Random BSODs in Win2k

edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Recently I upgraded my comp and installed Win2k. Has been very stable except for a random BSOD every once in awhile but now they seem to occur a lot more often.

They seem to be pretty random, such as while playing games, but not in every game, and not every time I play a game that has BSOD'd before will it BSOD again. I have also gotten BSOD while just in IE or Kazaa.

When I get the BSOD the error seems to be a bit different everytime but it always says Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal and a filename (ntoskrnl.exe, tcpip.sys are some of the ones I remember)

I have downloaded all the latest Service Packs and updates etc...

Any Ideas?

Specs:
AXP 2500+
Asus A7V8X-X (KT400)
512MB PC2700
WD 60GB 7200RPM
Abit GF2MX400
SB Live!
ATI TV Wonder
350W PSU (Powmax I think)

I believe my bro has recently installed a Diamond 56K modem to do some faxing which may be contributing to the more recent surge in BSODs so I can check that out, but I was getting them before the modem as well. Any help would be much appreciated :D

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Go to www.memtest86.com

download the memtest boot disk maker

run it, and let it test your memory.

If your memory is 100% good, then report back in and we'll get to the bottom of it.
  • edited June 2003
    It passed all the default tests (1-7), I can run all the tests (1-11) if needed but I will do that overnight as it will take 5+ hours.

Oh and I didnt mention in my first post that nothing is overclocked and the ram settings are default etc...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Microsoft has this to say about your problem:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmd_stp_hwpg.asp

This was copied from the page:
    Resolving the Problem
    The following suggestions are specific to Stop 0xA errors. For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

Might narrow it down a little...

Prof
  • edited June 2003
    Thanks for the link, but it turns out I don't need it.

I'm not sure what I did or if it was something I did, but the problem seems to have gone away :) Have had an uptime of about 8 days now and no blue screen in sight.

Hopefully it stays that way *crosses fingers* :D