The "Everything is Different" Vanilla feature and bug discussion

Comments

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Ahhhh I'm 9 and what is this?!
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    @ardichoke under profile, my preferences: uncheck boxes.
    The popup system seems to be lagging behind. No big deal, but I saw I had gotten a notification, and cheked it. Ok, return to main page. Ten minutes later, the popup says I got the notification. As i said, no biggie, but just FYI.
    In a serious post, there's no place to comment on the TF2 Holidays news post.
    Where is the button for flagging a single thread as read (not entire forum)? Like in the old days, you would just double click the symbol, if you know what I mean... Also, what button sends me straight to the last unread post in a thread (like the little arrow in the old days)? Now it just seems to sent me to the top of the thread..
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    @Jokke Well, on every page of a thread, Vanilla puts first post of thread at top, then next page worth - takes some getting used to.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Also, what button sends me straight to the last unread post in a thread (like the little arrow in the old days)? Now it just seems to sent me to the top of the thread..
    It looks like it's supposed to be sending us directly to the first unread by clicking, but it's only working on single page threads. Mutli-page threads just send you to the top of the last page. At first, I thought it was arbirtary. I didn't notice the pattern until this thread went from one page to two, and stopped working correctly.

@straight_man @CB Thanks, I noticed now. It'll be fixed someday, I'm sure.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    @CB That the "Flag" link is above the Bookmark star is an unfortunatey coincidence from my last minute hackery ("The OP options are missing!? SHIT!"). I will move them apart. They are 2 separate functions.

Likewise, the lack of clarity in paging was a late-stage realization and will be fixed.

Yes, the thumbnail editor resets every time. It's just how it works.

@BHHammy What browser? Can you clear your cache and check again?

@Gargoyle Don't click "Delete Discussion" and we'll make it! :p
    @Jokke The notifications require you to be on the page for 30 seconds before they trigger. I may speed it up. For now, they will simply wait until you stop for 30 seconds.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Um, Vanilla is sensitive to two sessions logged in from same user at same time - it slows down noticeably. Also, I have had lags even with old Icrontic with Firefox 8.0 and put it down to a very loaded server. However, I am running Firefox 8.0.1 in Windows 7 right now with almost no lag.

So, if 8.0 lags try upgrading it to 8.0.1 -- one of the things fixed is that it caches less stuff which means it sorts through less when you hit same page again. YMMV as large caches in browsers can also cause them to lag at the sites they cached a lot of -- clean out cache and history if you have continued lags, but avoid cleaning out cookies if possible.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    anyway to change the font size? it is stupid huge

are "New Posts" and "Go to first unread post" coming back?

What about signatures? And some hyperlinks don't hyperlink, they just open another tab of the same discussion I'm viewing
    @fatcat
    It looks like it's supposed to be sending us directly to the first unread by clicking, but it's only working on single page threads.

For new posts, the "All" tab shows how many new posts in yellow under the title.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    I like it.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Should take some time to get used to but I'm liking the change. Good job Keebs.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    anyway to change the font size? it is stupid huge
    Probably not, unless it becomes a premium theme
    are "New Posts" and "Go to first unread post" coming back?
    New posts are posts with an indicator showing the number of new posts (yellow). Not sure about "go to first unread".
    What about signatures?
    Those are never coming back.
    And some hyperlinks don't hyperlink, they just open another tab of the same discussion I'm viewing
    That's a Matt question.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Pretty disappointed to learn sigs are never coming back. They're a pretty essential component of the forum experience, imo.

Alas. Site looks good. Nicely done.
    anyway to change the font size?
    ctrl + [mousewheeldown]?

• TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Lots of badges show that no one has them, yet they show up in people's "My Badges" section.

Pic:

Also: Things look good. Going to take some getting used to. Feels very... facebooky? Redditish?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    anyway to change the font size?
    ctrl + [mousewheeldown]?

that changes the entire site.

It feels like vanilla is now 18/20/22? size font instead of what it was (10/12?)

on a 30" and 24" monitor its huge.

NOW, the quoted part of this post, the font size is smaller, and about the size preferable
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    No sigs at all, not even for first post on the page (like we had it setup for vBulletin)? Kind of a bummer, but what I really, really miss are the user titles that were displayed under the avatar. Feels like we've lost a lot of character per user without either a sig or the titles.

I recall a conversation when Linc tested the removal of user titles a year or so ago, and we realized that they played a big role in personality, so they were added back in.
    Yeah I'd like to see both back; perhaps a compromise that disallows links, formatting, and images in sigs. But I agree 100% that they definitely add a lot of personality to the site.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I would be totally fine with streamlining signatures to make them less gaudy, huge and annoying. I've learned to hate elaborate sigs like that over the years.

Side note - holy crap Vanilla is effective. I just want to sit here all day and post because of how dynamic the flow is. This is nuts.
    (I was just informed that the user titles aren't actually lost... they're in the DB)
    edited December 2011
    @TiberiusLazarus Yeah, several bugs exist in the reputation system. I'm literally coding that part on the fly. We're one of the first few sites to get Vanilla's badge/rep system deployed. It's going to be changing dramatically over the next few weeks.

@Thrax @UPSLynx I hate signatures to death. If they come back it will be in extremely limited format. User titles are likely to return but I gotta code that from scratch. What I really want to work on is enhancing profiles further.
    (I was just informed that the user titles aren't actually lost... they're in the DB)
    They're still in our profiles, along with our 'location' which hasn't been displayed anywhere else in a long time.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@Thrax @UPSLynx I hate signatures to death. If they come back it will be in extremely limited format. User titles are likely to return but I gotta code that from scratch. What I really want to work on is enhancing profiles further.
    Given the number of people that utilized them on the old IC, they were clearly important to many users. :) Restrict it to text formatting/URLs and call it a day.
  • @ardichoke under profile, my preferences: uncheck boxes.
    Yeah, for some reason I couldn't find that on my phone. As soon as I looked at the site on a computer it jumped right out at me.

• @Thrax @UPSLynx I hate signatures to death. If they come back it will be in extremely limited format. User titles are likely to return but I gotta code that from scratch. What I really want to work on is enhancing profiles further.
    Given the number of people that utilized them on the old IC, they were clearly important to many users. :) Restrict it to text formatting/URLs and call it a day.
    I dunno that I agree with you. I'd expect that people just set them because they were there (I know I did anyway). Also, I'm willing to bet that most people ignored everyone else's signature (once again, I know I did). I couldn't tell you what anyone else's signature was if my life depended on it.
    I care not about signatures, but I'd like my user title to show up on the posts again. :D