[BLOG] Go tell it on the mountain

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Okay, it wasn't a mountain. It was a foothill, about 600' according to google maps:

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,305.1313981784034,,0,4.062681968167701&cbll=33.792496,-117.792989&panoid=&v=1&hl=en&gl=us"></iframe><br />

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Orange,+CA&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=24.652902,56.601563&ie=UTF8&ll=33.804256,-117.844849&spn=0.050359,0.11055&t=p&z=13&layer=c&cbll=33.792496,-117.792989&panoid=EcknB8P0Ayoo3LtC0UQ4Cg&cbp=12,305.1313981784034,,0,4.062681968167701&quot; style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a>

Look up there - trust me, that looks intimidating as hell from where I was standing.

I have never seen a live, wild cactus before, and this hill was covered with them, so I wanted to go up and take photos. Rob and I walked up what started to be a relatively easy path that took a very gently slope up the side of the hill.

We got to a point where the main trail sort of ended, and stood there for a while and stared off at the view. That was when I decided I was going to try for the top. I don't think Rob really expected me to keep going, and to be honest, neither did I, but I didn't let that stop me.

The incline started getting more severe; I had to take embarrassingly frequent rests on the way up. Still, I was determined to make it to the top. After about a half hour, we crested the last rise and found ourselves at the peak.

I am very proud of myself for making it up that hill. Two weeks ago, I definitely would not have been able to get up there. Things changed.

We hung out at the top, goofing off, taking photos, and just being guys for a while and then began our descent.

Given the choice between the two, I'd say the ascent was more difficult, but the descent was more painful; never more than this was I reminded that my knees are kind of bad. Going down was painful and I had to take extreme care to take very small steps lest my right knee give out. Rob has also had a knee injury in the past and was having trouble descending as well. We took it extremely slow and cautiously. I can't really describe it much more other than to say; the whole way down I was in pain.

When we got to the main trail where the slope was gentle again, it was a big relief. We took a few more crazy photos, got stabbed by some cacti, and finally made it back to Rob's place.

Tonight we walked the dogs again, for about 20 minutes, through the hilly roads. I believe that with the hill climb and the dog walk, this has been one of my more intense exercise days.

Unfortunately, my water intake has been suffering. I have not had nearly enough water today.

Now I have a secret confession: My pants are fitting slightly looser. I think I may need to start wearing a belt. I am actually beginning to notice a difference.

Like many people who have gained a lot of weight over some period of time, I have several pairs of brand new and/or rarely worn jeans that I have put away for when I lose weight. I cannot wait for the day I get to wear one of those pairs. To think, I almost threw them away a few months ago.

See you tomorrow!

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    You're in a flippin' desert man, get lots of water!

This is awesome. Keep taking advantage of those SoCal hills while you're out there. Like I mentioned, hills are my favorite method of upping intensity. In theory simple, but really push your body.

Careful with your knees, all it takes is one injury to halt the exercise altogether. Perhaps a simple knee brace may be a good idea for the more intense days. Seems you're taking it cautiously enough that outside of a freak event a major injury shouldn't occur...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    We'll have to keep you hydrated today... great news about the pants though!
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    Hey Brian your doin great.
    I have been following your progress daily for the last couple weeks. Your attitude seems to be in the right place. The attitude is a really import part of all this ! I would really like to make it to the expo this year and see the transformation for myself.
    As you know my wife has been through a rough patch as of late. She has adopted the saying " Things are lookin up " which she borrowed from a kid in this Kaiser commercial.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7O693mzp6M&feature=PlayList&p=364252926FF16B89&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

It sounds to me like things are also lookin up for you !

Great commercial. I love the "The drinkin was the worst " !!!
    Keep up the good work and say hi to Rob for me.

Ps. Holly is doing great !!

Scott
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Scott, I cannot tell you how much that means to me; you guys have been through hell and back and really held your heads high through it all. I truly appreciate the kind words!

Thank you, and super hugs for Holly! An absolute soldier, that girl :D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    You'll walk Rob's dog but not your own. For shame. :p
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian