You Facebooked my Google Reader

djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Nicely done article.

There is complaining to complain. Then there is complaining for a positive end, to hopefully make the changes that need to happen.

"To bitch or not to bitch?" I love this line. I shall quote you forevermore.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    "By clicking the +1, the article is sent directly to your Google+ feed"

Actually, it's worse than that - no one really seems to know where the +1's go, other than into Google's search rankings. To get it onto Google+, you have to first +1, then you get the Google+ share panel as a separate submission. There's also a separate share button somewhere at the top of the screen.

FWIW, I blogged about these changes and some alternatives.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Les out of the woodwork!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Uhm... I know exactly where the +1s go. They go right into your Google Plus profile, under the +1 tab. IE: https://plus.google.com/109853168416644804709/plusones

herpderp
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Would an alternative be to use the G+ integration to share articles with a circle of your fellow bloggers, much like you do with email now? One big feed of articles shared by you and with you seems more useful to me than even having them all in GMail.

Just thinking out loud.
  • edited November 2011
    Dude, you can use the Share button in the black bar to share stuff... hello, so many blinded by the changes and not its functionality.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Would an alternative be to use the G+ integration to share articles with a circle of your fellow bloggers, much like you do with email now? One big feed of articles shared by you and with you seems more useful to me than even having them all in GMail.

Just thinking out loud.
    This is what I was thinking, but there are a few issues with this. The biggest being that there's no way to easily share an article with a certain circle of friends on Google+ from Google Reader. And since Google+ doesn't handle RSS yet that makes it even more complicated. I'm at a loss. I think the overall point of this article is that I don't ever expect anything to be done about this, but who knows.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    How about a Firefox and Chrome extension to return the share option, then?
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    That won't put shared articles from people I follow in my feed. You can still share on the mobile app too.