The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    so now that the Nexus Prime Galaxy delay let down is over, what's the next best phone coming out in 3-6 months?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    so now that the Nexus Prime Galaxy delay let down is over, what's the next best phone coming out in 3-6 months?

This is now my attitude on the subject. I'm interested in what's going to be available in the May/June timeframe.

Sent from my Kindle Fire. ;)
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    They just keep taking this awesome phone, and downgrading the excitement for it it by the day...

Originally Verizon was suppose to get a 32gb version of the phone. (as opposed to the 16gb overseas)
    Well google updated their website to reveal that Verizon will only get the 16gb version.

This is going to be a huge let down to a lot of people, considering the fact that there is no microSD slot.

To me, it really doesn't matter, I don't load my phone up with movies and stuff. But it is still some-what of a dissapointment. And I can imagine that heavy media users will be very upset about this. Some people just NEED a lot of music.

16gb of storage is nothing anymore.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    On a side note, Google Music would completely solve the music storage issue.
    edited November 2011

True,

but would it waste more battery?
    Considering the fact that its streaming the song also, not just playing it out of memory?

I don't listen to much music on my phone anyways, just a few albums. But still....?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011

BANDWIDTH CAPS MAN! trollololololol
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    BANDWIDTH CAPS MAN! trollololololol
    Sprint
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Looks like December 8 is now the Verizon release date.

Meanwhile, the UK has had it since Thursday of last week.

I had a dream. A dream for a completely uncrapified AOSP phone on Verizon. But Verizon continues to screw with things over and over to where now I just don't care if the GNex ever comes out.

Here's hoping for a 4-core 2GB RAM 720p beast in early June.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    As I just mentioned on Twitter, I'm more or less done with the idea of the Galaxy Nexus. I can work with no SD, but I'm not smitten with it. I cannot work without mass storage support; I understand the technical reasons, but what was implemented as the alternative (MTP and PTP) doesn't adequately cover my needs.

And momma always told me never to buy first-gen products. At this point, I am strongly considering the Galaxy S III. It'll be introduced at MWC, with a debut around March or April, and probably with the specs I've been wanting in a phone all along: Mali-T604, quad core, 720p, etc. And the Galaxies are always a modder's dream.

Here's to hoping it's pentaband.

//EDIT: The only reason I'm not definite in this decision is because I can always turn around and sell the GNex for $300-400 in 6 months and upgrade for a relatively modest amount of cash. I don't know. I'm going to have to try one in person before I really decide.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    All this Galaxy Nexus controversy (as well as some discussions about finances, consumerism, etc.) has really started me thinking.... do I really NEED something better than my Nexus One? I think I've decided that I really don't. I might need a new battery for my N1 as it's capacity is starting to diminish, but I'm really starting realize that this phone does everything that I want it to and more. All these new bells and whistles that are designed to make me desire to upgrade are really things that I wouldn't ever use.... I don't NEED a high def screen on my phone, because I don't ever watch movies on my phone. I don't NEED a faster processor because I don't play games or do anything sufficiently intensive on my phone that I would need any more than what the Nexus One has at this point. I definitely don't NEED a phone that is physically larger than my N1 because, well, this thing barely fits in my pocket when I'm wearing jeans as it is. I don't really know what my point is here... perhaps I'm just ranting... I tend to do that when I'm tired.
    edited November 2011
    I am not sure that I understand what the MTP or PTP do or how they work? I have always just plugged my phone in and expected it to work as USB storage. The last phone that I had that did not have USB mass storage, was a "dumb-phone"

Ive always assumed that smart phones would have the capability of usb mass storage.

That said,
    I am right along with you guys. This phone would be dead to me... I feel as though its gonna be a great phone, but that they messed up bad with the release, the lack of microSD and only 16gb storage. Along with no mass USB storage.

I would call it off... I would say "screw it, im just gonna wait until the next big phone comes along". But I just can't take my OG droid any longer. I just can't.

I don't even know if I can last until December 8th. I might go get the HTC rezound in a week or so, as long as it is within the 15 days of the GNex release, ill use the Rezound and then switch out for the GNex on the 8th.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    "Only 16GB?" Sheesh. The biggest - BIGGEST - micro SD card that has EVER BEEN MADE is 64GB. The biggest one available in most phone shops is 8GB. The biggest I believe you can functionally buy today is 32GB. Why is a phone, offered with 16 and 32GB varieties, suddenly damned by the lack of SD functionality? Who are these people who carry around 18 SD cards with them so they can swap out their sweet new 120 hours of music to the NEXT set they want to listen to?

To you, MTP/PTP will be invisible. When you plug it into your Windows PC, it'll pick it up as a disk just like it would otherwise. The difference is in other areas, like trying to hook it up to a stereo that expects mass storage, or hooking it up to Linux. It needs extra work there.

I can't believe you're considering letting a release taint your view of a phone. If you thought something amazing was coming out in three days and the Nexus was coming out in two, I get it. It sounds like you're just writing it off because of any little thing you can get your hands on. First it was PenTile. Then it was no Gorilla Glass. Then it was no SD. Then it was the release date that Verizon keeps pushing back. Then it was MTP - about which it seems you know nothing, yet you're going to write it all off because it's not what you know, even though it's functionally identical for 95% of use cases.

You're baffling.
    edited November 2011
    (BTW: Largest SD card ever is 128GB from what I can find)
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Unless you're putting large amounts of music and/or movies on, or shooting tons of video, the 16GB is plenty. It has been for me, but I have a separate HD video camera, though I could see the Nexus as a handy backup.

Here's my question: What are the odds that the CyanogenMod team will add regular USB mass storage support back in? Seems like it would make half of the "problems" go away.
    edited November 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    (BTW: Largest SD card ever is 128GB from what I can find)

MicroSD was the size, but yeah, freaking huge regardless.
    edited November 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    It sounds like you're just writing it off because of any little thing you can get your hands on. First it was PenTile. Then it was no Gorilla Glass. Then it was no SD. Then it was the release date that Verizon keeps pushing back. Then it was MTP - about which it seems you know nothing, yet you're going to write it all off because it's not what you know, even though it's functionally identical for 95% of use cases.

You're baffling.

Good fucking god, a thousand times THIS.
    edited November 2011
    I really thought the lack of an SD slot would bother me. After looking at my usage patterns over the last several years, I realize it doesn't affect me one bit. Ever since my first smartphone (OG iPhone) I have never run out of space. Even after upgrading to the OG Droid, I have yet to remove my SD card for any reason whatsoever. I guess it might affect me more if the MicroSD slot was on the side of the phone and I didn't have to remove the battery to access it. But then again, it probably wouldn't even then.
    edited November 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    "Only 16GB?" Sheesh. The biggest - BIGGEST - micro SD card that has EVER BEEN MADE is 64GB. The biggest one available in most phone shops is 8GB. The biggest I believe you can functionally buy today is 32GB. Why is a phone, offered with 16 and 32GB varieties, suddenly damned by the lack of SD functionality? Who are these people who carry around 18 SD cards with them so they can swap out their sweet new 120 hours of music to the NEXT set they want to listen to?

To you, MTP/PTP will be invisible. When you plug it into your Windows PC, it'll pick it up as a disk just like it would otherwise. The difference is in other areas, like trying to hook it up to a stereo that expects mass storage, or hooking it up to Linux. It needs extra work there.

I can't believe you're considering letting a release taint your view of a phone. If you thought something amazing was coming out in three days and the Nexus was coming out in two, I get it. It sounds like you're just writing it off because of any little thing you can get your hands on. First it was PenTile. Then it was no Gorilla Glass. Then it was no SD. Then it was the release date that Verizon keeps pushing back. Then it was MTP - about which it seems you know nothing, yet you're going to write it all off because it's not what you know, even though it's functionally identical for 95% of use cases.

You're baffling.

Since you were directing most of this (or all of this) to me... You took me too seriously, and got some things that I never said.

If you look back on the previous posts, not once did I complain about not having gorilla glass. I talked about how drop tests prove nothing because its all about the point of impact. But never did I complain about the lack of gorilla glass..

And I didn't say that I wasn't going to get the phone. I still am buying this phone and I will still like it.

About the storage.....
    In the last page I posted about how the 16gb isn't THAT big of a deal to me, but it may be to others....
    Yea sure the largest microSD card may be 32gb.... But if you have 16gb built into your phone and then another 32gb installed on an SD card, that gives you plenty more storage.

Now, the ONLY TIME that I would use that much storage is for road trips or vacations. I had three 16gb sd cards for my blackberry and all three were full of offline map files (to use maps when I had no service) and a wide selection of music when I went to Vegas/Grand Canyon roadtrip. And it was very convenient to have that much storage for that trip.

I don't carry around thousands of songs on a daily basis, and I even said this in the last page.

So no, 16gb is not THAT big of a deal to me, and I even said that it was not going to stop me from buying the phone. But more storage options is a nice feature sometimes.

And yes..... I said that I didn't know what MTP/PTP was. I wasn't complaining about it, I was looking for someone to better explain what it mean. And thank you for the explanation :)

The fact that I do not like PenTile display's is a legitimate reason. I don't like it, I don't like the visible pixels... and thousands of other users don't like it either. But I am willing to live with it on a 720p display. Im sorry that me no liking PenTile bothers you....:tongue:

The only other thing that I said is I would think about waiting for a better phone, if my phone wasn't so old. If I had a Droid X2 or Bionic or something kind of new, I would not be on the market for a new phone yet. But because I can no longer stand my OG droid, I want a new phone ASAP. I have been holding out since July/August.
    edited November 2011
    I've been holding out with a BlackBerry for 3 years. Stop kvetching. ;)
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:

Lol, its cool. In my last post I was actually agreeing with your last post on the last page (5)

Where you said that you cannot live without Mass Media Storage. And that you CAN live with no sd card but your not smitten by it.

Which is actually pretty much my same exact feelings too, I just worded it different. Maybe I came across as whinny. idk.

Either way, im not the only person who has their likes and dislikes about this phone. And everybody has their own opinion as to what phone meets their needs or wants.
    edited November 2011
    I can't live without it because I have specific needs that can't be met with MTP. I can't imagine there are too many people on Icrontic that are in the same boat. For almost everyone else, you plug it in and it shows up as a hard disk just like always.
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I can't live without it because I have specific needs that can't be met with MTP. I can't imagine there are too many people on Icrontic that are in the same boat. For almost everyone else, you plug it in and it shows up as a hard disk just like always.

Well if what snark said about MTP is true, then i will have some troubles with it too since i use both linux and windows. Not everyone uses only Windows, and just plug and go for file transfers.

That said, using MTP, can you copy any types of files to the phone, or just media typle files? because that would be a key factor for me, as installing roms and stuff often require files to be loaded on the device first.
    edited November 2011
    You could always just download the ROM directly on your phone...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    You could always just download the ROM directly on your phone...

That's how I've always rolled ... ROM'n dirty.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:

This is what baffles me. I would have gotten a used Android device months ago while I was holding out for a superphone.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Gargoyle wrote:
    This is what baffles me. I would have gotten a used Android device months ago while I was holding out for a superphone.

He talks a lot of game, but is el cheapo when it comes to purchasing (and we love you for your insatiable devouring of new tech talk)
    edited November 2011
    Thrax is the epitome of "measure twice, cut once."
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    And we all get to reap the rewards of his desire to get it right the first time, which is awesome.

I just think the decision process is similar to PC upgrades. Sure, you want to make sure that when you buy into a new platform it'll last, but at some point, you have to stop waiting for what's over the horizon and buy. In the smartphone space, buying and reselling used is much more viable than for PCs, so I find these upgrade decisions much less worrisome.
    edited November 2011
    Bingo. I'm hand-me-down city with my phones.
  • waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    i'm getting really fucking impatient for this thing. with the penny phone deals on amazon, i might just say fuck it and grab something else.