An evening with Origin

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Its almost too easy, not even sporting really
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Last thread I got involved in like this I got called a lame, full of shit, cowardly, dick, all over a topic that was not that serious.

Same thing here, no need to be condescending. Ardi has a valid point of view, and I'm pretty confident he knows what an analyst is.

Origin is new, it's buggy, and EA has the resources that they could have probably done a little better. An online store for games in 2004 was pretty innovative, now, it's just common place. That does not mean it's easy to execute, but the comparison to Origin to Steam as a start up is a complete apple and orange. You can't compare them, in terms of hardware and software advancement, the Steam launch happened generations ago when doing this was actually innovative and new. There is something to be said about being a visionary and getting there with a great idea first. EA finally catches up with the market, and they are frustrating people despite having massive resources to execute this. You just can't compare it to what Valve did in 2004.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Why does it always have to degenerate into "YOU'RE STUPID FOR THINKING THIS, YOU'RE WRONG", etc.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Why does it always have to degenerate into "YOU'RE STUPID FOR THINKING THIS, YOU'RE WRONG", etc.

Because there are two groups of people: Those who agree with me, and those who are wrong (and therefore stupid).
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Last thread I got involved in like this I got called a lame, full of shit, cowardly, dick, all over a topic that was not that serious.

Same thing here, no need to be condescending. Ardi has a valid point of view, and I'm pretty confident he knows what an analyst is.

Not being condescending. You're reading too much into it and reading it wrong. I'm agreeing with Ardi that it's complete BS. (See Ardi's #2.) My point is that as Ardi mentioned, EA is a multi-billion dollar company, but they also have been doing this for 20+ years (EA's been around since the late 80's) so should have known this from their own experience even more than Valve's.
    Origin is new, it's buggy, and EA has the resources that they could have probably done a little better. An online store for games in 2004 was pretty innovative, now, it's just common place. That does not mean it's easy to execute, but the comparison to Origin to Steam as a start up is a complete apple and orange. You can't compare them, in terms of hardware and software advancement, the Steam launch happened generations ago when doing this was actually innovative and new. There is something to be said about being a visionary and getting there with a great idea first. EA finally catches up with the market, and they are frustrating people despite having massive resources to execute this. You just can't compare it to what Valve did in 2004.

I can't say whether or not it's Apples to Oranges, purely because I haven't personally messed with Origin that much. I have no games that require it, so I see no reason to install it. Steam is problematic enough.
    Regardless, you can absolutely compare in terms of hardware and software, because the fact is that Steam has been continuously updated and in fact, did undergo a visible near total rewrite. Many of EA's problems as reported seem to stem from a lack of code quality and testing, whereas most of Valve's early problems were actually issues with their original content distribution architecture. (So, so bad.) These days, most of Valve's problems stem from mismanagement and DRM architecture issues - botched releases, difficulty unlocking things, invalid CD keys are not an issue of downloading a game. Origin's absurd user login issues, crashes, and so on largely appear to be client-side bugs. (Not going to touch on the multiple charges issue; that is a separate system per requirements for PCI compliance.)

So yeah, I agree there's no reason EA couldn't have gotten this right. And there's a mountain of in-house first hand experience and existing work they could have drawn on, forget Valve and Steam. My point is that it feels very much like EA's attitude on the whole thing is "why bother? We don't have to spend money to do it right, because trololol, where else are they gonna go for BF3 and ME3 and NFS?" And no amount of comparison or legitimate complaints is going to change it, because it doesn't cost them anything to hold you hostage whereas making it not a pile of crap is very expensive.
  • edited October 2011
    CB wrote:
    They should have left their games available to those who prefer Steam.

It would be one thing if they had never been on Steam, and now EA was finally getting a download service, but they were on Steam, and they forced people who were used to EA games working well on Steam to use Origin instead, which is a dick move. It sacrifices customer ease and satisfaction for a couple extra cents per sale on titles which are already overpriced. Plenty of other game publishers have their own service, but also allow their games on Steam for their customers who like Steam, and they're not going out of business.

It's made doubly worse that they did this while Origin is still in its buggy infancy.

Speaking of games that are overpriced Call of Duty 4 remained $30-40 yrs after it was released. While Battlefield Bad Company 2 came quickly down in price.

If you have a problem with origin saying you can't start the game or its still having activation issues or it wont recognize your code for the game try reinstalling origin, once it is reinstalled all the games you had downloaded already will still be there. The ones that worked will probably still be working and maybe the ones that didnt will be working as well.

Im on the screw all download services bandwagon I hate having to go through any other application just to play my game that is already downloaded and on my computer. (Sure there are some advantages, but everything they do with Battlelog and Origin could have been incorporated directly into the game) As for Battlelog and Origin, having to go through both of those to play BF3 is just silly and Battlelog being in my web browser which I tend to have full of around 20 tabs at a time makes BF3 laggy and I dont like having to close all my tabs and only have Battlelog open to make my game not laggy, because then I have to come back and go through the whole process of finding all the things I closed which would normally open up automatically, but oh no I have to launch BF3 from my web browser.........SERIOUSLY....
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Baddlelog.
    TiberiusLazarus
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Just spent the most frustrating 45 minutes of my life trying to play an online FPS. I seriously can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with a game purchase.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Something has gone wrong today, apparently. Played for a little over an hour and gave up when I had only PLAYED the game for 10 minutes. Constant time outs and game crashes, plus full screen bugs, hardware mouse screwups, authentication failures... I'm telling you, I saw it all.

I turned off my PC in anger and went to read a book instead. So much effort for so little actual return.

When this game works, it rules. The times that it works are so few and far between though, I'm getting really frustrated with it.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Everyone who's purchased Battlefield 3 and has not had a satisfactory experience with it due to game bugs, server unreliability, and/or failings by Origin, has a perfectly legitimate right to complain.

This thread sometimes feels like that tourette's guy episode where the kid says "aw I don't want total..." then tourette's guy says "DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT TOTAL!" repeated ad nauseum.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Here's a question. Since the only way we're going to be able to play ME3 (on PC) is through Origin, will it interact nicely with our saved games on Steam? Or do you think EA will make us repurchase them through Origin or something similarly horrible?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    That is something I definitely will not abide, but I also cannot imagine they would be so uncompromisingly greedy to actually do. Not being able to import XBOX saves? Totally fine. If it can't take the Steam savegames and characters - which are just on a folder on the same hard drive on which ME3 will be installed - that will be seriously unbelievable. There is no way I will repurchase both ME1 and ME2 and all DLC and devote another 70-80 hours to replay them both with the same decisions I picked for my "perfect" playthroughs on Steam. It absolutely will not happen.

But again, I can't fathom that they would force incompatibility. It's impossible for them to be so malicious or incompetent.

Please don't prove me wrong, EA.
    edited November 2011
    A save game for the ME series is a save game; I bought ME1 at a store and ME2 through Steam and they played nice with no problem, I don't see ME3 having any issues with saved games.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Koreish wrote:
    Here's a question. Since the only way we're going to be able to play ME3 (on PC) is through Origin, will it interact nicely with our saved games on Steam? Or do you think EA will make us repurchase them through Origin or something similarly horrible?
    I don't have a quotable source at the moment, but I do recall reading something about being able to import your existing EA game keys into Origin. I'd assume this would cover keys for games purchased through Steam.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Store-bought BFBC2 was added to my Origin account without trouble off nothing but the CD Key, FWIW.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Why would you need to repurchase?

I added my Mass Effect 2 to Origin just by dropping the key in here.
    edited November 2011
    Because EA FUD.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    It refuses my Mass Effect 1 cd key.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    It doesn't seem to like Mass Effect (rejected mine too).
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    This is why I was worried...
    edited November 2011
    I will bet you the free copy of the games they give you for your troubles in adding the CD-Keys for ME1 when you catch them on livechat.

Try here: https://activate.ea.com/applyentitlement.do

Anything pre-2009 used a different system that doesn't play well with Origin. They're well aware of the problem and have been very generous in compensating people for their troubles.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    NiGHTS wrote:
    They're well aware of the problem and have been very generous in compensating people for their troubles.

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=41130273

I am imagining several faces contorted into that.
  • edited November 2011
    i hate dice now.

I live rural and have pretty poor internet connection.
    never an issue before and always able to play online.

Origin now needs one update after the other and if my connection breaks down for a fraction of time i lost the download and have to start all over again.

Always been a happy customer of dice games but will throw it in the bin.

Normally if a product is faulty or unuseable the customer can get cash back, not with games.

I hate dice for doing this

Dice bad

Origin bad
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I think I've updated origin maybe 3 times in the last month, but that doesn't seem that odd. Steam self-updates quite frequently. Sucks that your internet breaks downloading a few MB package though :/
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    So because your ISP is crappy and Origin is still buggy........you hate Dice.

Makes total sense to me.
    edited November 2011
    Don't live in the boonies?
  • edited November 2011
    I hate Dice for choosing a service that does not allow people to plug in a 40 pound game, and let them play.
    I dont care who it is that allows a game to go on sale before tested enough.

This new patcht is a 430 MB download, and for the fourth time it is stuck at 257-ish MB.
    (which takes about a day everytime)

Now it tells me that the game is not installed properly....

I understand that a large game is produced and released with bugs, cant produce a 100% product, but that is the norm.

Everything has a warranty, if it is not working they could send me a new product.

Dont forget that they make a lot of profit on us, a friggin lot.

As a consumer I dont expect this, deffenitely dont apreciate it.

They can try selling a game that works.

Cant even play campaign mode without going to the origin server.

Better of playing a game that works.

Thanks Dice, EA, Origin or whomever. you already have my cash but no longer my support.

Yes I am ranting, but only because I am frustrated, I love BF and have been buying every BF game available.

Now I can only see one solution, try Modern Warfare to see if they f#@ked up or just let me play a game.

Thanks
  • edited November 2011
    So, just thought that I was being a sad b@$t#rd so decided to stop crying and reinstall.

After placing cd nr2 in the drive and another 20minutes of instalation, i get the message that they can not install the game untill I accept UAC prompt before installing.....

But the message comes after instalation is almost complete.

Still dont like this new system very much.

But hey, no stress, this is how it is supposed to be, crap crap crap.

Origin does not offer any function at this stage so I will have to uninstall 11 GB again.

Wow, great, what a smooth experience here.

poop
  • edited November 2011
    Uninstalled everything including origin.

removed stupid UAC restriction that bill gates forced upon me and reinstalled origin.

need update for origin...waiting.

Done.

Reinstall friggin battlefield.

Nice...stuck at 99.54% and not willing to do anything else.

You know i bought this game 14th november, played about 10 hours before origin decided to make life difficult.

Just pressed install again, what a bunch of twats.

I would not recommend any game through origin to my enemys, let alone my friends.
    What a waste of time.

No longer spending money on dice, I am not ashamed to start downloading illegal copies of their games in the future, I have already spend 100's of pounds to their company in the past.

I am the first person to stand behind game makers and always buy legal software because i want them to continue making great games.

But next time i try before i buy.

thanks dice, origin, ea and your twatting friends.
  • edited November 2011
    originfail.jpg