The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Well,
    First it was an early October release. Then a late October release. Then November 10th. And now, apparently it will be launching in Europe on the 17th of Nov, and apparently we will have to hang in a little longer than that... (They always get the early love over sea's)

Lovely, Ive been done "hanging in there". This phone isn't going to release until almost December. And I will not be able to buy this phone in December, due to the holiday shopping for others, and school payments for my winter semester.

And yet, Verizon is pushing out YET ANOTHER Motorola phone (Droid Razr), before all the others that have been announced for months. (what a surprise there) :mad:
    I've been hanging in as well with an OG Droid - my whole family is (4 phones on the plan). If you don't mind rooting, reinstalling Android, and overclocking the crap out of your phone (to 1GHz), Thrax has an incredible guide to putting an excellent build of Gingerbread on a Droid. I have done this on my own phone and can attest to its effectiveness. It's really like having a new phone. Camera issues aside, it should keep you going until the Galaxy Nexus comes out.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    I've been hanging in as well with an OG Droid - my whole family is (4 phones on the plan). If you don't mind rooting, reinstalling Android, and overclocking the crap out of your phone (to 1GHz), Thrax has an incredible guide to putting an excellent build of Gingerbread on a Droid. I have done this on my own phone and can attest to its effectiveness. It's really like having a new phone. Camera issues aside, it should keep you going until the Galaxy Nexus comes out.

Yea,
    I guess I could put Gingerbread on mine. Im still on Froyo. I am using a custom ROM, but I don't even remember which one. Its been over a year since I switched roms. I think it is a build of cyanogen, but I really can't remember.

I have mine rooted and overclocked to 1.1Ghz. I lower it to 250mhz when im at work or not using it to save battery.

It used to be fast. But its slow as crap now. Even when overclocked. Its probably from all the crap that I accumulated on it over the years. But I don't feel like cleaning it up anymore.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Follow my guide. You won't even believe how fast your Droid is.
    edited November 2011
    Well the Galaxy Nexus isn't scheduled to be release until ON or right after Black Friday now.

So those of use that wanted that phone, expect it to be hard to get your hands on.

I for one work retail, and will be stuck at work for 10+ hours on black friday, likely wont have time to wait in lines for a phone.

Lets hope it releases AFTER black friday.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    There will probably be preorders, right? Or do carriers only do that for Apple phones?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Amazon usually starts a preorder a week before release. If that holds true, we should be able to start buying on 11/18.
    edited November 2011
    I bet it doesn't launch on VZW until December.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    You shut your mouth ;D
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:

9a5f7133-41de-47da-9fc0-01c8ddd125b9.jpg
  • ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    edited November 2011
    How certain is the 11/10 launch date for the Galaxy Nexus? I am in need of a new phone soon (mine broke last night).
    edited November 2011
    It's not 11/10. It's after Thanksgiving.
  • ChemriofChemriof Soviet Scotland
    edited November 2011
    You should change it on the thing then.
    edited November 2011
    Ok, so there are two new rumors for the Galaxy Nexus Verizon Launch.

"Nov 21 w/o" is all over the internet.

Some sites are claiming that we will be able to pre-order it on the 17th and deliveries on the 21st, and some sites are claiming that the 21st will be the official online sale date.....

I hope I can pre-order on the 17th..... but with Verizon, there is no telling.
    edited November 2011
    W/o Nov. 21 is still Thanksgiving as previously indicated.
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    W/o Nov. 21 is still Thanksgiving as previously indicated.

So does that mean we wont see it on sale online until Thanksgiving,
    Or we will see it online the 21st, and in stores on Thanksgiving?

One website said that Samsung is doing the contest to win a free Galaxy Nexus, and the contest ends on November 21st....

It said that the last two nexus phones that came out, the day that their contest ended, was the day that the phones released.

That information, combined with the screen shots of "Nov 21 w/o" kinda make it seem like at least SOMETHING will have on the 21st right? It would only make sense...
    edited November 2011
    Some people are also concerned that Verizon is pushing the release date back on the GN from the 21st to the 26th just so that early adopters of the Moto Droid Razer (11-11 release) will not be able to swap to the GN with their 15 day exchange/return policy. The 26th would place it right at the 15th day mark of the Droid Razr release...

coincidence?

Yet another example of Verizon Kissing Moto's ass? I think yes.
    The Galaxy Nexus is going to be a much better phone than the Droid Razr, and pretty much everyone knows this. So why wouldn't Verizon be promoting it like crazy already like they do with ALL of their Motorola phones? We don't even have a true release date, only a week from its possible release... Motorola's are always set release dates, even weeks before their releases.
    edited November 2011
    While it wouldn't surprise me, I doubt there's a malicious intent in the delays.

The primary driver is most likely that Verizon just doesn't care about the GNex, since they can't load it with their crapware and bloat (No, really, guys. VZNavigator is so much more awesome than the navigation that's built into the OS. Just give me $5/month and I'll show you. Guys? Guys?). Because of that, there will be very little, if any, marketing, and it's even possible that retail stores won't even carry it once it does release.
    edited November 2011
    And just like that, Verizon goes out of its way to prove why we hate them so much:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/17/even-as-a-nexus-device-verizon-still-manages-to-sneak-in-two-bloatware-apps-on-the-galaxy-nexus/

I'm seriously considering writing it off now due to the delays and the inclusion of (even this small amount) of bloatware. If Verizon can't be trusted to keep its hands out of the Nexus' software, then the idea of a true AOSP phone on their network is completely destroyed.

Going to a Verizon store tonight to check out the Rezound.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    And just like that, Verizon goes out of its way to prove why we hate them so much:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/17/even-as-a-nexus-device-verizon-still-manages-to-sneak-in-two-bloatware-apps-on-the-galaxy-nexus/

I'm seriously considering writing it off now due to the delays and the inclusion of (even this small amount) of bloatware. If Verizon can't be trusted to keep its hands out of the Nexus' software, then the idea of a true AOSP phone on their network is completely destroyed.

Going to a Verizon store tonight to check out the Rezound.

FFS, you can root the device and uninstall the crap with minimal effort. It's no reason to abandon the phone.
    edited November 2011
    It still interferes with OTA updates, and has created the initial delay in the first place.

At this point, for me, it's not about the actual software itself. Rooting and removing bloat is the first thing I do with a new phone to begin with.

My point is that it's a Nexus device. It's intent is to be carrier-agnostic and devoid of anything not directly in the AOSP source trees.

If I can't trust Verizon to keep their hands off of a Nexus, how can I trust them to not be adding other non-apk software like CIQ?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Couldn't you just buy an unlocked Nexus Prime and activate it on VZ?
    edited November 2011
    No such thing as "unlocked" in CDMA/Verizon LTE space.
    edited November 2011
    I love this phone. I am gonna buy it as soon as it comes out.....

Not that bloatware is a big deal to me, because I will root the phone and remove it anyways.....
    BUT I do believe Verizon is messing up big time. Who do they really think they are, adding bloatware to a phone that was literally made to not have all that crap?!?

Not only that, but if Verizon feels they still have the right to add bloatware to the phone, who's to say they wont start robbing us of future software updates like they do with all of their non-nexus phones.

My only other choice would be the Rezound... (which im not nearly as interested in as the GN) But the fact that I can't stand Beatz audio crap.... is a def no for me. They had to put the damn beats logo all over the phone.... LAME
    edited November 2011
    So after some discussion last night, I've decided I'm going to wait and use my final NE2 discount in May and snag whatever ridicusuperlusciousphone is available at the time.

Now I'm debating if I want to pick up a Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet. I haven't checked on the rooting scene for the Nook Tablet yet, so I'll be researching that today.
    edited November 2011
    Two APKs doesn't delay firmware. Relax.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    My wife is due for an upgrade in January, which I'm probably going to take. At this point, I think the SGSII is my best bet. She'll take my rooted EVO with the busted accelerometer. She doesn't need anything outside of Angry Birds, so it's no loss to her.
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Two APKs doesn't delay firmware. Relax.

I'm conceding that point. But I'm still pissed off about it. It's a principal thing, and it's enough to induce me to look the other way.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Amazon shipped my SGSII last night and it's on my doorstep right now... which is 30 miles from where I am right now. Grrrrrr.... Glad I'm off for the next week. Time to play!!!
    edited November 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    My wife is due for an upgrade in January, which I'm probably going to take. At this point, I think the SGSII is my best bet. She'll take my rooted EVO with the busted accelerometer. She doesn't need anything outside of Angry Birds, so it's no loss to her.

Luckily for you, the Sprint SGS2 is by far the best. Same core hardware as the int'l version, with a larger (and astoundingly gorgerous) screen.
    edited November 2011
    Seriously, whats it going to be.... November or December?

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/18/add-december-8-to-the-galaxy-nexus-launch-list/#disqus_thread

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/18/and-the-november-21-release-date-for-the-4g-lte-galaxy-nexus-returns-this-time-thanks-to-google/#disqus_thread

WTH? Seriously.... This is getting so out of hand.

A verizon snapshot of Nov 21st. Coupled with the fact that all of the previous nexus deviced launched the day of their contest end (Nov 21st for the GNex), and the fact that we were told "Late November" seemed so possible....

But now another screen shot of December 8th.... For ***** sake man, this thing is turning into the Bionic all over again. Verizon is the worst carrier for this type of crap.

Rumors are saying that ICS is rolling out to previous nexus devices BEFORE the GNex Verizon Release. Seriously? The GNex was suppose to be the FIRST U.S phone to get ICS.

If this Dec 8th rumor is true, and these BS delays keep happening, by the time the phone comes out, it will be outdated, just like the Bionic. Devices get outdated so quick now, at least give us a month of being on top.... Geez.

EDIT:
    Sorry for the Long Rant. When I wrote this, I had just got of work, was having a pretty bad day (Yaaay Retail and Holiday Season....... not)
    I do this kind of stuff after a long day in retail during this season, takes me a little while to unwind. lol :eek3: