Buying a Tablet

NemikanNemikan Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Science & Tech
So far I don't own a smart phone, or tablet, or any online mobile device. Just a normal phone since I'm normally always on my computer. Now I'm communiting to Chicago via the Metra, I'm in need of something to do on the train. Ideally I'm wanting to surf the web, read some online articles, watch movies, and play some games. The question is what to buy, I'm thinking a Tablet since I'd prefer the larger screen.

Now what tablet to buy... I don't currently use any apple products (that includes Itunes) since I tend to play a lot of games. I'm also a programmer, so I'd prefer something that I could program such as Java or C#.

What would you recommend?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    7" tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    10"+ tablet: Transformer Prime in december.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I don't own a tablet, nor do I know enough about them (From a technical standpoint) to give a proper suggestion, but from my own experience I'd suggest staying away from an Ipad, they're just too fragile from what I've seen of them there are far better available.

(Isn't there a Blackberry tablet or something?)
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, but the application ecosystem for the PlayBook blows.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thrax, why the Galaxy Tab over the Kindle Fire?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Annes wrote:
    Thrax, why the Galaxy Tab over the Kindle Fire?

choke, choke, cough, wheeze! Galaxy over everything else, everything else over K F. (wow, now I can breath again)
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I was under the impression the the Kindle Fire had decent hardware, was I horribly mistaken?
    edited November 2011
    Annes wrote:
    I was under the impression the the Kindle Fire had decent hardware, was I horribly mistaken?

Kindle Fire is a media tablet, with a limited set of capabilities. It has decent hardware, sure, but it's more of an appliance/"curated device" than a full-fledged tablet. Unless you want to hack it, or don't care about ever receiving the complete Android experience, the KF is no replacement.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Kindle Fire is a media tablet, with a limited set of capabilities. It has decent hardware, sure, but it's more of an appliance/"curated device" than a full-fledged tablet. Unless you want to hack it, or don't care about ever receiving the complete Android experience, the KF is no replacement.

Do you know the status of the android community hacking the thing? I'd say it's a GREAT value if they've managed to get full-fledged android on it.
    edited November 2011
    It's not released.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    True, not yet shipping, but Amazon is talking 4-7 days before shipping time on thier site, and shipping will be in pre-order timing shipping order:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=8302881517&ref=pd_sl_7gl7b2uwu2_e
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    It's not released.

I'm bad at dates.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I assume based on the lack of graphics no tablet can run any good games (ie: TF2)?
    edited November 2011
    Tablet and phone games are almost exclusively the kind of stuff you would have found on the Genesis, with graphics not much better than the N64 or PSX. There are a few games that look like UT2K4, but they're rare and expensive, and typically require NVIDIA chips.
    edited November 2011
    The Transformer Prime seems pretty awesome, but wtf @ them for charging $150 for the keyboard dock....
    edited November 2011
    Tablet + dock = price of a decent laptop, with better hardware, and infinitely superior portability. The Prime and its predecessor are both awesome.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    If only they had a non-proprietary charging port on the OG Transformer, I would have plonked down the money for one (and then gotten rid of my netbook and probably my chromebook too)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I reviewed the Motorola Xoom, Toshiba Thrive, Samsung Galaxy Tab, and Asus Transformer. Hands down, the Transformer ruled them all. I had a 10 person review pool and only one person liked the Samsung Galaxy Tab over the Asus Transformer. The tablet aspect of the Transformer was not as good as the Galaxy Tab but you add in the keyboard dock/battery and it kicks the crap out of all other tablets. I was able to get about 18 hours of steady use when all others started pooping out at about 10-13 hrs.

Personally, if money is an issue, wait for the Transformer 2 (Transformer Prime) is released and see if the original Transformer comes down in price. The rumors are that the original Transformer will get Ice Cream Sandwich too.

If price is not too big of an issue, get the Transformer Prime. Quad core, ICS, Tegra 3 GPU... it's the goods. ;)
    edited November 2011
    Here ya go...

Asus Transformer for $250 + $100 for the dock. $350 for the Transformer is a great price. Android Police
    edited November 2011
    For Black Friday. LOL. 3.217 models per store.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Has anyone heard when the Transformer Prime will be released? I'm thinking about getting this for a Christmas present for myself... I mean, for my wife ...
    edited November 2011
    Should be out in early December.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    <giddy laughter> Sweeeeett!!! I was one of the people reviewing QCH's original Transformer and it just blew me away... when I heard that the Prime was coming out this year, I knew I had to get one!! Between this and Skyrim, it'll be a very happy Christmas!!
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone ever tried hooking up an external video card to a tablet? I'm wondering because while I normally will be using the tablet on the train, and want to travel light, if i ever go on a trip, It would definitely be nice to play games on it. But then I probably should be getting a laptop instead...
    edited December 2011
    That's not how tablets work. Sounds like you, yes, want a laptop.
    edited December 2011
    However, games on Android have come a long way. I gave quite the collection of "Amazon Free App of Day" games. Quite a few are good enough to occupy several hours a day.