Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• FreshyPFreshyP Don Cheadle Cyberspace Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Dude, you tell 'em Bobby. I was having this issue in school where everybody thought I was really weird, until, they actually got into the show. And It took a while, but I got my best friend into the show too.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'm Bobby's muse! I suddenly feel like an inspiration.

The Iron Giant, absolutely love it, a modern classic. Powerpuff Girls, I found that to be innovative when it came out, I've seen a number of those and while it's not so much for me, I will say I can see where you are coming from in regards to traditional gender roles, the style of animation, the short form story telling and such.

I appreciate you going into such detail to educate me. Honestly, I had no idea 4Chan started this. I had no idea how pervasive its become across the internet. I just assumed it was an Icrontic inside joke that I was not understanding.

That said, I'll record a couple on HUB and watch with my daughter. I did not know much about Lauren Faust until now, but looking at her back catalog of work I've enjoyed various things she has been associated with.

Thanks again for the explanation!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    No problem Cliff. It had to be said, really. I get that question all the time, and I can't blame people for asking. I mean, I have the DVD collection of a 5 year old, so people aren't surprised when I get into animated films or shows. But MLP has become a phenomenon, and it confuses a lot of people. BobbyDigi was the same way in our Images of overloads of ponies thread - once he realized we weren't sitting around watching the show from the 80's, a lightbulb went off in his head.

I didn't get it, either. I frequent 4Chan /co/ (Comics and Cartoons) because it's worksafe and less suck than the rest of 4chan. In December, they started talking about MLP, and I thought it was trolls trolling trolls. I stuck around enough threads to finally work up the curiosity to watch a few episodes and became hooked. So did quite a few IC members, because once Cola started that thread, everyone came out of the woodwork to talk about ponies. It's just one of those things.

FreshyP wrote:
    Dude, you tell 'em Bobby. I was having this issue in school where everybody thought I was really weird, until, they actually got into the show. And It took a while, but I got my best friend into the show too.

Yeah, it toally sucks like that at first. It's too taboo in modern culture for dudes to like cartoons, and it's even worse when that cartoon is percieved to be made for girls. I still have to explain it to many who think its weird, but I've gotten to a point where I don't really care anymore.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    My little Brony, my little Brony, ahhhh~hhhhh!
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I disagree, Twilight Sparkle is best pony.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I enjoy the MLP showing that you do Bobby. I also enjoy sharing my KPOP knowledge to you XD
  • edited October 2011
    I believe you mean "Rarity is best pony".
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I pounded a thousand goddamned nails in my lifetime, nobody's ever called me a carpenter. You watch ONE episode of My Little Pony, and...
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Everything that's happened here because of MLP:FiM pleases me greatly. I'm so proud of you all. Also, directly to Cliff, I've read from Lauren Faust herself that one of the things she's happiest about with this series is how fathers enjoy watching this show with their daughters. I hope you do this and have friendship is bonding time with your daughter, it's really pretty entertaining.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    My first impression of MLP was that it was a lot like Powerpuff Girls, a show I love. Which, of course, explains why I love MLP, too. I never discovered the link until many months later.
  • edited October 2011
    Rainbow Dash is best pony. True facts.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I pounded a thousand goddamned nails in my lifetime, nobody's ever called me a carpenter. You watch ONE episode of My Little Pony, and...
    I'm sold. A convert.
    I actually got goosebumps when Rainbow Dash pulled off the Sonic Rainboom... What is this I don't even
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Sorry, spoiler
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    spoiler alert.

snape kills dumbledore.
  • MezzanineMezzanine Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I just have to say, I get the whole community thing, but as someone who actually grew up on the original MLP, it was far from a bunch of fucking hair-brushing. Overly cute this:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6cXAUjqaRM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6cXAUjqaRM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

See 1 minute in for nightmares.
    Also, see this cracked.com article

I'm glad you took the time to explain the bro-ny thing for people who don't get it, but don't dismiss the badassery of the original series.
  • edited October 2011
    "Rainbow Dash is best pony"

[](/thatsnothowyouspellpinkiepie "Oh hi, Reddit!")
  • PinkInDetroitPinkInDetroit Brian's (actual) Waifu Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    OHHHhhhHHHh. This is why grown ass men like MLP. I thought it was all about DAT FLANK.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Pinkie Pie is the best pony*
  • edited October 2011
    Frankly, I find it flat-out wrong to say that the show isn't for little girls. It was designed to be enjoyed by everyone else as well, but I think it's pretty damn important to make the distinction. Faust's attempt to produce good and substantive entertainment for little girls is a huge part of the show's identity. The feminist intent behind it is obvious and undeniable. The show is, first and foremost, for little girls. It's more than a little disingenuous of the grown-up fans to hijack it for ourselves, simply because we're the most visible section of the viewership.
  • edited October 2011
    You are all wrong. Luna is best pony. Fuckin' deal.
  • edited October 2011
    'Rainbow Dash'? Silly Bobby, that's not how you spell Pinkie Pie.
  • edited October 2011
    Don't be silly, the best pony is obviously fluttershy.
  • Dak
    edited October 2011
    I think this article is incredibly un-informed... FLUTTERSHY is clearly the best pony.

In all seriousness, great article. Its very concise without being cluttered or unfocused :)
  • edited October 2011
    NO! Gummy is best pony :P
  • edited October 2011
    You said you stayed away from fanfics. One fanfic you should *definitely* read is Fallout: Equestria.

Trust me, you won't regret it.
    edited October 2011
    OHHHhhhHHHh. This is why grown ass men like MLP. I thought it was all about DAT FLANK.

dat-flank-png.8670
  • edited October 2011
    Spike is the best pony.
    Now answer this Mr.Miller.

Why will i get brutally beaten to death for insulting a pink and yellow animated drawing? (Fluttershy)

It's just a fictional drawing, Seriously.
  • edited October 2011
    Great write-up. I'm glad Equestria Daily sent me over here. If any y'all want to know more about MLP:FiM, read about it here: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic#.To3p-85mL80

Also, not to be that guy, but Hasbro didn't start The Hub early this year; The Hub will be celebrating its first year on the 10th. Sooo, might want to fix that. And Rarity is best Pony.
    edited October 2011
    Spike is the best pony.
    Now answer this Mr.Miller.

Why will i get brutally beaten to death for insulting a pink and yellow animated drawing? (Fluttershy)

It's just a fictional drawing, Seriously.

Because you don't mess with Fluttershy. Real talk. Ya gotta be aware of the risks.
    Also, not to be that guy, but Hasbro didn't start The Hub early this year; The Hub will be celebrating its first year on the 10th. Sooo, might want to fix that. And Rarity is best Pony.

That's a good point, I'll make that tweak. Thanks!
  • edited October 2011
    This article is complete bias.

We all know that Fluttershy is the best pony.