more details coming :rockon:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Sweet! This is gonna be a good build to watch :D
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Sweet! This is gonna be a good build to watch :D

it pretty much came down to asking myself, Do I want to spend $1500 on a 65" HDTV, or spend $1500 on a 100" projector project.

it might even be larger than 100"

inspirational picture

DSC02789-2500.jpg
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I've always shied away from projectors for a few reasons, but I'm wondering if they've been solved yet. Lamp cost was always a big one, as was positioning, cable routing, and housing with enough ventilation. The biggest one for me was I could never find one that could pump sufficient lumens to use it in anything but a pretty dark room with satisfactory results.

I'll be interested in your results. You better be getting a 4K projector. :p
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    If you are going to do it for a budget, darkening the room somehow is the only way. A good 4000+ lumen real 1080P projector fit for a 100"+ viewing experience is going to cost more than $1500 alone for daytime viewing in a lit room. Realistically, a good one will cost nearly double your whole budget, that light output is usually reserved for lower resolution projectors for conference rooms, for home theater its a bit of a niche thing. Investing in good room darkening thermal curtains might set you back a little, unless you have a basement to work with, but if you consider the cost of darkening the room, it's likely much less than the high output projector is, and the replacement bulbs are likely to cost less on projectors with a lower output.

I've helped a couple of family members install in basements where light was not an issue, and we used about a 1800 lumen 720P BenQ projector each time (each a few years ago). I have to say watching a movie that way is really impressive, there really is nothing like a giant projection screen with good surround sound components to complement, if you have the space and the budget to do it, it will be phenomenal.
    edited October 2011
    room is already dark with maroon curtains

projector I was looking at, won't be buying from newegg though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824157131

if you have recommendations for a 1080p projector let me know. I want this to be badass, and spending the $ will be worth it

LOL 4k Snark, maybe in 2020 when the rest of the world stops using 720/1080

also see this one, 4000 lumens for only a little more $

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116468

replacement bulb on the viewsonic is $399. but the bulb is rated 4000/5000 hours, or 2000/2500 movies, whichever comes first.
    edited October 2011
    Leaning towards the Epson Home Cinema 8350. After reading about 600 reviews, it seems to be the best at the price point (~$1100).

The topset ATSC/QAM tuner comes to $130

I have not decided on screen size, but most likely 100"-120". Yes, that would be a 10 foot screen.

The room I will be doing this in is 16'x12' Will try to take pics as I progress through
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    room is already dark with maroon curtains

projector I was looking at, won't be buying from newegg though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824157131

if you have recommendations for a 1080p projector let me know. I want this to be badass, and spending the $ will be worth it

LOL 4k Snark, maybe in 2020 when the rest of the world stops using 720/1080

also see this one, 4000 lumens for only a little more $

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116468

replacement bulb on the viewsonic is $399. but the bulb is rated 4000/5000 hours, or 2000/2500 movies, whichever comes first.

I like the second one because it's prettier...
    edited October 2011
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    I like the second one because it's prettier...

you don't look at the projector while watching a movie joe...
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    100ft Pixar films.

Keeping my eye on this thread.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    you don't look at the projector while watching a movie joe...

Well yea, but just the knowledge that it looks better helps with the whole theater experience... ;D
    edited October 2011
    - Epson Home Cinema 8350
    - 120" (yes, 10 fucking feet!!!)Fixed-Framed 1.2 Gain Matte White Screen
    - HDMI v1.4 Cable 35ft
    - Dust Cover
    - Universal Projector Mount
    - IR Repeater
    - Universal Remote
    - Disney HD WOW Calibration Disc

$1594

Biggest HDTV for that price, Mitsubishi 73" Projection HDTV

I am winner.

Pics as I get components and build
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Ooooo buddy. That sounds killer
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    2048 x 1080
    8000 - 25,000 ANSI Lumens
    Screen sizes up to 40-feet wide with no degradation of light output or resolution. :)

Runco SC-1 FTW
    edited October 2011
    troll wrote:
    2048 x 1080
    8000 - 25,000 ANSI Lumens
    Screen sizes up to 40-feet wide with no degradation of light output or resolution. :)

Runco SC-1 FTW

I'm going to guess $25k for that.

I know the badass JVC models are $10k+
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    I'm going to guess $25k for that.

x10 :eek3: (2006 they came out)

I have no idea who would even buy one of those, when you could probably get a Sony SRXR320P Theater Class 4K projector for less. The Sony home 4K version is $25k...

You sir, have a nice setup there and I was just having a little fun! :)
    edited November 2011
    got the framework for the screen up. Wanted something mobile.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=857&filename=491w.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=878&filename=oqtz.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
    edited November 2011
    I feel like I'm a kid waiting for the neighbors to fill up the swimming pool.

I'm so coming over!
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited November 2011
    I have that projector at the lounge. It does perform well in different lighting scenarios, and games/movies look great.

Why no Harmony remote?
    edited November 2011
    boasist wrote:
    I have that projector at the lounge. It does perform well in different lighting scenarios, and games/movies look great.

Why no Harmony remote?

um, I like having 7 remotes... :bigggrin:
    edited November 2011
    carpet and stand.

haven't gotten final dimensions for frame yet, why it is not "painted"

htproject2.jpg
    edited November 2011
    Also, I am still doing massive research on projectors and screens. Still undecided if I want a 3LCD or DLP projector, and whether to get a high gain white screen or a high contrast grey screen. I probably should get a ambient light reading sometime, although 90% of the time it will be evening/dark when I use the projector
    edited November 2011
    This is a personal preference, but I just think DLP looks more "natural". It's my preference, it's not as defined and edgy, it does not "pop" as much as a good 3LCD image, but to my eyes DLP just has a smoother, more film like quality to it. Both can look fantastic, I think its really a matter of personal taste, but if it were my money, I'd probably get a quality DLP projector.
    edited November 2011
    This is a personal preference, but I just think DLP looks more "natural". It's my preference, it's not as defined and edgy, it does not "pop" as much as a good 3LCD image, but to my eyes DLP just has a smoother, more film like quality to it. Both can look fantastic, I think its really a matter of personal taste, but if it were my money, I'd probably get a quality DLP projector.

I'm worried about the "rainbow effect" with the DLP. I understand 6 speed color wheels are better than 4, and that some people never see the rainbows
    edited November 2011
    I've only seen it when I get up and physically pan across the screen, and then it's fleeting, once I'm stationary again I don't see it. I many hours of DLP viewing it has not been anything of concern for me. Depending on the LCD and how far you sit you can get a bit of a "screen door" effect too. It's just one of those things, I just think we all see a little differently and it's all perception. Like I can't watch 3D for more than ten minutes at a time, I get a headache, I know folks that it does not bother at all. Its a shame they did away with tweeter stores, hard to go somewhere and really demo this stuff in person.
    edited November 2011
    We have a store in town that has a 135" screen and 5 different projectors on demo, I really should stop by.

3LCD has much better lense shift. DLP has more "pop". Decisions.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I have a 60" Mitsubishi that is DLP and I have never seen a rainbow effect. Though I think it has a 6 color wheel. Just some more user info on the subject I thought might be helpful.
    edited November 2011
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=610&filename=zkisl.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=875&filename=w7enf.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

no screen yet, just projected on wall
    edited December 2011
    So what are you doing as far as sound reinforcement goes? Those are the juicy bits I really want to hear about.
    edited December 2011
    Sonorous wrote:
    So what are you doing as far as sound reinforcement goes? Those are the juicy bits I really want to hear about.

er, sound reinforcement?

I just use my trusty 1000w Pioneer 5.1 home theater. It has Dolby Digital and DTS

I will upgrade it eventually, but sound is not a priority for me.
    edited December 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    but sound is not a priority for me.

WHAAAAAA????? :eek2::wtf::confused:

To each his own I guess, but I could never have a nice ass screen with out some nice ass speakers to go with it.