New monitor/TV decisions

edited November 2011 in Hardware
Hello all,

I am considering buying a new monitor for my PC. I'd like to get a Computer Monitor with a built in TV tuner or an HD LCD/LED TV.

I've done some research and if I go with the TV, I definitely want 1080p so I can have a higher video resolution of 1920x1080.

Here's the two I have narrowed down to:

Samsung P2770HD 27" LCD Monitor
or
Seiki LC32G82 32" LCD HDTV
or
Samsung P2770FH 27" Widescreen LCD Monitor

All have pretty good reviews. Of course the Seiki is a little bigger. All have similar setups as far as response times, contrast ratios etc. My only concern is the Seiki TV is 60hz. I'm pretty sure the Samsung's are 75hz. The second Samsung I listed does not have built in TV tuner, but it has a better response time and a slight higher contrast ratio.

I plan to use the monitor mainly for Computer use, some gaming and watching TV occasionally. However, with all the online abilities to watch programs, a TV Tuner is not a priority. I just thought having both in one might be a nice option.

I definitely want at least a 27 inch size. My budget needs to stay around 300 dollars.

My next question, is LCD or LED preferred for a monitor mainly used for a PC? I know Plasma will have a much better refresh rate and smoothing, but they don't make plasmas small enough for my application.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Get an actual PC monitor. Your eyes with thank you.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    MAGIC wrote:
    Get an actual PC monitor. Your eyes with thank you.

+1. A TV is no replacement for a monitor. There's a reason why a 27" TV is ~$300, but a 27" monitor is more than $600.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    To answer your second question I just want to add LED lighting in monitors is just a feature of LCD monitors. They are just LCD monitors that use LEDs for backlight instead of fluorescent. LED lighting uses less power and if done properly can look better.

On that note, if you really want to choose out of three you posted I'd go with the Samsung just because of my personal associations about the brand and the displays they make, not for any technical reason.

Good luck!
  • edited November 2011
    I went with the second Samsung without the built-in TV Tuner. I got it for a really good price at Sam's Club, since I am a member. Under 300 and included shipping and tax.

Thanks for all your input!