The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword art, screenshots, and videos

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I do believe Link was right-handed in Twilight Princess, they did that to accommodate the majority of Wii users that would be right-handed.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    This is the only console exclusive I care about right now.
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Yup cola's right. As a lefty I was looking forward to playing Zelda on Wii. It's too bad they dont't give the player an option.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    He was right handed in Twilight Princess on the Wii, but was left handed in the Gamecube version. To make everything consistent, the whole world was mirrored. That's probably why they don't offer a left handed mode.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Day one purchase, brothers.
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited October 2011
    I am incredibly excited about this game. November needs to be here sooner.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Is it wrong that the part that excites me most about this game is that "watercolor" art style?
    edited October 2011
    Bandrik wrote:
    Is it wrong that the part that excites me most about this game is that "watercolor" art style?

yes.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I haven't played a Zelda game since OOT. I would enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'd be big on motion controls.
    edited October 2011
    The Zelda franchise is the ideal place for motion controls. Showds and Bows are the most fun part of Sports Resort, and in Skyward Sword, there is a lot of swording and bowing, and there's a plot and cool scenery to go along with it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    You're missing out, Dustin. Windwaker was one of my favorite Zelda games. Majora's Mask was wildly different and very cool. The DS games were also really cool (the Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks). I'm playing Twilight Princess right now (never really started it properly, even though I've had it for years) and the art style is so completely weird and twisted, I'm really starting to enjoy it (although it's the least Zelda-feeling Zelda game in the franchise, IMO).
  • JH
    edited October 2011
    You'd think that an "unabashed Zelda fanboy" would know that the Wii version has a right handed link. Plus it would be strange controlling the characters left had with your right with the 1:1 motion controls. Wonder if there is a left handed option?
    edited October 2011
    JH wrote:
    You'd think that an "unabashed Zelda fanboy" would know that the Wii version has a right handed link.

Perhaps primesuspect played the Gamecube version, thus still sating his inner Zelda fanboy while missing the right-handed link debacle?

Also, for the record, I have the fondest memories of Link's Awakening on the Game Boy. I <3 the hell out of Link to the Past on SNES, and Ocarina of Time on the N64 was the first time I really felt a sense of "immersion" in a video game. But when I played Awakening as a kid, between the bittersweet story and the Mario-themed references (goombas, chain chomps, Yoshi, etc), it was a wild trip of a game, never to be forgotten.
    edited October 2011
    (I wrote the article)
    edited October 2011
    I just started Twilight Princess up a week ago. Yes, I'm that late to the game. Missed the fact that he is indeed right handed in the Wii version of TP as well. Weird.
    edited October 2011
    (I wrote the article)

(...derp...)

Also, I too have yet to play Twilight Princess, yet I've had it since it released. There was just something about the motion controls that just put me off. I've been meaning to give it a shot anyways... but I keep desiring to just pick up the Gamecube version and play it the old-fashioned way, without any of these silly damned new-fangled motion controls.
    edited October 2011
    The motion controls are so minimal: flick the wrist to sword. That's it.

The Wiimote aiming for boomerang, slingshot, and bow? WAY, WAY better than analog sticks. WAY better.

Bandrik: Play the game, it's freaking awesome. I'm loving it, and am sad that I've put it off for so long.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, to anyone who hasn't already, play Twilight Princess, it's worth it.
    edited October 2011
    I've never been particularly fond of motion controls in games. At least not yet. I've never struggled with controls in Zelda, especially OOT.

I think it's likely just a "not enough practice" thing. I've generally disliked any of the motion control options with other games for the Wii as well (ground slam [DK] and butt stomp[SMB]). I would be much more likely to play if the game offered the ability to use a normal controller. Does it have this?
    edited October 2011
    Nope. You have to flick the wrist to swing the sword.
    edited October 2011
    Bandrik: Play the game, it's freaking awesome. I'm loving it, and am sad that I've put it off for so long.

Haha, okay, okay. I'll give the motion controls a more serious try. I suppose I'll have to get used to them anyways with Skyward Sword coming soon.
    edited October 2011
    Nope. You have to flick the wrist to swing the sword.

That's disappointing for me. I guess I'll give it a shot, but I have low expectations as to responsiveness.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I've always like to think that the Wii version was the mirrored version of TP. The game was originally designed for Gamecube after all and just ported to Wii so that it would have a stronger launch line up.
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited October 2011
    Yes, I'd definitely say that to enjoy the "true" TP experience, you should play the GCN version. That said, I have played both versions of the game.
    edited October 2011
    The graphics on the Wii version are stellar and the Wiimote pointing, as I stated previously, is a killer app for bow, boomerang, and slingshot.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Hopefully picking up the upgrade materials isn't like picking up the Skull or Butterfly charms in Windwaker were Link got excited and then we had a text screen every time we picked one up even if we picked up 50 before that.
    edited October 2011
    Yeah I was thinking that too, but the precedent from that and from Spirit Tracks (it behaved the same way) is there. OOOH, YOU FOUND A SKULL. IT'S EXACTLY LIKE THE OTHER 120 YOU FOUND. WHAT A DAY!
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, that does drive me nuts. I miss the older days, where you were expected to RTFM or just figure it out yourself. Link used to open the chest instantly (no animation), and just played a little 1-second ditty of a melody, and held it above his head for a moment. If there was text, it was 1-2 paragraphs MAX.

Why can't they have an "I know what the hell I'm doing" mode?
    edited October 2011
    Updated with info from new press release this morning
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    David, of all the 3D titles, the Wind Waker is actually my favorite. I played both on the N64, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Wind Waker had my favorite story and art style of all the games, also some of the best puzzles in the history of the franchise. My only gripe is the length of travel, the sailing portions that start off being really exciting get boring after a while, but the action sequences, the puzzles, the art, the story. I'm not sure why it did not go over better than it did.