especially if there weren't space dicks being built.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    +1
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I'm usually not one for censoring creativity, but, honestly, I would be is support of a 'no dicks' policy this time. Of course, there will always be towers, and towers will always be a little phallic. Nothing can be done about that, but an informal community policy not to build anything with the express purpose of making a penis would be nice.

Whatever we do, I think we should wait for after final commercial release. It's only a couple months away, and who knows what other cool stuff might be available then, which we would miss out on. I'm patient enough to wait.

Of course, if we want to build an ark or something, we could get started on it whenever.
    edited September 2011
    I will say this, and I will also say that I'm not 100% certain about it:

I don't think simply moving spawn will work, and that is only because I'm fairly certain that strongholds and mineshafts are "created" upon world generation, not chunk generation.
    edited September 2011

For all of you folks that haven't played in awhile "Space Dicks" have been outlawed. just an FYI.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Just to clarify there has been a PG-13 rule for structures. This will continue on to the new server.

All this feedback is great. Keep it coming. Those of you that may see others on the server that don't come on the forum much, if you could kindly suggest they stop by and share their thoughts, that would be great. Thanks.

-Digi
    edited September 2011
    Someone I was talking to about MC really hit the nail on the head with my impressions of how this game has evolved(i said this also but they said it completely independant of me) :
    this is no longer as much a marvels of engineering legos game... its an adventure game with buildings to supplement the experience

I think that people experiencing burnout will also be more enticed to try this game from the new perspective
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, I keep saying that with what we've seen in 1.8, this update (or furthermore, the full release) has enough meat and potatoes to bring players back to it. And I want that. Badly. I really miss all the fun we used to have playing this game together.

Also, ++++1 on no more dicks
  • edited September 2011
    Malpercio wrote:

I don't think simply moving spawn will work, and that is only because I'm fairly certain that strongholds and mineshafts are "created" upon world generation, not chunk generation.

Playing around with 1.8 so far it seems that way with strongholds, here is the console when spawning a brand new world.

aXOCYl.jpg

It seems to place 2 strongholds, the 3rd however is either missing or spawns with chunks. The mineshafts I think though are spawned with chunks.

I now feel compelled to test this with the latest saved version of the map
    edited September 2011
    Malpercio wrote:

I wouldn't count on that. I don't see how generating strongholds and such at world creation would function properly. I can't imagine Mojang developing the game so that resources are spent and wasted at game creation with mineshafts and stuff being created, and just sitting there waiting to be discovered by a chunk update.

The mineshafts and such are big, but they're not massive. They're only big enough to fit into a new chunk. It would make sense that their creation is dictated by chunk generation.
    edited September 2011
    Those two strongholds listed in the console are at coordinates close enough to be within the same chunk, though.
  • edited September 2011
    I think those are chunk coordinates rather then typical, but I have yet confirm that
    edit: Those are chunk coordinates

It's going to be something strange since the spawn rate is capped at 3 per map. It seems silly since that would mean out of all the people who visit the server only 3 will be able to find the prize that will eventually be in the strongholds.

However I have found mine shafts do generate in new chunks, even right next to old chunks. It will leave us with land looking like this though :| XzaPBl.jpg

And the water borders look like this

pMl7ul.jpg
    edited September 2011
    I'm pretty sure I have got a plan that should make everyone happy and it does not involve using our current map and moving spawn. The last few posts here are non-issues.

Let's get back on track. Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

-Digi
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    You're all just jelly of my mad dick-making skills.
    edited September 2011
    Cola was making Minecraft dicks before it was cool.
    edited September 2011
    He has the Grandfather Cock

Sorry it was just too good

-Digi
    edited September 2011
    Thank you for the research, CaptainMoustache. Even if it isn't terribly relevant to this thread, it was at least some very interesting information!