universal USB Mass Storage for win98 FOUND!

edited November 2011 in Hardware
hello everyone,
just letting you know that i have located a "universal" windows 98 USB flash driver. i had known about it for a while but i forgot which vivitar camera driver i had to download. its the vivicam 3615 (you can download the driver only).. this is the second one i found, as the name on this one is more generic than the first.
this one does work with USB HDDs (the first one i found didnt work with my 5gb trekstor i had at the time).
on this driver, fdisk does not work, it just quits with a beep, so you cant check your partitions. but it does load multiple drive letters if it has multiple FAT partitions (if there is a "blank" nonformatted partition, you cant format it). as you know already, NTFS partitions are not visible. my new 4gig usb stick doesnt work (Fat32), drive letter appears, crash on access.. it works with HDD drives that dont work with UBCD (where you get a bsod). it almost works for USB optical drives, icon appears, but not able to read (may go a little crashy), the device is not ready. crashes mentioned above are fixed by removing device.

test drives:
"maxtor" 320GB (1 ntfs only)
"astone" SATA w/2tb drive (many NTFS, 3x FAT32)
EZDUB IDE cdrom drive.
verbatim USB stick.

perhaps if you have the time and patience maybe you can locate the other one but you can post your success/failure/ideas on how to fix problems.

UBCD: may need kb/839210

Charlie.

Comments

• trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    :scratch: Um Why...
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    This could be relevant for :tim: maybe?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Pretty sure Tim is already putting this advice to work.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    C'mon now... :tim: only uses 3.1 for Workgroups.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Now if I someone can hook me up with an MS-DOS 6.22 universal flash drive driver, I'll be set.

Oh, and Apple ProDOS.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    MS-DOS 6.22 handles what is now considered legacy (MS-DOS) USB, with the usual limits of 2 GB VOLUME size as well as root directoriy for each partition limited to 255 entries of files and/or subdirectories (one of either per entry). You can, within these limits set BIOS on old mobo to USB support or a newer BIOS and mobo can be set to legacy USB support active and any old USB mass storage device that complies with MS-DOS 6.22 size limits will be seen and be usable. This is all from my old-man-of-the-sea memory and might have some error in it, so take it with a teaspoon of salt please.

Norton Disk Doctor of that era can fix overflowed root and partition tables and orphaned file fragment problems. UBCD might be able to fix these also.

PC-DOS also can fix some of these kinds of errors(PC-DOS is an IBM DOS OS). Ahhh for the old days, when fixing was simple if you knew some keystroked commands. Modern computers can be fixed with UBCD similarly to the old keystrokes if you dig into its keystroking.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Fine, but what about ProDOS?
  • edited November 2011
    whats with all the negative comments! did you know people were looking for this because they dislike needing a driver for every flash drive... in fact, (totally unrelated) i think i had some dos usb drivers somewhere...

by the way, the driver coming with the vivicam might be old so someone could perhaps modify the inf of a usb to ide controller driver to be like the vivicam and that could be more universal.

looks like someone did beat me, see "Generic Windows 98SE Mass Storage Drivers" from echnical-assistance.co.uk BUT i need to reboot the computer every time i plug in the 2Tb drive. otherwise code 22 and then 10 when you enable it, in device manager, because you need to reboot.. so mine is more comfortable. even if there is no add/rem dialog.

the "generic" driver screwed with the system now my original driver isnt working, just warning if anyone intends to test both.

cb
    edited November 2011
    Not negative comments, just that the amount of people using < WinXP on this site amounts to effectively zero. Your target audience is not us. In fact, your target audience worldwide is probably .01%, if that.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Actually, according to last years usage statistics: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Web_clients) roughly 4.21% of web clients use a version of Windows less than XP (sum the listed versions of Windows and subtract from the "All Versions" column).

Still, I doubt anyone here, not even :tim:, uses anything less than XP. So... yeah, what Kwitko said.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Jeez guys :shakehead

Charlieb000, thank you for posting. Despite what the negative nancies above you are saying, even if your post helps one frustrated IT guy at 3am on a Sunday, then you're a hero. Hell, I'm surprised at some of these posters because most of them ARE IT guys and I know that we've all been at that point some time in our career where we're like HOLY SHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE I NEED TO FIND A UNIVERSAL USB DRIVER FOR WINDOWS 98 IT'S 4AM ON CHRISTMAS EVE FML.

My point is: Thank you.
  • edited November 2011
    Why do I feel like I just stepped out of a time machine and am now stuck in the past??
    edited November 2011
    areamike wrote:
    Why do I feel like I just stepped out of a time machine and am now stuck in the past??

I N C E P T I O N
    edited November 2011
    Kwitko wrote:

Hmmm... Vectronics seems to have obsoleted what it would have to sell, but they have some Apple II games here:

http://www.vectronicsappleworld.com/basement/appleii/games1.html

BTW, which ProDOS? Even poor ol' wikipedia has an article which says there are two of them, and auto-questions the author as to where his citations are.

Provinance unknown for the below, but for what it is worth, some Emulators:

http://applearchives.com/apple-ii-emulation/
    edited November 2011
    Kwitko wrote:

Provinance unknown, will let someone else complain/acclaim the link, needs Apple II .IMG file type support:

http://syndicomm.com/apple-ii-system-software/

No more searching on this thread's topic for me.
    edited November 2011
    Fairly certain it was completely sarcastic