Recommend a camera

djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Lifestyle
I am working on upping my content curation game. I am in need of a DSLR with 720p video capabilities. I prefer to use Canon equipment. Is there any recommendations for something that cost less than $1000? I am not sure how the pricing of these cameras work at all. Also, is there better lenses you can get for doing video?

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Canon t3i, for filming I imagine you'd want something wide angle.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    t3i / t2i / 60d.

lens depends on exactly what you want to be filming...what are you interested in?
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Concerts, interviews and things like that. Definitely looking for a wide angle lens for that.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'm confused:

Canon T3i on <a href="http://www.adorama.com?kbid=64766">Adorama</a&gt; shows a lot of different models, with a significant price gap for the "USA" version. What's the difference?
    edited October 2011
    I know there is a t3 which is stripped down, lower ISO, fixed smaller screen, 720p video, 12mp. The body for the t3 is only like 350 bucks. t3i is the 18mp, 1080p video, fold out lcd view finder. The t3i body is around 800. I got confused by that when I was shopping a couple weeks ago.
    edited October 2011
    Actually the T3 sounds like it would suit me fine. What is ISO?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'd recommend getting a video camera for what you're doing. Shooting DSLR video is cool but the technology isn't to a point where the results outweigh the inherent difficulties it presents. a Panasonic HMC150 is what I use for professional work. We have a 5D Mk 2 but the issues with focus, rolling shutter, and sensor heat mean it get used for stills 99 percent of the time.

ooh, didn't see your budget limitation. I think you might still be able to find one used though.
    edited October 2011
    ISO is the camera sensors light sensitivity. The t3i goes to some wacky high ISO 12800 which you would never use.
    edited October 2011
    Eh, the T3 doesn't sound so hot for video. Read this review, specifically the "movie mode" section. Sounds very basic.
    edited October 2011
    Buddy J wrote:
    I'd recommend getting a video camera for what you're doing. Shooting DSLR video is cool but the technology isn't to a point where the results outweigh the inherent difficulties it presents. a Panasonic HMC150 is what I use for professional work. We have a 5D Mk 2 but the issues with focus, rolling shutter, and sensor heat mean it get used for stills 99 percent of the time.

ooh, didn't see your budget limitation. I think you might still be able to find one used though.
    The concern is that I can't get into photo areas at concerts with a video camera, I have to have a professional, still image camera. I have seen people in the photo pits with DSLRs that have concert audio recorders attached to them, so I figured that would be the best way to go. Also, I will be using it for photography as well, and most of the time when I'm shooting video it will be fixed on a tripod.
    edited October 2011
    For concert video you're going to need a hell of a lens and a high-end body.
    edited October 2011
    For concert video you're going to need a hell of a lens and a high-end body.

That's really not an option for me, I have budget restraints and I can't purchase separate devices for photo and video. We're not really supposed to film video inside the photo pit anyways, usually that's done on stage and you have to have permission. For concerts, if I'm taking video at all, it's going to be a panoramic shot from the back of the venue. I do this already with my point-and-shoot, but it has a 10 minute limit on video and doesn't work well in low-light situations. I'm making youtube videos here, not concert DVDs. A practical situation would be that I would snap photos in the pit during a concert, then mount the same device on a tripod and do an interview with that artist after the show. Feelin me here?
    edited October 2011
    I'm just saying: low-light is a major concern and definitely something you need to consider.
    edited October 2011
    It will be fine if it picks up light even just slightly better than my point and shoot.
    edited October 2011
    I can see your point though, Brian, where going with the T3i ovr the T3 would be a better idea considering i'm going to need all the ISO I can get.

any recs on a wide angle lens?
    edited October 2011
    Dont get hung up on the the ISO a camera can shoot at. The t3i is a very nice camera. I havent played much with the video on it, but I'll check it out this weekend and see how it looks with the bundled lens.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Go into a store and shoot some video with the camera that you are looking at. Most DSLRs produce very poor video, even while they give very good still shots.
    You might look at "micro four thirds" cameras, Sony NEX or Olympus PEN or Panasonic Lumix DMC. There are a bunch of models.
    Go to dpreview.com and search cameras/feature search and look at 'interchangeable lens/rangefinder style body'.
    edited October 2011
    Depending on the venue, a t3i with a sigma 30mm f/1.4 would probably do what you want.

If you want an ultrawide lens, the tamron 11-16 may be perfect for what you want.

I say buy the t3i with the kit 18-55 lens, and see what focal lengths you want, and decide if you want to buy a new lens as well.
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, what shwaiples said.
    edited October 2011
    Thanks, guys. :-)
  • HelenOsterHelenOster New York
    edited October 2011
    I'm confused:

Canon T3i on Adorama shows a lot of different models, with a significant price gap for the "USA" version. What's the difference?

If you'd like to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com, I'll be delighted to help with any questions you may have.
    edited October 2011
    Hi Helen. Thanks for reaching out :)
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited November 2011
    I was dissapointed when my D7000 had a video limit of 20 minutes. I believe the Canons are slightly higher than that, maybe 25.

Just something to keep in mind if you're going to use a DSLR for video work. It can be great, but the awesome stuff you see is on par (cost-wise) with The canon AH1 or similar when it's all said and done.

The D5100 would still be my suggestion if you can take the recording limit. Nikon also just came out with a 40mm lens that is really nice for the price. so you can snag all of that for under 1k, especially on the used market.

Here is some video shot on the D7000, stock mic, lens, etc. So everything you're seeing is right out of the camera.

Decent lighting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x0tFvJbp90

This was shot in black lights, granted, the projector was used so it helped.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcK7afpO3NQ
    edited November 2011
    Video limit is for two reasons: Maximum file size allowed on a fat32 cf card, and over 30 minutes requires a large increase in taxes in some european countries.