The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I got my wife a Droid Bionic, she is a power user, but the thing that sticks out at me as completely unappealing is the terrible battery life. Are all the dual core Android phones like this? Reviews had stated that of the current crop, the Bionic is actually about 10% better on battery life, and if that is better, it all kinda sucks. Can't use that thing for a couple hours without it taking a dive. What is the use of all that wireless power if you have to tether it all day?
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Are all the dual core Android phones like this? ... What is the use of all that wireless power if you have to tether it all day?

No, some single cores are also like this.

I have a Droid Charge (FroYo). It was a worthless tethered pile of crap. It would freeze constantly and battery would last 3-4 hours IDLE. If I went out of town and without a car charger I'd be SOL halfway through the trip. Stopping services and apps did nothing, I delete anything would even try to use the battery and it still drained.

I flashed a leaked build of Gingerbread, it now runs like a dream. The Nexus was on my watchlist, but now I think I'll make through my contract.

I feel bad for the 99% of Droid Charge users who are stuck with a pile, until an OTA release of GB ever is released.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Acquire Watchdog, track down whatever is misbehaving.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Butters wrote:
    No, some single cores are also like this.

I have a Droid Charge (FroYo). It was a worthless tethered pile of crap. It would freeze constantly and battery would last 3-4 hours IDLE. If I went out of town and without a car charger I'd be SOL halfway through the trip. Stopping services and apps did nothing, I delete anything would even try to use the battery and it still drained.

I flashed a leaked build of Gingerbread, it now runs like a dream. The Nexus was on my watchlist, but now I think I'll make through my contract.

I feel bad for the 99% of Droid Charge users who are stuck with a pile, until an OTA release of GB ever is released.

Cool, one of the reasons we picked the Bionic is because its supposed to get the ICS upgrade at some point. Hopefully that solves the poor battery life.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I LOLed:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6h5JSojJN3Y&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Well, its December 1st and still no official information on release or pre-order dates from Verizon.
    Also a few new rumors on release dates; The already known Dec 8th rumor, then a Dec 9th, and now a supposed screen shot proof of Best Buy getting the device IN STOCK on Dec 11th.... Which doesn't really prove a sell date.

The only information that has been release by Verizon is "Later this year"

Do you think that we will see this phone before Christmas??

It doesn't seem likely to me, I feel like they would already have released some information by now if it truly was releasing on Dec 8th. Seems like Canada might even get it before we do.

Although supposedly Samsung stated that it will launch in US the same date as Canada, and Canada is confirmed on the 8th. But I have yet to see proof of this statement. Just a bunch of websites claiming that Samsung stated this.

I can't buy myself a phone after Christmas. Its like a moral thing. I don't want people thinking that I bought myself a Christmas present etc etc. So im honestly thinking about picking up the Rezound this weekend, and using it until the GNex Release, and then just doing an exchange.

I really hope Verizon makes some sort of statement soon, Its prime Christmas shopping season, there has to be a bunch of people looking to buy phones as gifts, and no information on a new upcoming device just seems odd.

Lets hope it releases soon, a release around Christmas would likely mean a no-go for me. That is usually the time that I am done shopping and done spending money for a while.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Arbitrary.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    PS:
    I can't buy myself a phone after Christmas. Its like a moral thing.

(That's ethics, not morals :p )
    edited December 2011
    PS:

(That's ethics, not morals :p )

My bad, I suck at this stuff. :D
    This is why English is currently the most challenging course that I have this semester.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    omghurryup.png

omghurryup.png
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I stopped at the local Verizon store on my way home from work yesterday. They have the phones in the back room, ready to go. The rep I talked to said it looks like the 8th really is the release date.
    edited December 2011
    Well there is a new rumor going around now, that it will launch for Verizon on Dec 9th, and Best Buy wont launch until the following Monday (Dec 12th).

Either way, the 8th or 9th, ill be happy.

I think I would be more happy waiting one more day until the 9th, because I work 7am to 4pm on the 8th, and im worried that by the time I get up to Verizon (5-6pm) they will all be gone. However on the 9th, I don't work until 4pm.

I have never bought a phone on the day of its release. I always ended up getting them a month or more after. In the case of my OG Droid, I got it about 6 months after.

- So how does it work, are there normally long waiting lines?
    - Do you think the GNex will sell out?,
    - or no because there hasn't been much advertising and only the people that keep up with it online would know?

I really wanted them to do a pre-order because if they sell out before I get my hands on one, and I have to wait another 2 weeks, im gonna be pretty bummed out. But its getting kind of late for pre-orders isn't it?
    edited December 2011
    The Verizon rep told me the only phone he's ever sold out on is the iPhone. He also said worst case is they're out and they next-day-ship it to you.
    edited December 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    The Verizon rep told me the only phone he's ever sold out on is the iPhone. He also said worst case is they're out and they next-day-ship it to you.

Nice :D, now im a little less worried.
    edited December 2011
    I am also betting on Dec 8th or 9th.
    My girlfriend was at best buy today trying to check out an iphone 4s for herself (Which they didn't have) and she asked the worker about the Galaxy Nexus and she said he smirked and said "im not suppose to say this, but sometime this week or next week"

Also it seems as though a lot of people online are thinking that Verizon might finally officially announce it tomorrow. I guess we'll see.
    edited December 2011
    Yesterday afternoon Verizon experienced a system-wide LTE outage. Their engineers are working on fixing the problem.

The Galaxy Nexus's release date, which had been bumped to Friday, has been pushed out again - it's rumored to be the 13th.

Since all of the Verizon stores have the Galaxy Nexus in stock in their back rooms, I do not think the two events are unrelated. The new release date will give Verizon time to fix whatever the problem is and release the phone with a working LTE network.

It's a pain in the ass, to be sure. Personally I'd be fine buying the phone right now knowing that I won't get better than 3G until service is restored, but I understand that the vast majority of their customer base might have an issue and a couple of crazies would probably sue over it. You know, because it somehow traumatized them.
    edited December 2011
    Just bought the pentaband Galaxy Nexus for $685 shipped. It'll be waiting for me in Detroit when I get home this week.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Jelly. I still holding on to hope that T-mo ends up officially carrying this phone. Without the subsidized price, I won't be touching this device until I have a new job. Can't dish out cash like that for an unlocked device at this time.
    edited December 2011
    Maybe, but over the lifetime of the contract you'll end up paying $920 for a ~$650 phone. Not a deal.
    edited December 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Maybe, but over the lifetime of the contract you'll end up paying $920 for a ~$650 phone. Not a deal.

I disagree, but only because I'm paying the data plan prices anyway. On Verizon there's no cost difference for contract/non-contract voice, data, or texting. Only difference is a two year contract.
    edited December 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    I disagree, but only because I'm paying the data plan prices anyway. On Verizon there's no cost difference for contract/non-contract voice, data, or texting. Only difference is a two year contract.

I was speaking specifically to T-Mobile, his preferred carrier.
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, but what difference does it make if I have zero interest in leaving T-mo? Verizon blows, and I hate AT&T. I've been very happy with everything T-mo has been for me in the last 2.5 years.

I'm going to give them my money regardless.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Thrax... I have T-Mo and being in contract or out of contract, the price is the same. There isn't a fee for the subsidized phones. The "fee" is that you cannot leave or change your contract for the two years without paying a canceling fee.
    edited December 2011
    Actually, I believe you get $30 off of your monthly bill if you don't subsidize a phone on T-Mobile. I have read this several times.

Does anyone really believe that the entire monthly bill is just for services? No, they want you to pay that phone off, and then some.

So, it's actually cheaper over the 2 years to buy the phone outright up front, then take the discount.

EDIT: Source

EDIT 2:

Unlimited talk + text + 2GB data + SUBSIDIZED = $79/month

500 talk + unlimited text + 2GB data + SUBSIDIZED = $69/month

Unlimited talk + text + 2GB data + UNSUBSIDIZED = $59/month

500 talk + unlimited text + 2GB data + UNSUBSIDIZED = $49/month

Assuming the GNex is $229 on contract (T-Mo's recent price for high-end Android), then you'll end up paying anywhere from $30 to nearly $300 more over the life of the phone than if you were to just buy it.
    edited December 2011
    I'm not currently on contract (was saving up my renewal credit for the new phone), so it'll remain cheaper if I stay off contract and just buy the phone?

It only brings confusion because my monthly payment hasn't changed from my on contract days to off contract.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I'm not currently on contract (was saving up my renewal credit for the new phone), so it'll remain cheaper if I stay off contract and just buy the phone?

It only brings confusion because my monthly payment hasn't changed from my on contract days to off contract.

you need the call them. they won't automatically charge you less. that makes no sense business wise
    edited December 2011
    Once you go off-contract, you continue month-by-month at the same rate you had.

No matter what, you are looking at another 2-year contract:
    -Subsidize the phone for $230? You renew for 2 years.
    -Don't subsidize, but opt for the reduced-price I-brought-my-own-phone plan? You renew for two years.

If you don't want a contract at all, just buy the phone full and swap SIMs, but T-Mo will not reduce your rate this way.
    edited December 2011
    Thrax, does Sprint offer non-subsidized plans?

(I'm looking now but not seeing fud)
    edited December 2011
    I don't think so.
    edited December 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I don't think so.

yea I found my answer on the sprint forums
    Sprint wrote:
    Sprint's plans are the same price regardless of what you paid for the device.

In addition, if you are activating a new line of service it requires a 2 year contract even if you choose not to use the subsidy.

But, I DO get unlimited Data so oh well win some lose some