Best Co-Op Ever

RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature EnthusiastNew Mexico Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Gaming
Nowadays, multiplayer and cooperative modes are pretty synonymous if not the same in most games. Games like the Battlefield series and M.A.G. integrate small team co-op into BIG team multiplayer modes. Most MMO's are designed so you and your fellow mob of space goats, frog people, robots, or what have you, become more powerful as you work together. League of Legends and the Monster Hunter series invest in the relatively small, but tactically backed 3-5 man size. Others like Army of Two and F.E.A.R. 3 focus solely on the 2-man. Regardless of these specializations or diversity of the games, they all reach their full potential when you and your friends really work together as one multi-headed unit of awesome!
Now for the question: What has been the best cooperative game experience you have had with your friends, fellow Icrontians, or even complete strangers.

Comments

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Me being the rather typical socially awkward gamer, I don't have a long list of friends. Never had, doubt if that will change. So my choice is in the 2-4 man range: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. It was a blast for me, my brother, and our best friend. Distinct areas, interesting bosses, good graphics for the time, just a nice experience. The game as a whole was designed for co-op play. Solo was possible but just wasn't as satisfying, which brings in the main flaw: the co-op was only possible if you and your co-adventurers each had a Gameboy Advance and the cable to connect said device to the Gamecube. The more you invested in the game, the more it gave back, but this could be very costly if money was a major factor, but I digress. Me and my bro's dove into this game and enjoyed every bit of it. It was interesting and fun to play together, just a wonderful co-op experience.

Monster Hunter Tri would come in close but I haven't been able to get with a dedicated group yet.

Side-note.
    When I look back at this it makes me wonder if this is one of the things they plan to do with the WiiU later on. I do hope they try it again but do it properly this time.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I had an absolute gem of a time playing Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube with my two sons and my nephew. It was a fantastic four-player co-op RPG.
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    My older brother and I played through Crystal Chronicles together, which was pretty fun. We played Tales of Symphonia partway through then got distracted. It was a lot of fun while it lasted, though. I've been meaning to talk him into playing again.

However, I think Error and I have the most fun playing Borderlands and Portal 2 co-op. Our ways of thinking are just different enough to get some interesting solutions to puzzles (even the shooting people kind!)
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Pacifisto wrote:
    However, I think Error and I have the most fun playing Borderlands and Portal 2 co-op. Our ways of thinking are just different enough to get some interesting solutions to puzzles (even the shooting people kind!)

Couldn't say it better myself. Other than that, I don't remember doing a lot of co-op multiplayer.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I think the co-op I liked the most was L4D.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    River City Ransom. Where living the thug life means hangin out at the local sushi bar.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited November 2011
    Best co-op experience?

PS2: The Adventures of Cookie & Cream

A side scrolling co-op platformer.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Another vote for L4D. Older Co-Ops? Can't really remember any....
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Me and some of my friends are having a blast playing through the survival and coop missions in MW3 on PS3. Can't really remember playing any other coop games, if you rule out online gaming.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thought of one from old arcade days: operation wolf!!
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    My best co-op experience...hrm.

I guess I'd have to say playing Splinter Cell Conviction with ghbutler. The ridiculous things we'd do in that game.

That or quite possibly Nazi Zombies from COD WaW or survival in Undead Nightmare.
    edited November 2011
    Shorty wrote:
    Thought of one from old arcade days: operation wolf!!

Were the origional Operation Wolf cabinets co-op? I think Operation Thunderbolt was, seriously fun in the arcade. I'm pretty sure the NES Operation Wolf had a fun two player co-op where you used the D pad to control the targeting, but playing Operation Wolf with that gun in the arcade was revolutionary. I used to go to my local Skate Land as a kid, and while the other kids would skate I would play round after of Operation Wolf, but somehow I recall it being a single player cabinet.

The game was freaking Rad either way.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Metal Slug.

Nothing else comes close.
    edited November 2011
    Basil wrote:
    Metal Slug.

Nothing else comes close.

You know, you may have a point.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Black Hawk wrote:
    I think the co-op I liked the most was L4D.
  • PunnyFuzzPunnyFuzz victoria, BC
    edited November 2011
    Well, the last co-op thing I did with a friend was playing Kirby: Return to dreamland with Fitz(krieg), which I had to admit was a very nostalgic and immersive trip down memory lane. Doubt that this was my best co-op experience though, my memory can be fuzzy at times. I wonder if fitz emembers anything?
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    The original Series Sam had a badass 4-player co-op that kept us entertained at LAN parties for quite a while
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Madden NFL 2002

*edit, does WoW or everquest count?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Don't laugh:

Army of Two.

A friend and I had an absolute goddamn blast killing *everything in the world* and doing ridiculous shenanigans in the middle of it.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Borderlands.
    It's a decent game by itself, but when you get a party of friends with you, it's an absolute riot.
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Don't laugh:

Army of Two.

A friend and I had an absolute goddamn blast killing *everything in the world* and doing ridiculous shenanigans in the middle of it.

Why would we laugh? It was a game -built- around co-op. Honestly, playing single-player kinda sucked ass, but when you got a buddy to game with you, it's pretty damn nice.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Don't laugh:

Army of Two.

I forgot about that game. My buddy Andrew and I spent quite a while maxing out our characters and beating the game on all difficulties, really quite a good game.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Neverwinter Nights 2.
  • PunnyFuzzPunnyFuzz victoria, BC
    edited November 2011
    PunnyFuzz wrote:
    Well, the last co-op thing I did with a friend was playing Kirby: Return to dreamland with Fitz(krieg), which I had to admit was a very nostalgic and immersive trip down memory lane. Doubt that this was my best co-op experience though, my memory can be fuzzy at times. I wonder if fitz emembers anything?

Now I remember!

Monster hunter & Patapon 3
    and if any of you guys play with ad-hoc party fell free to PM me, and probably Fitz as well.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I love Co-op, and have enjoyed many of the titles previously mentioned by others. I'll try an throw out a few of the lesser-known.

Grimnoc and I have made it a point to stay connected by playing Co-op games since we graduated college in '07.

Despite the many blaring issues with the game, we had an absolute blast playing through Hellgate London together. That game was so broken, but dangit we had fun with it.

Tomb Raider: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was an incredibly fun coop experience. Grimnoc and I beat it in a few short hours, but they were pure gold. Despite all the crap that's come out of the Tomb Raider franchise, Guardian is a fantastic game.

I played quite a bit of Co-op in ArmA with an old buddy of mine. Super tactical, super realistic army FPS isn't for everyone, but we are both military buffs, so we loved playing the game. The coordination and cooperation was some of the tightest I have ever experienced in multiplayer gaming. We operated as if we were an actual military squad, and though we still struggled to defeat AI-controlled maps, it was a ton of fun.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Streets of Rage (all of them), Xmen (original), Serious Sam, Left 4 Dead are probably my favorite.
  • Bad-NeighborBad-Neighbor Columbus, OH
    edited November 2011
    Serious Sam: SE, in which we progressed in the game despite our best efforts. Overall, Left4Dead.
    Then there was the 4 player Simpsons arcade game.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Left4Dead 1 and 2... best coop game I've ever played. Hell... it's just about the only co-op game I could STAND playing, as most of the time I avoid co-op due to the proliferation of asshats on said games. Rarely have I ever had a bad experience with L4D though.

C&C RA3 was also pretty fun to play co-op. Nothing like teaming up for some campy RTS campaign goodness.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    proliferation of asshats on said games

Reminds me of playing Zelda: Four Swords with my brother. Made me want to beat the !@#$ out of him!:mad2:
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Gauntlet Legends. So much time at the arcade....