Skyrim Leveling Advice

2»

Comments

• FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited November 2011
    It feels like it would be really frustrating if I put a point in the wrong place, or changed my mind a little later on about my skill choice. Is there anyway to reset your points?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Not yet, but there's likely to be a respec mod at some point.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Not yet, but there's likely to be a respec mod at some point.

I hope that they attach a cool gameplay element to it, like a quest and/or an item to find or create to respec
  • I-need-a-better-nameI-need-a-better-name Austin Member
    edited November 2011
    I hope that they attach a cool gameplay element to it, like a quest and/or an item to find or create to respec
    Trigger a courier event, deliver a letter stating "We have received word of your... adventures and could use someone with your particular talents. Please report to _name of alchemy shop_ if you're interested in helping progress science far into the future."
    When you arrive, you have a dialogue option for "I'm here to progress science." and the screen fades out. Fade in to you sitting at an inn, the note is removed from your inventory and there is a note on the table along with a book. The note thanks you for your assistance but says that unfortunately, due to the highly secretive nature of the project, your memories had to be wiped. However, as thanks for your assistance, they have left you the book of knowledge that will help you pick up the pieces of your life. Your levels and magicka/stamina/health have all been reset to 100 and you have no perks available.
    When you read the book you have an option to increase any skill (since they've been reset to your race's defaults) five points. The normal level up process would trigger when you get enough skill ups and you would more or less be on the honor system to only skill up enough to catch up to your previous level.

I think that's the easiest method with no voice acting, pretty simple scripting and hopefully, little breakage. Now to learn how to code it all up when the creation kit comes out.
    edited November 2011
    Trigger a courier event, deliver a letter stating "We have received word of your... adventures and could use someone with your particular talents. Please report to _name of alchemy shop_ if you're interested in helping progress science far into the future."
    When you arrive, you have a dialogue option for "I'm here to progress science." and the screen fades out. Fade in to you sitting at an inn, the note is removed from your inventory and there is a note on the table along with a book. The note thanks you for your assistance but says that unfortunately, due to the highly secretive nature of the project, your memories had to be wiped. However, as thanks for your assistance, they have left you the book of knowledge that will help you pick up the pieces of your life. Your levels and magicka/stamina/health have all been reset to 100 and you have no perks available.
    When you read the book you have an option to increase any skill (since they've been reset to your race's defaults) five points. The normal level up process would trigger when you get enough skill ups and you would more or less be on the honor system to only skill up enough to catch up to your previous level.

I think that's the easiest method with no voice acting, pretty simple scripting and hopefully, little breakage. Now to learn how to code it all up when the creation kit comes out.

That sounds... amazing
  • I-need-a-better-nameI-need-a-better-name Austin Member
    edited November 2011
    Frenchie wrote:
    That sounds... amazing
    Now that I think of it, if could count your skills ups and give you that many in increments of five, rounded up to the nearest five.
    edited November 2011
    SPOILERS MAY BE IMMINENT
    Has anyone done the whole Dark Brotherhood quest line? The quest where you have to get onto the ship and murder that really important guy (Woo ambiguousness) why DOES EVERYONE have the ability to see me? I sneaked up behind the first people you encounter (The shipworker people wearing nothing really) and they turned around and smacked me in the face. My sneak is mid 70s, and I am wearing Cicero's armor for the sneak boost. Am I doing something wrong??
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Use the [ spoiler ] tags if you're going to post potential spoilers
    edited November 2011
    Use the [ spoiler ] tags if you're going to post potential spoilers

Oopsie, thanks for the edit
  • FitzkriegFitzkrieg British Columbia
    edited December 2011
    SPOILERS
    Yeah, I've finished that quest line.
    The twenty thousand gold reward is nice.
    So anyway, while I have finished that quest line, I was at Sneak 100 with the Shadow Warrior perk when I did (so it didn't even matter if I did get detected). I'm assuming that you completed the bonus objectives for your previous contracts, so I'd try equipping the Nightweaver's Band (another 10% to your stealth rating) or, if that fails, going off to grind your Sneak a little bit (maybe 80 or so?) before you attempt to storm the ship. That aside, I don't know what to tell you.
    edited November 2011
    Yeah
    I decided to just continue on the quest, and I learned a neat trick where you just roll (Sprint + Stealth) and then click attack and you kill them very easily. It turned out working well.
    edited November 2011
    Has anyone tried to level Alchemy? I started thinking that it would be a lot like Smithing (Create a ton of iron daggers and call it a day) but it is SO SO much slower. I have went around to every city in Skyrim buying all of the reagents at least 4 times now, and I have only gone from 40 to 50
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Frenchie wrote:
    Has anyone tried to level Alchemy? I started thinking that it would be a lot like Smithing (Create a ton of iron daggers and call it a day) but it is SO SO much slower. I have went around to every city in Skyrim buying all of the reagents at least 4 times now, and I have only gone from 40 to 50

I've found that just picking everything in the world as you travel (without fast travel. I almost never use it) allows you to level it pretty quickly. The best way to do it is to also randomly combine things, not make known potions.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, I agree. If you just go down the list randomly mixing ingredients your alchemy will go up fast.
    edited November 2011
    I am not sure that makes sense to me, why does that go faster than mixing the things I know will work and are worth the most?
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Because you expand your horizon and discover new things. It's like cooking. If you make the same few dishes everyday you would eventually become a good chef. However, if you made a few dishes one day, and some other the next, you'd become an even better one.