[BLOG] Shaving soap woes

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
I gotta come clean. I think I jumped the gun when it came to recommending Cade shaving soap a while back. I'm extremely frustrated with it right now.

When you first start using it, the amount of lather you get off the puck is amazing. Soap clings to your brush and erupts into a wonderful lather that fills your saving bowl. It's awesome for the first few weeks. Then things go awry.

blog_attachment.php?attachmentid=24&stc=1&d=1227636638

It must have something to do with stamping the label onto the bar of soap. I've worn through the bar to the point where you can no longer see where the stamped letter and logos once were, and underneath the wonderful soap is a rock hard puck that produces nothing but froth and foam. I can't get a decent lather without 15-20 minutes of fighting. Warm water doesn't seem to help soften the puck, and a wet brush only aggravates the problem. I don't know what to do.

My Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood soap, on the other hand, has gotten better with age. It owns face when I need to get a good lather and have a good shave. I'm favoring reliability over hit-and-miss heaven and hell.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    lol rock.

I've been having great success with Susie's soaps (She's actually a member of the forums). In fact, I'm running low and I'm gonna order a new one. You should give it a shot.
  • bjbroderickbjbroderick Clinton Township, MI
    This might sound kind of simplistic, but have you tried the other side? I have no experiential knowledge on shave soap, but it is something I have wanted to try...
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    I've been using Col. Conk's with much success. Currently I've got almond in my mug. Smells great and lathers like a charm.