Windows Phone 7 rooting app available in Marketplace

Comments

• edited November 2011
    No. ChevronWP7 does not "root" your device; it seems to simply unlock developer access. The result is actually still quite limited: it would be nice to have "root".

"""Provided unlocks are equivalent to those provided by Microsoft’s App Hub. That means 10 side-loaded applications. That also means no “Interop access”."""
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Cheers to Microsoft for taking another step toward personal user experience freedom.

Well said. Took my comment out of my mouth before I could post it :-D

-Digi
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    No. ChevronWP7 does not "root" your device; it seems to simply unlock developer access. The result is actually still quite limited: it would be nice to have "root".

"""Provided unlocks are equivalent to those provided by Microsoft’s App Hub. That means 10 side-loaded applications. That also means no “Interop access”."""

-- http://www.chevronwp7.com/post/12369366007/chevronwp7-labs-launch-1-update
    Thank you for the correction.
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited November 2011
    Damn, saurik himself.

Welcome to Icrontic.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Pretty smart move really. With the amount of people that Root their phone, charging a little bit of money for a "secure" way to do it will probably rake in a decent deal of cash for MS while not actually losing anything. People will root regardless, so charge them a small fee for it.
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited November 2011
    For those interested, XDA-Developers is an excellent resource - they seem to have a sizable development community behind WP7. Not to mention they are able to exploit the opening that the ChevronWP7 or developer unlocks create to grant as close to "full" access as possible - interop unlock.

There's also some dedicated people working on allowing native code to run on the WP7. I'm certainly glad I hopped on when I did - I can't wait to see some of the things homebrew developers are able to pull off.