[BLOG] My WoW experience - Day 2

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Well last night I played for about 3 hours. I did some more local quests, leveled up a bit, and started venturing out into the wider world. I got a decent grip on how to fight properly, cast spells, and how to stay alive when Kaitolainen is getting gangbanged by three enemies at once. However, I realized last night that unless I sat there and leveled up a LOT, there would be no way to complete the quest I was working on.

Kaitolainen was told to go into a mine and kill 5 specific monsters. While not terribly difficult themselves, they were surrounded by quite a number of underlings which quickly mobbed me and defeated me no matter what I tried.

I realized then that I needed a group.

I tried the "Looking for group" interface, but was baffled by it.

Then I saw a guy running by that was the same level as me, followed by a guy who was 4 levels higher. I used the only chat function I knew - hit "enter" and type something (which shouts it to everyone around you)

"Hey Ipmala.... I need help. Want to go to Palemane Rock with me?"

For the next hour, Ipmala (who was also a complete newbie, much to my delight) and his higher level friend taught me how to group, how to whisper, and do the other things that make playing with others function properly. We went on to help Ipmala with two of his quests and finished two of Kaitolainen's quests as well. I also made a friend. Turns out the player behind Ipmala is close to my age and we happen to both be fans of beer.

This brings me back to the days of making friends on Final Fantasy XI. Of course, playing these games alone is basically discouraged by the difficulty of the quests. I'm not saying it can't be done, but playing with others is the root of the 'fun' in these games.

Stay tuned for Day 3, when I start to learn about crafting and I go to my first big city.

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    2 points that I advise to any new WoW player. Pick up "cartographer" and "quest helper" addons, from curse.com. They make that learning curve a bit easier as they give you the associated levels with the quests you pick up and map out where you need to go.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    That pretty much ruins the immersion of the game. Prime is approaching it as a total noob with no outside help.
  • FreshyPFreshyP Don Cheadle Cyberspace Icrontian
    Yep, I don't want any help, especially of that sort. I don't want the curve to be easy :p

edit: oops, I'm at my son's computer :D
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    I managed to get to 60 by working alone, then stopped. It was pretty fun and I enjoyed it but it did mean I rarely did anything more than a 5-man in the instances because finding a group was difficult. The main thing I would have wanted was a group of friends to run the game with but it is so difficult to get schedules which work for that. It was pretty disappointing to miss out on some of the bigger bosses because I could never get a good group together.

I'd impart some more knowledge (like crafting sucks and will never get you anything good without help) but I'm afraid it would be outdated because I don't know how the game has changed since I stopped playing.