The Real Man's Home Theatre

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Sonorous wrote:
    WHAAAAAA????? :eek2::wtf::confused:

To each his own I guess, but I could never have a nice ass screen with out some nice ass speakers to go with it.

live in a duplex, so :sad2:
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Magic might still have his Klipsch speakers and Denon receiver for sale (awesome speakers, and he was selling them for much cheaper than what they are worth). I don't think he ever sold them, unless he decided to keep them.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    live in a duplex, so :sad2:

You don't have to play music and movies loud to enjoy a good set of speakers silly :wink:

Just something to look into for the future man. I see speakers as an investment, but then again most of my hobbies involve audio something. I guess I'm partial to the audio side of things.
    edited December 2011
    Sonorous wrote:
    You don't have to play music and movies loud to enjoy a good set of speakers silly :wink:

Just something to look into for the future man. I see speakers as an investment, but then again most of my hobbies involve audio something. I guess I'm partial to the audio side of things.

What would you recommend then for $300-600? I'm talking Reciever and all the speakers/sub. 5.1 is enough, my ears are not good enough for 7.1

Remember, I only spent $999 on the projector, so spending $1000+ on home theater sound will not happen
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Receiver + pair of good floorstanders.
    edited December 2011
    Basil wrote:
    Receiver + pair of good floorstanders.

won't have the room for floorstanders. I have ~6"-8" between screen and wall.

the front L and R speakers I have now are 5" H x 4" W
    edited December 2011
    To be honest fatcat, if you are happy with your current audio set up then there is no need to upgrade. I had a home theater in a box for years before I started putting together my 5.1 system. I find I get more enjoyment out of music and movies if I have a nice set of speakers, but not everyone has ears like I do.(Not saying yours are worthless pieces of shit or anything) So if you really don't feel like you would benefit from an upgrade right now, then why waste even 300 dollars, you know? Maybe wait until you have a better space so you can really open up to the world of home audio.

That being said and because I'm curious, lets get some info on this Pioneer system you have.
    edited December 2011
    finding any info on the web doesn't seem to go too well (maybe because it's so old lol)
    I got it at Best Buy oh, 7 years ago.

L10453783.jpg

Pioneer SX-315
    Dolby Digital/Pro Logic II and DTS Decoders
    96 kHz / 24-Bit Digital to Analog converter
    4-mode sound field control
    Five channel stereo
    Bass boost
    Bass & Treble control
    Six channel speaker balance adjust (Front x 2, Center, Surround x 2, Subwoofer)
    Quiet mode
    Game mode
    Three analog audio inputs
    Three digital inputs (2 coax, 1 optical)
    One analog audio output
    Wireless speaker pre-output
    Compatible with XW-HT1
    Headphone Output
    AM/FM Tuner with 30 Station Pre-Sets
    Sleep Timer
    Easy Connection
    Remote Control
    Room Setup
    Quick-start set-up manual

pioneer_sx_315_5_1_1000w_surround_sound_system_65f6ff6e51235ef221f7ec46830c27df.jpg
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    How loud is the projecter?
    edited December 2011
    MAGIC wrote:
    How loud is the projecter?

22dB in ECO, 28dB in Normal

Is 7ft. up on a shelf.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    get some high-quality headphones:
    + no noise complaints
    + great sound instead of crap
    + a really good pair is still less than home theater
    - still does not replace home theater when guests are over
    edited December 2011
    sharky, I LOVE how you pop in to Icrontic at the weirdest damn times
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    hehe i'm always here in spirit though xD
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I assume he just stops in between ut2k4 training sessions.
    edited December 2011
    Okay I'm looking at some receivers, really like the HDMI in part (AMD HD6570 does 7.1 audio) and wanted to get some thoughts on a brand

I see Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, Polk Audio, Denon Pioneer etc.

I'm liking this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120192 with the slim floorstanding front speakers

But I also think 5.1 is enough and see speakers like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105655 just need to add a receiver
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    But I also think 5.1 is enough and see speakers like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105655 just need to add a receiver

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117395

IF you plan to use it for mostly the uses it is set up/designed for. We need to know what sources of music you will be using to really give you best results.
    edited December 2011
    I would take Onkyo over Sony. It's more of a preference thing for me though. I am not familiar with Onkyo's HTIB sets so I don't feel like I can really voice a fair opinion on how they sound so I'll have to base it off the given specifications. I do use an Onkyo receiver for my home theater and I have had zero issues with it. It works 100% of the time and is rather feature rich for a pre-HDMI receiver.

Looking at the two links, the Sony set up looks to have a decent subwoofer, but the rest of the speakers don't seem too hot. The larger drivers on the Onkyo rig will most likely sound better in the mid and high range area even though the sensitivity is lower than what I would like. You do get what you pay for so I wouldn't expect a 91dB sensitivity anyways. Just something to note.

Overall the Onkyo leaves you more options to upgrade over time due to the included receiver. As far as a starting point goes, it seems like a great buy at $750 price point right now. It would likely be the option I would take if I were in the market.
    edited December 2011
    What if I could get this http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S8409&class=Systems&p=i for $650

Good deal or is there something better?
    edited December 2011
    I would take that deal fatcat. The MSRP on that is $1000.
    edited December 2011
    Sonorous wrote:
    I would take that deal fatcat. The MSRP on that is $1000.

I actually took the S7409 for $480. Same receiver as the S8409 (TX-NR609) but only 5.1 channel speakers(Receiver has 7.1 for future upgarde) 7.1 is not a big deal to me. OH, I HEAR BIRDS lol and picked up some front speaker stands

HT-S7409forsite.jpg

Onkyo-TX-NR609-Rear.jpg

673284.jpg

heh. looking at the photos, looks like the Receiver can handle 5.1/7.1/5.2/7.2/9.1/9.2 etc etc etc
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it can output 9.*. It doesn't have enough binding posts for the speakers to hook up to unless it some how uses zone 2 for the extra two channels (which is unlikely.) It most likely will accept a 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and 9.1 source but only outputs at 7.1 . Hate to burst your bubble there fatcat.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, the zone 2 stuff is for listening to something different on a pair of speakers somewhere else in the house.

All those ports and only 2 TOSLink. What is this world coming to... -sigh- :p
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Pfft, toslink. Can't do anything that HDMI 1.4 can't already do.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    But it's sound via LIGHT!

There will always be a special place in my heart for TOSlink.
    edited December 2011
    Sonorous wrote:
    I don't think it can output 9.*. It doesn't have enough binding posts for the speakers to hook up to unless it some how uses zone 2 for the extra two channels (which is unlikely.) It most likely will accept a 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and 9.1 source but only outputs at 7.1 . Hate to burst your bubble there fatcat.

none bursted, it was more of sarcasm. 5.1 is enough for me

it does have two subwoofer pre-outs, so wouldn't that be X.2 also?
    edited December 2011
    TOSlink is junk. COAX digital far superior.

But I will be using the HDMI out from the HD6570 for audio anyways. Less cables = WIN
    edited December 2011
    You have a sub preout for 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 and then a separate preout for zone 2. So no *.2
    edited December 2011
    Sonorous wrote:
    You have a sub preout for 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 and then a separate preout for zone 2. So no *.2

Onkyo disagrees with you

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR609&class=Receiver&p=i
    Onkyo wrote:
    the 7.2-channel configuration includes twin subwoofer pre-outs for added bass impact.

# Channels 7.2

to me, I'll probably never use two subs, but just so you know
    edited December 2011
    Well sweet. I might buy one of these when I see a good price.