Twitter buys Tweetdeck, takes several steps backwards

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried metro twit? I was under impression it was the cat's ass of tweeter apps :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard of it. Checking it out now. Thanks for the heads up :)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I haven't used the new Tweetdeck, but from everyone I follow that used it, I haven't heard a single positive thing about it. Pretty telling.

Correct me if I'm wrong though - I'm not sure I get your first fail (a pretty button for where to type your tweet) On the 'old' Tweetdeck, there's a button that does just that - the input field is hidden until you click it.

Is there a functionality difference in the new Tweedeck with this button? Does the button not open a proper text field?
    edited December 2011
    The old tweetdeck, you can choose to hide the interface window if you want; but by default, it's open. On the new Tweetdeck it opens a pop up window in the center of the screen.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Ahhh, I see. My Tweetdeck has been configured for who knows how long to default to the text input area hidden from load.

And a pop up window to write a tweet? ewww.
    edited December 2011
    Well I spent the evening with MetroTwit. It looks freaking gorgeous, very slick, very modern. I wish I could use it, but alas it also lacks easy list management.
    edited December 2011
    Also there's a giant annoying ad on the top of the main column.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I have never twitter tweeted anyone. Ever. Do they still have the 140 character limit? That would get in my way a lot.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    The difference I've noted as sub-optimal is that the new version doesn't show you the entire thread of a conversation when you are replying to one of the tweets in the thread. The previous version did that. Otherwise, I'm just rolling with the differences. I probably don't use it intensively enough to notice most of the other changes (I've never used lists, for example)
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    They've also changed the chrome app. Not seeing the person's handle really bothers me. Some of the people I followed I'm not particularly familiar with their names.

Edit: At least here's a setting to change it, but I hate that it's the default.
  • edited December 2011
    I erased old tweetdeck ( not sure why ) can't stand the new tweetdeck. Can I re install the adobe air version or am I SOL
    edited December 2011
    You can still reinstall the old Tweetdeck
    edited January 2012
    Wow, I just realized that the old version is now pulled from their site and is very hard to find.

Icrontic will host it. You can download Tweetdeck 0.38.2 here (AIR version).
    edited December 2011
    <blockquote>The difference I've noted as sub-optimal is that the new version doesn't show you the entire thread of a conversation when you are replying to one of the tweets in the thread. The previous version did that. Otherwise, I'm just rolling with the differences. I probably don't use it intensively enough to notice most of the other changes (I've never used lists, for example)</blockquote>

However: My discovery today that I can clear a column of posts - an option I could never find in the old version - has turned me. I now prefer the new one. "These pipes are clean!"
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Old version:

w0Hhk.png
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I guess I'm real old school running 0.37.6?
    edited December 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Old version:

w0Hhk.png

Sorry, I should clarify. I use the Chrome app, which is (was) slightly different. It was when I switched from the desktop client to the Chrome app that the button disappeared for me.
    edited December 2011
    The chrome app is ok-ish, although the naming stuff still bothers me. I can't imagine being a power user and using it though.
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I would like to complain about something again.

I've integrated facebook and used to be able to reply inline...now, nope. I see absolutely no way to append a reply to an individual's post from facebook.
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I would like to complain about something again.

I've integrated facebook and used to be able to reply inline...now, nope. I see absolutely no way to append a reply to an individual's post from facebook.

I hadn't noticed that until just a few minutes ago, that sucks.

Also: I just found that the 'clear' button only worked once per column. It wont clear anything that has arrived since I first cleared the columns. :/
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Are we at all surprised they're breaking Facebook functionality? Now that Tweetdeck is owned by Twitter, I'd expect to see a lot more functionality for non-Twitter networks to be stripped out slowly but surely.

As for me, I've switched to HootSuite. Way more functional and the UI is much better since they redesigned it. Also has the benefit of being a webapp so I can use it in Firefox which is nice since Chrome now throws errors on both my Windows boxes every time I launch it and I haven't been able to find any way to fix it.
    edited December 2011
    If someone makes a twitter, facebook, G+ integration (once Google makes it possible) I'll be switching like a boss, even if it's mostly crap.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Agreed. Pity that Google designed G+ as a service instead of a platform. I read the rant one of their employees "accidentally" posted publicly and couldn't agree more.
  • Longtime user of TweetDeck, the new version loses every feature that made the old one a must-use app. Now TweetDeck is little better than the nearly useless web-interface for Twitter. Trying to manage thousands of followers just got much, much harder. Why Twitter decided that the people who use it the most should be punished for the service's success is beyond me. What's most galling about this is that the design and usability decisions clearly indicate that this app is the product of people who have never used Twitter in their lives - or who got an account while they had the contract to produce this dud and had 12 followers who were their family at home. What was a pro-level app is now just fluff and not useful to power users. But then again, we are sadly saying that so much about the Mac experience anymore, from the vinyl-rooftop look of Address Book to the silly paper paradigm circa 1982 of Calendar. It's all Jump the Shark.
    edited December 2011
    Longtime user of TweetDeck, the new version loses every feature that made the old one a must-use app. Now TweetDeck is little better than the nearly useless web-interface for Twitter. Trying to manage thousands of followers just got much, much harder. Why Twitter decided that the people who use it the most should be punished for the service's success is beyond me. What's most galling about this is that the design and usability decisions clearly indicate that this app is the product of people who have never used Twitter in their lives - or who got an account while they had the contract to produce this dud and had 12 followers who were their family at home. What was a pro-level app is now just fluff and not useful to power users. But then again, we are sadly saying that so much about the Mac experience anymore, from the vinyl-rooftop look of Address Book to the silly paper paradigm circa 1982 of Calendar. It's all Jump the Shark.
    Couldn't agree with you more.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I just realized that the old version is now pulled from their site and is very hard to find.

Icrontic will host it. You can download Tweetdeck 0.38.2 here (AIR version).
    File not found on the download :(

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    BROKEN LINK! MIGRATION FAILURE!

:p
    Thanks!
    I fixed the download link on Icrontic as well.