[BLOG] Three miles to a better you

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Three miles crushed; I set off to do two, felt great, decided to keep going.

I swear sometimes I am at my peak when I get only a tiny bit of sleep. I slept only two hours last night, because I had to get up early to face my mountain of technical stress, get to a studio, and finish cutting my video review by the end of the day. I got the kids off to school, then tried to get back to sleep but various distractions wouldn't allow it. Finally I got to the studio and everything fell into place; the poor editor was given no advance warning of my arrival, I gave him total garbage in a variety of formats to work with, and his boss (my friend) basically gave him two hours to cut this video from scratch. He was a hero; got the job done, and sent me off with a smile on my face.

Things picked up from there; I got the review finished and published, and met my deadline. Jeff showed up with pizza for the kids (hero!), Scotty showed up with a bunch of snacks, and we had the first barbecue of spring. I was feeling sassy and inspired so I made some excellent chicken with the critical seven Indian spices; it was incredible. I also got in a great conversation with a sexy new friend.

After a rousing round of TF2 with the Icrontic crew (during which I did some incredible spycraft, if I do say so myself ... poor Nemikan), I sat back and realized; I had a great day.

On to the walk:

My right knee is definitely bothering me. Jeanelle suggested a knee brace, and she's not the first. I experienced no fatigue, no muscle pain, and I didn't break pace for the entire three miles. Now that I'm sitting here writing this, my knee hurts.

It may be a bit premature to think this, but my pants are feeling looser; I kept having to pull them up as I walked. It may be belt time soon.

I ate well today; if I could have a day like today everyday, this would be no problem.

Comments

• jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    It's not premature, your definitely starting to slim down. nice work my friend. keep at it
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    "the critical seven Indian spices"

this made me giggle.

you are doing awesome! you should think about taking full-body pictures every week or so, you may not be able to tell now but when you compare a couple of months' worth of photos, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. and then you can post awesome before and after pics... i've heard people like that sort of thing.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    I'm really glad to see you still going with this; both the walking and the blogging. If you haven't started already, the next thing to tackle is diet. All the walking in the world won't help if you aren't creating a calorie deficit. I'm sure it's been suggested, but you should be tracking your progress with FitDay or something like it. You need to know exactly where you stand and where you need to adjust.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    I'm glad you're back into the swing of things. You had that proverbial monkey on your back, and I think he's finally given up. Walking isn't high stress on the bones, but guys like you and me carry a lot of weight, so it's more than most people. Wear the brace, even if your knees don't hurt. The extra support will help until your body gets used to the stresses of a long walk. I'm proud of you. And 7% gay for you. Well maybe 11%. Well maybe a little gayer than I thought.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    and I'm the lucky fellow that get's to follow Kwitko's post. Outstanding.

The thing I noticed about weight loss... I didn't start to notice a discernible difference in myself for a long time. I'd look in the mirror and be frustrated at my apparent lack of progression. Suddenly, after a few months, it hit me visually. It's such a small progression on a day-to-day basis, but eventually you'll hit a point visually where you can definitely tell it's working.

And any confirmation of progress like that only served to pump me up even more in my outings following said confirmation.

Fitday is a good call. And so is the knee brace. I believe they can get expensive, you may want to ask around and borrow one if someone you know has one they don't use.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    lol way to read, Mason. Way to click on the links :p
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    OH HEY.

/me feels silly

I didn't see that one there at the bottom. Good work.

I started using FitDay on Sunday and I've been excited to recommend it to any/everybody.

:cheers:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Eat slightly less carbs, eat slightly more protein. Add 300 calories to your diet and your weight will probably come off faster.

You're eating way, way less than you need to be, and you're going to hit a wall.

Even for your thyroid condition.