Overheating Laptop

edited November 2011 in Hardware
I was wondering if any of you tech gurus know what is the best way to prevent the laptop from overheating. I have the HP pavillion tx 2000 and if i start running anywhere between 3-4 windows at a time it starts overheating and the fan start going into overdrive. I am in using it in a classroom and it gets uncomfortable when it seems like my laptop is about to lift off. I have replaced the hard drive with SSD and it helped a bit but still not good enough. I mean forget about playing games. just having 4 Chrome windows open gets it going. and if i have just one netflix window running oh boy. without subtitles there is no way i could hear the speech :))))

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    It's probably caked with dust. Have you ever opened it up and cleaned the dust out of the heatsink?
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    u have nvidia igp, either 6150/6100go or 7150/7100go, need to replace the stupid thermal pad with copper shim, that will improve thermal transfer and keep ur IGP at idle of 50 ish, instead of 65-70,

also disable any aero or 3D effect in windows, to reduce IGP load, so IGP does not need to work = lower heat,

you better do it fast before the dreadful NV solder fatigue (due to high heat and "environmental friendly" solder)

environmental friendly" solder = load of crap, any solder without Pb (lead) it has lower melting point and fatigue problem with high/dry heat,

to me environmental friendly" solder = not environmental friendly at all, more waste and more $$$ to companies, purely business move
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    It's probably caked with dust. Have you ever opened it up and cleaned the dust out of the heatsink?

This. Dust in the vents would cause the fan to run much harder than normal.
  • FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited November 2011
    If cleaning the CPU fans/heatsink doesn't help the problem enough you can also buy a USB powered fan base for the laptop that will also help cool it a lot.